MSF course - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

MSF course

I'm so excited. I will be starting my MSF course next week and I can;t wait. The wife bought me a helmet for my birthday last week so now I am just going to buy some gloves and glasses and I am all set for class. Still looking at getting a Vulcan 900 custom but now I think I'm leaning towards the classic because I am 6'5 and will need to make some adjustments. Does anyone know a good price range? I have found a few in my area for for 2-3000 and some around 4-5000. I am trying to keep it under 5000 for my first bike. I think i am also leaning toward the 2009 model as well. Ill check back in after my class to let everyone know how it went.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 02:04 PM

Model year is not really important. $2-3k is a good range. Dealers are usually around $3-4.5k.

Welcome to the club!
otecomputer likes this.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Got mine for $3,500 with 9500 miles on it. spent $2,100 in mods. Total cost $5,600.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proven to be true. Anything else we have to take our chances with

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 02:45 PM

Awesome, Rob! I thought the MSF would be rather boring and more of a formality when I signed up for it, but it was definitely much better than I originally anticipated!

Depending on the amount of add-ons and such, 2-3.5k seems pretty doable where I live (Kansas City, Kansas) for a fairly basic setup and 3.5-5k will get you a pretty tricked out bike with bags, rack, windshield, low miles, etc... You can definitely get a solid 900 with that price range.

'97 Vulcan 1500 Classic 88
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks yeah those are the same prices I am seeing and I am in Southern California.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 04:33 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
The Custom actually has a more feet forward position. But the 900 in general is a pretty laid back position. You'll do fine with a Custom or a Classic. Get the one you want!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

I really like the custom but I love the floorboards on the classic.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Custom looks cool with thin front tire, but riding with a thin tire has tradeoffs. It is easier to turn but less traction and it catches the grooves in the road more than a fatter tire on classic. If you ever want to go on long rides you might prefer fat front tire to a skinny one. Also pavement in our state of California leaves a lot to be desired compared to other states in the union. Depending on what you are looking for in the bike you might want to consider classic instead. Have you ridden bikes before? If not, you will find familiar roads strangely unfamiliar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:49 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Yeah the fat front tire is a much nicer ride on longer rides. Remember your tires ARE a part of your suspension. A skinny tire on a big rim looks cool but cuts down on your 'suspension'. A big fat tire doesn't handle as well but rolls right over the pavement nice and stable and smooth.

That doesn't mean a Custom isn't a capable long-distance ride. And not everyone is into long distance riding.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 10:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
That doesn't mean a Custom isn't a capable long-distance ride. And not everyone is into long distance riding.
Yeh. Agree with that statement. You can go long distance on custom too. On the bikes whenever you add/subtract something you always compromise. You gain something and you are losing something. For example. Add Küryakin footpegs and you gain three positions for your legs/feet. This is very comfy on long distance ride. You can have your feet on floorboards, hill on the floorboard and toe on the peg or completely on the peg stretching your legs. You lose in width. Now you are wider. Add a fairing/windshield and you are protected from the wind. Again good for long trip, but you are losing the wind feel on the short runs. Add super fat rear tire. You gain super cool look, more grip but you lose a little in maneuverability. Add loud pipes, you get noticed in traffic, but your neighbours plot against you. Get a sport bike, and you gain in speed around corners, and take off speed from the line, but you sacrifice comfort on long distance. I can go on. But you get the point. It is all about trade off. What is it that YOU want. We are all different kind of bikers. This is why we have different kinds of bikes. Vulcans are very good platform for customization. This is why they are so popular. If stock setup does not "fit" your needs, customise it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode