NewRiders: When learning to ride The CLUTCH is your LIFE line not the breaks - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

NewRiders: When learning to ride The CLUTCH is your LIFE line not the breaks

When learning to ride.......what's the #1 thing that happens to newbies???

what we call "the Newbie Grip of Death!!"

That's when new riders will REACH for the break when in trouble and GRIP the heck out of it at the same time giving the bike more gas (POWER) making it rocket from under you......

REMEMBER THIS:

When in trouble get that clutch in and don't let go!!!!! this will kill the power to the bike and allow you to apply the breaks safely to stop......

Remember the breaks will stop your momentum BUT getting the clutch in makes sure your not giving your bike any more POWER to move forward....

.......respect the machine, be safe (wear proper gear to ride) and your welcome!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:39 PM

when you get scared jump off and roll up into a tight ball and roll into a controlled and safe stop

05 Vulcan Mean Streak, Vance & Hines Big Shots, Power Commander, Smoked Front lenses, 65 tbird rear signals 8000K HIDs, LED everything, black bullet headlight, teardrop mirrors, Barons Big Air kit, various powdercoated parts
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod View Post
when you get scared jump off and roll up into a tight ball and roll into a controlled and safe stop
Ummmmmmm ok....... guy

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicDaRula View Post

REMEMBER THIS:

When in trouble get that clutch in and don't let go!!!!! this will kill the power to the bike and allow you to apply the breaks safely to stop

well, if you do that you loose all traction from engine braking, upset the chassis AND if your cornering, it will make the bike 'stand up' and make you run wide and go into the ditch/tree you wana miss.......... keep it in gear, throw it down a gear if you get time, and use both 'breaks' (brakes) to take some speed off..... and use the bikes handling (usually the bike will get you through stuff you cant imagine) to avoid the impact if you can.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyvulcan View Post
well, if you do that you loose all traction from engine braking, upset the chassis AND if your cornering, it will make the bike 'stand up' and make you run wide and go into the ditch/tree you wana miss.......... keep it in gear, throw it down a gear if you get time, and use both 'breaks' (brakes) to take some speed off..... and use the bikes handling (usually the bike will get you through stuff you cant imagine) to avoid the impact if you can.
Yes very true for riders who are on the road or even above 1st gear.....but what Im referring to in my post is to BRAND NEW folk LEARNING to ride....you and I? most def we know how to get out of a jam on the road and no doubt keeping it in gear is best....

however Im aiming at folks learning to power walk....folks learning the power of their bikes or even how it works....first timers etc etc....I suppose I could have been more specific with my post....but nevertheless it stands true.....

if you get the "newbie power grip" going.... all that that you said is going to be useless.....the bike WILL shoot right out from under you as long as it's in gear and the clutch is out....

Your advice is SOUND advice for the folks who are a bit more advanced than the folks I was shooting for with my post....but it is very good advice non the less!!!

I should also say.......to ALL newbies......TAKE THE CLASS!!! its 100% the best way to go.....
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 11:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
When learning to ride.......what's the #1 thing that happens to newbies???

what we call "the Newbie Grip of Death!!"

That's when new riders will REACH for the break when in trouble and GRIP the heck out of it at the same time giving the bike more gas (POWER) making it rocket from under you......

REMEMBER THIS:

When in trouble get that clutch in and don't let go!!!!! this will kill the power to the bike and allow you to apply the breaks safely to stop......

Remember the breaks will stop your momentum BUT getting the clutch in makes sure your not giving your bike any more POWER to move forward....

.......respect the machine, be safe (wear proper gear to ride) and your welcome!!
Where are you getting your information?

'03 Vulcan 1600 Classic
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes very true for riders who are on the road or even above 1st gear.....but what Im referring to in my post is to BRAND NEW folk LEARNING to ride....you and I? most def we know how to get out of a jam on the road and no doubt keeping it in gear is best....

however Im aiming at folks learning to power walk....folks learning the power of their bikes or even how it works....first timers etc etc....I suppose I could have been more specific with my post....but nevertheless it stands true.....

if you get the "newbie power grip" going.... all that that you said is going to be useless.....the bike WILL shoot right out from under you as long as it's in gear and the clutch is out....

Your advice is SOUND advice for the folks who are a bit more advanced than the folks I was shooting for with my post....but it is very good advice non the less!!!

I should also say.......to ALL newbies......TAKE THE CLASS!!! its 100% the best way to go.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexlobular View Post
Where are you getting your information?
The MSF and most important....life....true story!!!
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:06 PM

Garage
Hmm. I just can't see this as being the "number one thing" that happens to new riders.

'03 Vulcan 1600 Classic
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

You were a new rider once........what do you think it is???
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 10:35 PM

Pushing it around the driveway and having it fall over....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode