Newbie Mistake - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Newbie Mistake

Hey everybody! Finally got my bike in, it arrived late last night! I wasnt able to ride it until this afternoon but I did go through all the pre-ride checks. Tires had a little to much air in them. I decided to go with the Operator Manual on the tire pressure, instead of the tires themselves. Well I rode it around the neighborhood for a bit, parked it and ran some errands. When I got back figured id go fill it up so here I go off to the gas station, had to wind up filling up with mid grade fuel, they run 86, 88, and 90 i think. Anyway here I go, all filled up after $9 of the cheapest fill up I have ever had in my life, and couldnt get the thing to stay started, every time I put it in gear, let out the clutch...sputter and die...Well come to find out I left the Kickstand down...thank you Kawasaki for putting that safety feature in! To top it off while I'm searching for whats wrong, another motorcycle rider just happened to pull up and fill his tank at the same time...talk about a little embarrassing! Just figured id share my first newbie mistake with everyone, lets hope they just stay embarrassing and not dangerous, lots to remember. Anyone else like to share?

2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Good, Better, Best, Never let it rest until your Good is Better and your Better is Best. -Anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Top Contributor

Been there done that..... I hope you have an engine guard on your bike as there are a lot more mistakes awaiting you ...LOL

Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick89 View Post
Hey everybody! Finally got my bike in, it arrived late last night! I wasnt able to ride it until this afternoon but I did go through all the pre-ride checks. Tires had a little to much air in them. I decided to go with the Operator Manual on the tire pressure, instead of the tires themselves. Well I rode it around the neighborhood for a bit, parked it and ran some errands. When I got back figured id go fill it up so here I go off to the gas station, had to wind up filling up with mid grade fuel, they run 86, 88, and 90 i think. Anyway here I go, all filled up after $9 of the cheapest fill up I have ever had in my life, and couldnt get the thing to stay started, every time I put it in gear, let out the clutch...sputter and die...Well come to find out I left the Kickstand down...thank you Kawasaki for putting that safety feature in! To top it off while I'm searching for whats wrong, another motorcycle rider just happened to pull up and fill his tank at the same time...talk about a little embarrassing! Just figured id share my first newbie mistake with everyone, lets hope they just stay embarrassing and not dangerous, lots to remember. Anyone else like to share?

2009 V2K / Vietnam Vet / PGR rider
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallannie View Post
Been there done that..... I hope you have an engine guard on your bike as there are a lot more mistakes awaiting you ...LOL

Annie
Engine Guard? Nope sure don't, just took a look on google, looks like it would help for falls. Are they pretty easy to install?

2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Good, Better, Best, Never let it rest until your Good is Better and your Better is Best. -Anon

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 12:08 AM

I installed mine in less than 30 min. Got it from Ebay
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Top Contributor

yep.. super easy. sometimes you have to shift a rectifier or a horn a bit...but they always give you everything you need....at least the Cobra bars do. Highly recommend Cobra Fatty bar by the way... have had 4 of them... only bent one of them seriously when it saved my left leg ... lol... over and out

( gosh, this post is beginning to look like the way Poncho Villa composes his posts... !! aaaaak ! )

Quote:
Engine Guard? Nope sure don't, just took a look on google, looks like it would help for falls. Are they pretty easy to install?

Last edited by Tallannie; 03-11-2011 at 09:23 AM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Bluetick89 don't feel ashamed I stopped and fuel up my 05 Goldwing got ready to go and discovered it wouldn't start! I proceed to check over oil, water, everything I could think of. I got back on her and discovered I had bumped the kill switch off. To make it worse I had been riding over 40 years at the time. We ALL make them, no harm no foul this time. O'yeah engine guards are a great ideal you may get off someday and forget that kickstand again, this time in the up position. Been there too.

Sergeant Major/ Master Gunnery Sergeant U.S.M.C.
Veteran (many times over)
Patriot Guard Rider
2007 Vulcan Classic 1500
2007 Honda VTX 1800
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tallannie, Thanks for the information...but im a little sceptical of them now since you already went through 4!! haha
Thanks Crossroads, dont feel so bad now, guess it happens to the best of us.
Ill be glad to get back out riding some more, dont want to ride it to work quite yet but cant do much riding when i get home...sigh and its only my monday!

2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

A "mistake" is never riding .... everything about, and to do with motorcycling is just a learning curve. I have been riding since i was 16, Im now 53, i still learn every day. All you have to do is keep away from the "painfull " lessons.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Top Contributor

LOL... 3 different bikes.... and one badly bent replacement...

Quote:
Tallannie, Thanks for the information...but im a little sceptical of them now since you already went through 4!! haha
Thanks Crossroads, dont feel so bad now, guess it happens to the best of us.
Ill be glad to get back out riding some more, dont want to ride it to work quite yet but cant do much riding when i get home...sigh and its only my monday!

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 05:23 AM

engine guard

blueticK89 with you decide you won't a crashbar for your 500 they don't make them,but theres a guy on this forum his name is vicente he has a friend in mexico that makes custom crashbars for the 500,theres a sticky on the forum for the bars.i think there $240.00 with shiping.i got back in to riding after 30yrs, i did the kick stand thing a time or two.BUT I'M OLD IN CONFUSED.

Last edited by big t; 03-12-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode