MSF Question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

MSF Question

Hi, all. First post here, so be gentle. I'm taking my MSF course this Saturday and was wondering if anyone on here had taken theirs at Sunshine's in Lawrenceville, GA? One thing that is giving me second thoughts about my choice is that it is only a one-day course (excluding the riding exam) and from what I've seen, most courses are at least two days. I found the course through the MSF website, so I would assume it is reputable, and I have spent some time on scooters as well as driving a stick shift daily, so I am hoping that everything will be OK. They do offer additional seat time before the exam (at additional $$, of course) prior to the exam if needed.

I'm holding off on hunting for a bike (except for a little internet research) until after I've taken the course just in the unlikely case that I really decide that it's not for me, but I'm sure I'll be back next week to bend some ears.

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 AM

It depends on how many other people are in the course. If it's only one day, they probably limit the amount of riders to ten or less. One day is plenty of time to cover everything in the course, so long as the instructor is good at it and is assertive about what you are doing wrong and what you can do to make it better.

When I took the basic course, it was only a one day course because it was offered for free when I was in the Air Force and it was during a duty day, so they try to limit your down time at work. But they had plenty of time to explain and demonstrate all of the exercises well enough that everyone in the course passed just fine.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:44 AM
krb

Mine was a 3 day class, but that was 3-4 hours of classroom on a Friday night, noon till 5 on Saturday, noon till about 3 on Sunday and then we did the riding exam. There was also another session that sat with us for the classroom portion on Friday but they did their riding from 7 till noon on Sat and Sunday. We had 11 riders in my session and there were 20 something people in the classroom so there was a good bit of time spent waiting for other people.

With fewer people a good instructor should be able to fit all of the material into a single day. My concern would be mental fatigue. IMO it was good to let the first riding day's training have time to "sink in" before moving on to the rest of the exercises.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 AM

Attached is a link to the NC schedule for the course I took in South Carolina, over three days (Friday evening in classroom, then all day Saturday and Sunday on a bike that they supplied). I thought the course was excellent, with a great deal of stress on SAFE RIDING!

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=NC

Have now been riding for three years, about 25K miles, and I still use what I learned. Money well spent.

I think you have the right idea about buying a bike - take the course, make sure it is right for you, then decide on what to buy. Good luck.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:34 AM

Garage
When i took mine it was 3 days. We really didn't learn much after the 1st day it was people practicing what they were taught.

Current - 2015 Vulcan S
82 maxim 650 - Sold.
2010 vulcan 900 custom SE - sold
07 ninja 650r -sold
82 Maxim 550 -sold
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Top Contributor

Mine was 3 days (if memory serves). I took the Rider's Edge (Harley sponsored) course, and it was about 85% of really good class time (over half of it in the saddle) and 15% discussion of which model of Harley or Buell we were going to buy, and which HD accessories would suit our riding the best. I was pretty quiet during that part.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:52 AM

Here's to BILL BRASKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't resist
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 12:00 PM

I had 4 classes. 2 Thursdays (full group, about 20 people, 6-8:30), then 2 Sundays (8-12:30). The sunday classes were split with half of the thursday class going saturday and the other half on sunday. Thursdays were in class reading/discussion, and Sat/Sun were riding. At the end of the class on the 2nd Sat/Sun if you passed the skills test they stamped your permit (If you passed the 50 question test you had on the 2nd Thursday). I learned alot and would recommend it to everyone. especially when they cover emergency manuevers.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:07 PM
krb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Braske View Post
Mine was 3 days (if memory serves). I took the Rider's Edge (Harley sponsored) course, and it was about 85% of really good class time (over half of it in the saddle) and 15% discussion of which model of Harley or Buell we were going to buy, and which HD accessories would suit our riding the best. I was pretty quiet during that part.
We didn't have much of that in my session but I got the impression that the morning session was like that. Being in the afternoon session meant I was with all the 18 year old crotch rocket boys who can't get out of bed before noon.

That first night when the instructors went around the room and had us all introduce ourselves, part of the introduction was supposed to be "what bike do you have or plan to get" and everybody in the morning rode alphabet soup, apparently. Lots of "I've got a Harley FLMNOPQ with the chrome dimplewinkers" or some such, assuming that everybody else knows or cares about the HD model codes. When it was my turn I was sorely tempted to say I rode an "FUFANBOY" but I figured there was no need to stir the pot like that.

(ETA: Nothing against Harley's or Harley riders, just a general disdain for people so insecure that they need to exclude others by doing things like using model number lingo instead of just saying "Road King" or "Fat Boy.)

Last edited by krb; 05-04-2011 at 03:47 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
length... irrelevant. content... most important! as well as the teacher...

mine was a day and a half and then the riding test at the end of it. the teachers were excellent! had alot of information to add, even stuff not addressed in the test books.

i enjoyed taking it and it did open my eyes up a bit. however, reality plays a big roll when riding on the road and seeing that people out there just don't give a sh!t whether you are on a bike, in a car, or even in a big rig it doesn't matter!!! stay alert, be safe and stay alive!!!

'02 Drifter 1500
... just an awesome ride!

'08 Custom-ized
Candy Lime Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode