Which 900 & Price Question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Which 900 & Price Question

Hi, I'm going to be a new rider, taking the Riders Edge course next week. I'm making the assumption that I will pass it and enjoy riding.

I've been looking at good starter bikes, and at 6'5", 290, the Vulcan 900 comes up. I've sat on them in the dealer, and it feels comfortable.

I may be getting ahead of myself, but which one do I get? I see on the Kawasaki website that they have the following deals going:

2009 VulcanŽ 900 Classic was $7,499 now $6,499
2009 VulcanŽ 900 Custom was $7,699 now $6,699
2009 VulcanŽ 900 Custom SE was $8,099 now $7,099
2009 VulcanŽ 900 Classic LT was $8,799 now $7,799

Are these good prices? I know if you look at KBB you will see that a used 2009 900 LT is $6800. Should I be able to get a better deal?

Should I go with a classic, and add the windshield, saddlebags, etc later on? I live in a part of California that sees freezing temps, and extreme heat. Lots of wind along the 58 from Tehachapi to Vegas too.

Anyone have any suggestions that could help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:59 PM
zig
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Welcome to the sight Brutus. I'm going to be the first to tell you the same others will surely repeat....buy what's right for you. Try them all, pick the one that's best for YOU! I ride a 09 Classic and I love it! I like the customs also. I'm 6', you might feel a little cramped if you ride for extended lengths of time, might want some crash bars with pegs on them to give you an option to stretch out. The 900 will make you a great bike to start off with. You'll enjoy the riding class and riding, especially since you live in a pretty area. Nothing like outrunning the work-related-stress on Friday afternoons. As far as the price, I bought my 09 Classic in 08 and paid about the "was price" but be careful, it was about the "now" price advertised, and after I saw her and sat on her at the dealers, they started talking about "freight" and "assembly"....it added up pretty quickly. See if that's the "out-the-door" price, then compare around to other "out-the-door" prices to put every dealer on equal playing fields. I'd kind of like to think you could get a 09 a little cheaper half-way through '11. Post some pictures when you get her.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. The prices I quoted were from the Kawasaki website. The dealers I have been to have the "Now" price tag. When I mentioned the Kawasaki website they said they could do that. Those are not out the door prices. I figure whatever I end up paying I will have to add $1500 - $2000 since I live in California.

I'm thinking that I will use it to commute to work as often as possible, about 40 miles each way. As well as taking some riding trips, once I get used to riding.

The reason I asked about starting with an LT, which has pretty much everything installed, except the engine guard, and the Classic, which has nothing is, would it be better / cheaper to add aftermarket accessories, or just get everything together to start?

I also imagine when I am just taking a short distance ride through the mountains where I live, I would like to remove the windscreen. Is it hard to remove and then re-attach windscreens?

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 06:26 PM
zig
Lifetime Premium

Garage
You can get some quick-release windshields. I bought the Classic and have since added all the extras to make it a "LT". I did that so I wouldn't be paying interest on each add-on by having it added to the price. The dealer even tried to add the price of the helmet I wanted into the overall price of the bike. I wasn't as thorough as I should have been with dealing with the dealer, but it pissed me off enough that I hunkered down and paid her off in less than one year! I waited until I could get the add-ons one at a time for cash. I did buy the windshield from the dealer, but the saddlebags I bought used from ebay, the lowers I bought from ebay, the risers I bought from...I can't remember, one of the internet sites, the trunk I bought from ebay (had it painted at a local auto body shop)
Your situation may be better off than mine was. It would definitely have been more convenient to have it all at once. Interest on that extra 1400 to 1500 dollars would have made it harder to pay off in one year.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
... I'm thinking that I will use it to commute to work as often as possible, about 40 miles each way. As well as taking some riding trips, once I get used to riding.
The reason I asked about starting with an LT, which has pretty much everything installed, except the engine guard, and the Classic, which has nothing is, would it be better / cheaper to add aftermarket accessories, or just get everything together to start?
I would opt for the LT myself and if you're going to commute, saddle bags come in real handy for carrying those extras.
I would also HIGHLY recommend adding on a engine guard immediately or ASAP. It can help save your bike and yourself when you drop it, and everyone does sooner or later. Believe me........!
Personally, I prefer the OEM engine guard and especially if you decide to add lowers later. It helps keep interference problems to a minimum.

Oh, and congrats on taking the MSF class because that's the best way to get started. Welcome to the forum also!

Skeeter

Skeeter
When you’re PSYCHOTIC you never ride A L O N E !

'02 Nomad 1500 FI

Patriot Guard Rider #330
ChromeAholics #759
KawaNow #1391
VROC #31938

Last edited by Skeeter; 06-16-2011 at 06:56 PM.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:57 PM

I went with the classic over the LT myself, and I'm just as big as you (6'6", 265) and after swapping out for a mustang seat it's very comfy. My reason was the look...there were 3 LT's sitting next to each other and with minor variations in paint they all looked the same. Same bags, same sissy bar, same windshield...

I've been able to add the seat, shield, lindby bar, sissybar, luggage rack, bags...for less than the difference between the two at the time. These were both 2010 models, and back in April I got mine for under 7k out the door.

The classic is awesome, I'm pretty sure you'll love it. Give the stock seat a good try, a (very) few have been OK with it, and if you are then you just saved yerself a few hundred bucks.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:21 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager/2006 Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700/1552
Color: black/gunmetal gray/Green
Garage
thought about used

Being you first bike. you may want to look for a good used one. A lot of guys think they want to ride go out buy new, then never really ride and sell with real low miles for about 1/2 to 2/3 cost of new. Or buy one then want to upgrade in a year to some thing bigger and take a hit on the cost. I seen 2009 900 lts with 2500 miles for under $5800 on craigslist. just a thought. My self personaly I always buyused (bikes and trucks). let someone else take the hit. Just have to shop around. Hope you enjoy what every you deside.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Top Contributor

What Plumber said............... At 6ft5in 290lbs if you really get into riding you might want to go bigger , more HP after a while ....... Mrs. Bulldozer graduated from a 650 ( after saying that would be the biggest bike she would ever want the day we bought it ) to a 900 in 2 weeks now she is sittin on my beast with that far away look in her eye all the time ( im not sure if she is thinkin about upgrading her bike or me ) so maybe we will start looking at 1500s ...... Sit on a V2K it might be a bike for the future... Bulldozer

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote <Ben Franklin?>

2008 V2K
Gone to the Darkside
Hard Krome 2-1
Power Commander
Custom Paint
Wheels, Forks,Rotors,Calipers all polished

2008 V900 Customized By ROAR
2-1 Exhaust
Baron Big Air
Scootworks Pulleys
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at used, but around where I live the price difference between new and used is about $1K - $2K.

First thing I plan on doing when I get a bike is put on the engine guard. I wonder if a dealer would go below $6500 for a new 2009 classic? (That is not out the door price).
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 02:12 PM
V2K Rogue Wrangler

Brutus, welcome to the site. Just a thought, a lot of used bikes may only be $1K to $2K less than a new one, but many of them already have the extra goodies added so that you won't have to pay more for them down the line. I got my V2K used with all the extras that I would have needed to add if I had purchased it new and for a lot less $$$! The extras would have totaled at least $1500. I got the driving lights, luggage rack, crash bars, tachometer, lower deflectors, K&N filter, and several chrome pieces. The previous owner really took a big hit on this baby and I'm glad he did because I got it for a song!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode