New rider in the Roanoke Valley - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

New rider in the Roanoke Valley

I just got my license three weeks ago, and yesterday purchased my first bike: 2008 Vulcan Classic LT. I got it off the lot, with a 2 year after-market warranty, for $6500 (including taxes, tags, and processing.) It's in great shape, though.

It was too late, too windy, and too cold to do much more than drive it from the lot to my house, but even that was by far my longest ride until today. I logged 30 miles just tooling around town, getting a feel for riding in general, and my bike in particular. I love riding! I have been practicing with a buddy's '78 BMW, and my brother-in-law let me ride his Super Glide this past weekend, so I was at least familiar with something bigger than the 125cc I drove in the class.

I've tried to find an owner's manual online, in PDF form, but have had no luck. I guess I'll bite the bullet and buy one from Kawasaki, unless someone can point me to an online source. Meanwhile, my first basic questions are: how often do I have the oil changed, and what are the basic maintenance schedules? I'm sure the manual will cover those, and I'm probably in no danger of going over the mileage or time before it gets here, but I'd like to know for peace of mind.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vulcan_900.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	5055  

Last edited by PCRob; 04-06-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 PM

very nice ride!
pcrob, how many miles does your new motorcycle have? If you don't know when oil was changed last, then it would be good idea to get it done soon. but for now, make sure the level is ok. with bike perpendicular to the ground (standing up off the stand) check the dipstick level. Besides the oil, be sure the tire pressure is correct in both tires, maybe 36-39PSI for around town.
then you're ready to go. Never take on more than you can handle. Don't worry about keeping up others. Find an area with less traffic and get some miles under your belt. Not only do you need to gain experience riding in general, but you need to get familar with all the characterists of your particular bike. Ride smart,, and God Bless......

08 VN2000 Vulcan Classic
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, cqt1414. I've gotten a lot of compliments on the bike; it turns some heads. It had 14,280 when I got it, and they did an oil change at the time (as well as an annual inspection) so I'm probably good to go for a while. How many miles should I run before having it changed again?

I'll check the oil and tire pressure often, and of course the other items like tires, cables, etc. That's why I'm going to get the manual, though, so I'll be sure where every thing is, and what it should look like, lol.

Where I live, there's never a tremendous amount of traffic, especially during the day, so I can drive around all the roads and not have too much problems. I hit some of the more traveled areas yesterday and everything was fine. I'm not getting on any high-speed roads for the time being, though; nothing over 35/40 mph until probably Saturday when I'll go riding with my bro-in-law (if it's not raining.)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 10:15 AM

every 3-4K miles on the oil should be ok. Also, below is link from ebay for exact owners manual for your bike for $12 bucks shipped. these type of things come and go often, just keep your eyes open for them.
KAWASAKI NEW OWNERS MANUAL VN900 LT 07\08 link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWAS...Q5fAccessories

cool deal, have fun....

08 VN2000 Vulcan Classic
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, man. Actually, the dealer where I bought the bike came through with a manual for me today, and it didn't cost me anything but the gas to go get it. Considering that gave me an excuse to go for a decent ride, it was well worth it!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Top Contributor

Nice ride. Plenty of great roads around here to enjoy. Pretty sure you could have also downloaded the owner's manual on the Kawasaki website, but I may be losing my mind. Glad the dealer got you a paper copy.

Welcome to the forum!

'99 Vulcan 500, 29k miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by fastpakr; 04-07-2011 at 03:12 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, fastpakr. I looked all over for it online, including the Kawasaki website, and it just wasn't to be found. They supposedly had a link to it, but the page would come up blank or with an error, regardless of the browser I used. <shrug> I got it anyway, lol.

We should ride together sometime, if you can stand to have a newbie along.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCRob View Post
It had 14,280 when I got it, and they did an oil change at the time (as well as an annual inspection) so I'm probably good to go for a while.
Regardless of what the dealer claimed, you should change the oil and filter right now. Dealers rarely change oil or do anything else that cuts into the profits on used bikes. If you didn't see it with your own eyes, it didn't happen.

Joe
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Joe. I wasn't actually in the shop with them while they did it, but they took it back there to replace the horn and said they were performing the 15k maintenance while they had it back there. I get what you're saying, but if I didn't trust them to do what they said they were doing, I wouldn't have bought the bike from them. ;-)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 09:13 AM

Nice ride, Rob. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine (V2K Classic)!

Woody
...A bit east of you in Bedford Co.

Woody
KZ4AK, VN2K Classic
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode