New to STL - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

New to STL

Just joined the forum yesterday. I have been thinking about making some mods to my bike and this place seems full of info.

If anyone is in or around STL let me know. I actually live in Bethalto, IL but work downtown.

I have been looking for the best place to buy stuff for my bike.

Thank you and safe riding.

Walt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Welcome to the forum from MN.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 PM

I would check out Cycle Gear. They are on the Rock road and N67

Mike

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 12:06 AM

Welcome Walt. STL here as well. There is a meetup group ridestl.com that does weekly rides in the area if you are interested. Cyclegear is a good place in the area. Cycle house Performance on Watson is another well respected local shop. I just had tires replaced at Cyclehouse performance and they were great to deal with.

2009 900 SE
Black Iso Grips
Mustang wide touring seat
Fully debaffled exhaust
Kawasaki gloss black back rest and luggage rack
Metzeler ME880 200 70 R15
Metzeler ME880 MH 90 21
Sena SHM10 Bluetooth intercom
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I'm a newbie (super newbie, haven't even picked the bike up yet), and sort of from the STL area. About an hour southwest. I actually found alot of gear and things at Big St.Charles Motorsports, shouldn't be too far from you. A whole lot more than I found at Cycle Gear. I was extremely disappointed in Cycle Gear's sales staff (Much too good to help little old me, one literally rolled his eyes and huffed and puffed when I asked where something was, then managed to lean away from the counter long enough to point in the general direction, never found it. Big St.Charles had it though, the lady in the motorclothes department was super helpful). That, and they had a very limited selection of helmet (Your either gonna spend $20 or $500, nothing in between).

That said, maybe I should give them another try. They came highly recommended to me, and folks here are recommending them too. I just couldn't get over how awful the sales staff was. I'm sure they were tired, I showed up after work and it's over an hour drive so I was there 30 minutes before they closed (Wanted to get an HJC CL-16 helmet, which they didn't carry, tried to look for some other stuff, but it was like pulling teeth to get any help. I was the only customer in the store, three employees were leaning on the front counter chatting). Still, I'd think SOME service isn't too much to ask. It is not an exaggeration to say that during my entire time there, with three employees and me being the only customer (someone was walking out as I walked in, but nobody was in there when I got there), nobody said a single word to me. When I asked about some gloves I got a finger point (he didn't even break eye contact with his co-worker he was chatting about the weekend with). I went back up and asked about the helmet, after a sigh the other guy just shook his head and said "nope" (Okay, ONE word), after that I left.

My $0.02!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
That said, maybe I should give them another try.
If I was treated that way, I wouldn't bother going back. Just imagine what they're going to do *after* they've taken your money.

Joe
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusjoe View Post
If I was treated that way, I wouldn't bother going back. Just imagine what they're going to do *after* they've taken your money.

Joe
Having worked retail I have a little sympathy, it can be tiring (not necessarily labor intensive, but you do get sick of dealing with folks who think you are personally responsible for why their products don't cost the same as they did in 1964. And you are personally responsible for being out of stock, and should drive them to the next store yourself! haha). That said, I don't think I ever treated a customer like that. I always reminded myself that I was getting paid, and they were paying me. Not paying me much, but paying me. If all I have to do is sit and listen to someone whine for a few minutes and then get paid a couple bucks for it, well that's not such a bad deal.

Anyway, I still might give them another try. Only because so many people have good things to say about them. That and, maybe they have more stuff that I just couldn't find (I didn't stay long, the service put me off plus it was almost quittin' time there), they are alot closer than Big St.Charles.

That said, I've always had fantastic service from Big St.Charles. From folks helping me fit a helmet or find certain gear, to the salesmen in the pre-owned bikes department who were helpful and surprisingly low-pressure. (I've often found big dealerships like that, with cars anyway, to be sell-it-fast-and-move-on-to-the-next-schmuck). Those guys were great. Highly recommended if your in the area.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 01:04 PM

I have had nothing but good luck with big st charles motorsports. The only reason I didn't buy my bike from them is because they couldn't figure out how the dealer got the price that low so they wouldn't match it. I have been out to big several times in the past few weeks and every time they are nothing but helpful.

If your in the st louis area and looking for an amazing deal on a vulcan, call elli's cycles. I bought my bike there last month and the price was so low every other dealer I went to told me to buy the bike because they couldn't come close to the price.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 08:29 PM

Welcome Walt and hello to everyone else who is posting replies...

I would like to invite you all to check out the Shadow Riders of St. Louis. We are an all-brand motorcycle club... the largest in the STL metro area, and we have an organized ride every single Sunday during the three riding seasons. We meet at the Old Orchard Shopping Center in Ballwin (Manchester Rd.) in the parking lot in front of where Old Country Buffet used to be between 9 and 10 a.m. with kickstands up at 10 a.m. We ride usually 80 to 120 miles on rural roads to a great lunch destination.

Please be my guest and come for a ride! Also google us... just search for Shadow Riders St. Louis to find our website! Just introduce yourself to anyone else there and we will give you the VIP treatment!

Joel Anderson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - Candy Fire Red/Metallic Diablo Black

Cobra True Duals Billet-Tip exhaust
UniqCycle Sounds mp3 speakers and amp
Kuryakyn lighter/power outlet
Kuryakyn ISO grips and hwy pegs
Cobra luggage rack
windshield bag
tank bib

Patriot Guard Rider
Shadow Riders of St. Louis
VBA #01926
VROC #34332
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 02:30 PM

Walt STL.
Welcome. I live in Columbia but spend my weekends in the ST Louis area. As Romans5.8 said, Big in St Charles is a pretty good place to go. I actually bought my bike from them. Another option for you is Neihaus Cycle in Litchfield. They are big into Wings but they also have a lot of other parts. Great people too. After that, there are a ton of web sites to browse for stuff. I also found that going to MC events will give you access to vendors and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode