protective gear - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

protective gear

When I first started riding I wore a helmet, and leather. After a bit I wore nothing and rode in t-shirt and jeans with no helmet.
Sold the bike when starting a family and just got a new one again. I got a new helmet and always wear one but have been debating whether I need leather. Do you guys wear a jacket, chaps, gloves, or what is your preference in protective gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Completely depends on the weather for me. The colder it gets, the more i put on. Hot days will still find me wearing at least a shirt, jeans, gloves (with fingers), and boots though.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Top Contributor

I always ride in an armored jacket, full face helmet, and gloves. The jacket doesn't have to be leather, as long as it's adequately armored to survive a fall and subsequent slide. I'm still using the textile Fieldsheer jacket I had on when a deer ran out in front of me on the Parkway 5 years ago. Hit and tumbled at 45 or so and walked away without a scratch. That was enough to keep me wearing the gear for good.

'99 Vulcan 500, 29k miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

This is the jacket I am looking at http://www.mmccleather.com/leather-j...azy-horse.html
Theisens has it at 25% off.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound View Post
When I first started riding I wore a helmet, and leather. After a bit I wore nothing and rode in t-shirt and jeans with no helmet.
Sold the bike when starting a family and just got a new one again. I got a new helmet and always wear one but have been debating whether I need leather. Do you guys wear a jacket, chaps, gloves, or what is your preference in protective gear?
bloodhound,

Like you, I was once young and foolish. However, like you, I have learned the error of my old ways and reformed.

Everyone is different, but for me, no matter how hot it is, this is the MINIMUM:

T-shirt
Jeans
Eye protection (face visor or safety glasses)
Boots
Light leather riding gloves
Jean jacket (and usually the leather X-Element jacket, unless SCORCHING HOT)

More extended rides (higher highway speeds) alway the leather - no matter how hot.

When it's too hot, the full-face helmet is too much for me to take. I know I should always wear it, but I enjoy the air too much.

Also, unless wearing a full-face visored helmet or a face shield on your more open helmet, get some full coverage safety sunglasses (and clear safety glasses for night riding). It's not easy to recover from a big bug or a small stone in the eye at 70+mph.

GRIFFJO
Montani Semper Liberi

2003 Vulcan® 800 Classic - Pearl Mystic Black
National Cycle Custom Heavy-Duty Windshield
Mustang Two-Piece Wide Vintage Touring Saddle
Volar SissyBar/Backrest - K&N Air Filter
Viking Quarter Circle SaddleBags & SissyBar Bag
Scootworks Sprockets (18/40 - 2.222:1 ratio)
Baron 3" Bullet Tachometer - Engine Guard (black gloss finish)
Michelin COMMANDER II front 130/90-16 73H, rear 140/90-16 77H
EK X-Ring Chain, Deer Warning Whistles & BackOFF® Brake Module
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Yea I always wear the full face helmet (bell star) if the speed will exceed 35 or so. I went and bought the jacket tonight. I still need to decide if I am getting the chaps though.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 05:51 AM
Top Contributor

I always wear all of the gear. My GX Air with all of the liners out is quite cool in hot weather and still gives me protection.

GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Saddlemen Cruis'n Large Slant Saddlebags
Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips and Throttle Boss
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 06:57 AM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Dress for the Slide.. not for the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound View Post
Yea I always wear the full face helmet (bell star) if the speed will exceed 35 or so. I went and bought the jacket tonight. I still need to decide if I am getting the chaps though.
houndoggy, you did good. them kiddo's are counting on you to be around for a while. hey, somebody has got to pick up the tab for all this fun.

FF helmet is best. I take the check pads out for summer. It allows more ventilation in around the numskull. still gives a good bit of face protection should you get served a heaping plate of asphalt. That stuff dont taste none too good. leaves bad aftertaste.

Mesh Jackets are the tiket for warm weather riding. When it gets hot..100f+ in these parts, not even the mesh is cool 'nuff.

I use a Wet Vest for running accross the desert. It has some poly-crap in it that holds 1 gallon of water. Not to drink. It evaporates as you ride and knocks 10-30f off your chest n back. It can be downright chilly at times. But it helps reduce body temp and core temp to keep you from blacking out while at speed. not a good thing. the blacking out part. the Vest is a good thing.

ok, gear up for the kiddo's. they wouldn't have it any other way. ponch out

not another boring list of mods;
14 guzzi v14, 14 Injun chieftain v18, 13 guzzi v7, 12 hardley 48
07 kaw v2k, 07 guzzi v11, 07 yam v17, 07 96ci 'lectraglide
06 88ci superglide, 05 hardley 883, 05 yam v17
04 zooki sv1k, 03 guzzi v11, 02 kaw v15
01 Honda 750, 00 hardley 883, 84 Honda v7 supermagna, 99 hardley 883
92 zooki v8 sport, 88 zooki 650 thumper, 84 Honda 500 thumper
80 Honda 360t, 78 Honda cb500f, 75 Honda cb750f
73 Honda cb500f, 73 Yam TX750 blow up bike, 72 Honda cb350t
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

Dress for the slide ... not the ride, i like that. For me on the highway, touring, textile jacket with armor, heavy jeans with armor, boots, full face helmet and gloves. My textile jacket has a complete zip out and converts to full mesh with the armor still in place. It also comes with a full quilted liner for colder weather ... 2 Jackets in one.

Putting around town is min jeans, mesh coat, gloves, helmet and boots.

I do have chaps and a leather jacket, as well as armor textile touring pants and coat from my sport touring days, may not look cool but in realy bad, cold , wet weather it does the job.

Anything is better than nothing ... when i was 16 i was out riding thru an intersection when a drunk driver ran a stop sign, i plowed right into the side of him wearing flip flops, shorts, muscle shirt and helmet, boy did i get carved up, no broken bones but lots of gravel rash, next day i was back out riding with protective gear on .. jeans, t shirt gloves and a new helmet on, had to wear flip flops again as my shoes would not fit over my bandaged toes.

Fortunately these days I'm slightly wiser.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

Last edited by whiting57; 04-23-2011 at 10:56 AM.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 11:26 AM
krb

I picked up a Joe Rocket jacket at a store that was having a big clearance sale. It's a nylon jacket with some built-in padding and it has zip open vents on the front and back. It breathes very well and is surprisingly comfortable so long as you are moving. We'll see how it feels in July and August but at least for the rest of the year it seems fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode