I picked a fight with the passenger footpeg - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

I picked a fight with the passenger footpeg

I did a real stooopid thing a couple weeks ago. I've been riding about 6 months now on my Vulcan 900lt. For some reason that I have no idea why I did this, I went to get on my bike in my garage and get on it. Usually I leave the kickstand down then get on, then put the stand up.

But this time I stood beside it and pushed it to upright then kicked the kickstand up. It felt like it was going to tip to the other side, so I swung my right leg towards bike to keep it from going over. But when I did that somehow I really really hit my shin hard on the passenger foot peg. I now have a severe bruise along with a surface blood clot there and of course a huge knot sticking out

But the good news is I didn't drop the bike. Lesson learned on getting on the durn thing.

To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back.

2011 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 11:12 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I always get on from the right side so if for some reason I slip or loose my balance and I catch myself on the bike, the stand will keep it from hitting the ground. Glad its not any worse for you.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 08:00 AM
wocka, wocka, wocka

you gotta understand.. i tell stories to the kiddos.. keep em occupied and outa truble.. for a spell,, so you gotta make em good and bigger is better.. leave the lil buggers wide eyed and speechless..
so am reading this post and my lil brain is seeing this story play out.. it goes like this;

there you are all ready to go for that "special ride", yor all decked out in ride gear just anticipating what the road has to say to you this day.
you open the g'rage and breath in that first breath of cool morning air, it tingles in your chest and makes you all frisky for that first set of trax on the fresh fallen snow.. wait, wait, this is a motorcycle story.. ok, ok, it makes you want to roll as the road is empty and all yors, the morning sun is not yet up and the sky is still full of late nite stars.. today is gonna be a good day to ride.

So you scan your Stead and take in her lines, all the smooth shiney paint and krome you skrubbed and polished days b4. The motor, its presence is visually stimulating and you know that when you hit the "go" button the breath of fire will eminate from its bowels. Its heartbeat is visceral, you can hardly wait.. to take this filly for romp in the fresh morning dew

You'r standing astride the beast, your anticipation is getting ahead of your standard routine and common sense.. you grab her by the reigns and give her a lil kik (stand) before having properly mounted her saddle.. She reacts to this unexpected poke in the ribs, a bit rattled and takes a half side step away from you just enuff to pull you off balance and loose control of those reigns.

watt it really looks like is the bike fell over to the right side and dragged you with it. that bruise on your shin is where your filly kicked you and your lucky it was just the shin as she was aiming for your head. so now she is laying over on her side and you are on top and got all your gear tangled up in her protrusions. you are trapped on top and cant get up or off and the more you wiggle the more damage you do to her, so you just stop and accept your predictment and hope you can resolve this before anybody discovers you and takes a picture and post it on the internet where everybody gets a a good laff.

butt you manage to bump the g'rage door remote and she closes on your unsightly mess.. you being exhausted from all this unexpected activity.. settle in for the inevitable.. hours later the g'rage door opens and the wifey is looking at this heap of leather and krome, a puddle of oil, gas and tears.. and yor bes buddy 'el poocho' is the only one happy to see you and joins in the party with licks to your face from a tongue that has just recently scrubbed his butt..

yes, this is how i imagined this really went down.. hey, if yor gonna tell us a story, tell it rite! poncho

Last edited by Poncho Villa; 10-31-2014 at 10:53 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Living The Dream

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Villa View Post
you gotta understand.. i tell stories to the kiddos.. keep em occupied and outa truble.. for a spell,, so you gotta make em good and bigger is better.. leave the lil buggers wide eyed and speechless..
so am reading this post and my lil brain is seeing this story play out.. it goes like this;

there you are all ready to go for that "special ride", yor all decked out in ride gear just anticipating what the road has to say to you this day.
you open the g'rage and breath in that first breath of cool morning air, it tingles in your chest and makes you all frisky for that first set of trax on the fresh fallen snow.. wait, wait, this is a motorcycle story.. ok, ok, it makes you want to roll as the road is empty and all yors, the morning sun is not yet up and the sky is still full of late nite stars.. today is gonna be a good day to ride.

So you scan your Stead and take in her lines, all the smooth shiney paint and krome you skrubbed and polished days b4. The motor, its presence is visually stimulating and you know that when you hit the "go" button the breath of fire will eminate from its bowels. Its heartbeat is visceral, you can hardly wait.. to take this filly for romp in the fresh morning dew

You'r standing astride the beast, your anticipation is getting ahead of your standard routine and common sense.. you grab her by the reigns and give her a lil kik (stand) before having properly mounted her saddle.. She reacts to this unexpected poke in the ribs, a bit rattled and takes a half side step away from you just enuff to pull you off balance and loose control of those reigns.

watt it really looks like is the bike fell over to the right side and dragged you with it. that bruise on your shin is where your filly kicked you and your lucky it was just the shin as she was aiming for your head. so now she is laying over on her side and you are on top and got all your gear tangled up in her protrusions. you are trapped on top and cant get up or off and the more you wiggle the more damage you do to her, so you just stop and accept your predictment and hope you can resolve this before anybody discovers you and takes a picture and post it on the internet where everybody gets a a good laff.

butt you manage to bump the g'rage door remote and she closes on your unsightly mess.. you being exhausted from all this unexpected activity.. settle in for the inevitable.. hours later the g'rage door opens and the wifey is looking at this heap of leather and krome, a puddle of oil, gas and tears.. and yor bes buddy 'el poocho' is the only one happy to see you and joins in the party with licks to your face from a tongue that has just recently scrubbed his butt..

yes, this is how i imagined this really went down.. hey, if yor gonna tell us a story, tell it rite! poncho
Thanks Ponch! I needed a good story this morning, LOL!

I also always mount from the right. With the bike leaning away from you it's just natural and easier to get the leg over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loving My Mid-Life Crisis!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
1991 Harley Electra Glide Classic FLHTC
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 01:08 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:

That is how you tell a story .

No, Snow was the right word, at least for me. They weather folks are calling for our first snow of the year and with some accumulation of a few inches up to 8 in higher elevations. But next week it will be back in the 60's. Still too early to say "it's winter".

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Wow your story is way better than mine. Next time something happens I will pm ya for a writeup

More good news for me though. Dr. said I need to elevate it each day for a while, and so my wife gets to wait on me while its elevated. (actually she just tells me to go get >*&^% and get it myself )

To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back.

2011 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 06:47 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:

Thanks ponch I needed a good laugh after this afternoon.

One good thing about having a big ole heavy cruiser is walking up on the right side, stepping up on the floor board and swinging a tired left leg over the whole thing with ease. I have never understood those who buy longer stands to make this impossible.

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
VRA Central Alabama Chapter 1-61
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

In 41 years of riding , I have never mounted my steed from any side other than the kick stand side, this includes sport bikes, sport touring bikes with bags and top cases as well as my cruisers .... why any body would try to get on at the highest side of the bike and put their foot over to the widest area boggles the mind .... my bike stays on the kick stand until I have both hands on the bars and my butt is in the seat .... then again, I have never laid one over "parked." Kick stands vary in length and stance (swing angle)from bike to bike and brand to brand, some bikes are more unstable on the side stand than others ....I guess the moral to the story is to have your "head in the game" before you get on the bike, not after you leave the driveway. I mentioned this thread to a buddy of mine over the phone ... his response was WTF.

Mind you ... as usual, Ponch provided a great read.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode