Lost both keys - rookie rider - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 04:06 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 vulcan 2000
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: Blue
Since you dont have a key it kind of sucks, but I had a locksmith charge me $3 per key for my old boulevard c90, and for the vulcan 2000, the dealership wanted $25 per key for whatever reason( motorcycle dealers in the metro detroit area are all overpiced assholes, thats harley and metric dealers), i keep one for ridng, one spare on my main key ring, and two spares at home, little anal, but always have a key. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 05:40 PM

Garage
If you can get a key blank, a good locksmith should be able to key it using just a small file. I've had it done with a toolbox lock and seen it done on other locks.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

I care more about SPG (smiles per gallon)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
than MPG (miles per gallon)

2009 Vulcan 500 LTD
Scootworks Risers
Slipstreamer Enterprise windshield
Protac driver backrest
Rumble Road speaker system
River Road saddlebags
Priority Plus tail light module
Kuryakyn chrome accessory plug
Kuryakyn ISO grips (6235)with Throttle Boss
JTF512 17tooth sprocket
"Manuel/Vicente" custom engine guard
Hardley highway pegs (freebies)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kfolse107; 03-07-2012 at 07:06 PM.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 AM
twp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
hide one on your bike ... ie back rest if you have one .... 'cause someone always has a pair of plyers

I never thought about putting one there. I think that is a good spot. Not alot of places to hide a key on a bike.

Tim

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 03:32 PM

I keep one copy, Wife keeps other. If she looses hers, I yell at her. Never lost a key yet!

hank

2009 VV1700 ABS, Champion triked
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymankirk View Post
you have nothing to worry about. I am a locksmith and make keys for bikes all the time. Call a good automotive locksmith in your area and he will pick open the gas tank and make a key for the ignition. The gas cap has fewer waffers than the ignition and he will progress the missing cuts to make the key. There may be a code stamped on the inside of the gas cap to make a key from it.
Thank you for this information. Kawasaki is out of the key replacement business. Doesn't matter if you have the key #, vin#, title.....they no longer make keys. There used to be a site called Kawasakikeys.com that the dealers could use but it is out of business.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnally View Post
Thank you for this information. Kawasaki is out of the key replacement business. Doesn't matter if you have the key #, vin#, title.....they no longer make keys. There used to be a site called Kawasakikeys.com that the dealers could use but it is out of business.
Wow... all the more reason I really need to get some replacements.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 08:00 PM

Ahhh, the joys of a hick town. I went into my local Mom-and-Pop hardware store with a bent & cracked key (bought it that way) and the guy looked over his blanks and said, "I think this'n'll do," and cut me a key. Happy customer,

Jeff

Vietnam Vet; Combat Infantryman's Badge; Purple Heart w/ Oak Leaf Cluster
Patriot Guard Rider

2007 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Kuryakyn Passenger Floorboards
LeatherLyke Large Cruiser Case; Mustang Seat; Baron pullback risers
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500L Nomad FI
Displacement/CC's: 1500cc
Color: Burgundy/silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideInRed View Post
Ahhh, the joys of a hick town.
Tell me about it. In one stop, I can get new keys cut, pick up a spark plug gap tool, find a clamp for my new exhaust, get a can of carb cleaner, and get talked into a home made whoopie pie.

And no, I'm not talking about Walmart.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 01:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnally View Post
Hi everybody - in my continuing quest for some duplicate keys, I have discovered (directly from Kawasaki consumer services) that "KawasakiKeys" is still operating, but the problem is that they only sell to DEALERS online. But I did get their phone number - 415-386-3900.

They do cut replacement keys, both from the key code as well as using a PHOTOGRAPH (kinda cool). But, at a hefty price of $35/key. They are also in San Francisco, CA, so it will also cost shipping. They also require a copy of your drivers license and registration (I guess to prevent unlawful copies). You have to call them and they will email or fax you an order form. I would have attached the PDF if this forum would allow it...

Personally I'm hesitant to pay $35/key...but it seems this is the recommended approach for a guaranteed key.

2006 Vulcan 1500 Classic Anniversary
Vance & Hines pipes

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doonger View Post
Hi everybody - in my continuing quest for some duplicate keys, I have discovered (directly from Kawasaki consumer services) that "KawasakiKeys" is still operating, but the problem is that they only sell to DEALERS online. But I did get their phone number - 415-386-3900.

They do cut replacement keys, both from the key code as well as using a PHOTOGRAPH (kinda cool). But, at a hefty price of $35/key. They are also in San Francisco, CA, so it will also cost shipping. They also require a copy of your drivers license and registration (I guess to prevent unlawful copies). You have to call them and they will email or fax you an order form. I would have attached the PDF if this forum would allow it...

Personally I'm hesitant to pay $35/key...but it seems this is the recommended approach for a guaranteed key.
Have you got an Ace hardware store nearby? Those are independently owned and more often than not are very 'mom and pop' in nature. A local one might have a manual key cutting machine that can make copies based on your blanks. True Value and Dickey Bub are also independently owned chains if you have those where you're at. The reason they tend to have manual machines and chains don't is because the manual machines require some training and an ounce of skill (not really, but some...) The cartridge machines are not much more than pushing a button. Chain places don't like to waste money on training!

I used to work at an Ace store in high school. If you brought in a couple blanks for me to cut I'd probably only charge ya a buck each... if anything at all. I've seen the blanks online for $5 or so, add a buck or two a piece to cut them.. you're good to go. Another option is a locksmith. They'll definitely have a manual key cutting machine they can cut those blanks with. (It's nothing more than a cutting wheel on one side and a guide on the other, with clamps to hold each key. If it's got teeth, it can be copied. I even made working copies of keys that were bent and broken in three pieces!)

Here's an eBay link for $5 keys with free shipping. A locksmith will be the most expensive if a hardware store won't do it but it'll still only be a couple bucks. Likely no need for ID or registration, and alot cheaper than $35. No worries about it not working, I'm confident you'll get a working copy if it's cut with a manual machine.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 04-12-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode