Blue pipes - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Blue pipes

My first experience with blue pipes was from the previous owners of my Suzuki GS750. He will warm it up at 4k!!!! But in all fairness, are blue pipes a sign of abuse? I see this bike I like (2006 Kawasaki Vulcan Anniversary Edition 1500 - $5500), it is probably not the one at the top of my list but the blue in the pipes worries me... Im just ignorant on this and many things...
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 10:47 AM

I have seen this usually when you just jump on start and go . also a dirty air filter and installing a pipe or air intake without adjusting fuel injection i am no expert just letting you know what i have seen.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rick, I appreciate your input. Anyone else?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Top Contributor

depending on how much blueing you see...and how many miles on the bike... it is not abuse and is pretty common to see some blueing..

here is a quote from a decent motorcycle site FAQ area. I thought it was from running lean...?? ... but this suggests it is from running too rich... ?

can you tell us if it has stock mufflers? stock air filter? or not?

also if it has a power commander or some such fuel controller device it may be set wrong...? anyway, it suggests checking the fuel mixture is in order... maybe the choke is open too long ?? Dr. Bob should jump in here if you are lucky... :-)

Annie

All chrome plated steel exhaust pipes or mufflers will "blue" or discolor when the surface temperature reaches 900�F. This can occur if the fuel mixture is too rich. Instead of the charge burning mostly in the combustion chamber, the mixture continues to burn after the exhaust valve opens, down the pipe, causing extreme heat and bluing of the metal and its plated surface in the most restrictive areas - most commonly the bends or the baffle area. Cleaning products, such as Blue Buster�, are available and when properly used are quite effective in removing most discoloration from pipes. Heat shields are now available for 3" mufflers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
Thanks Rick, I appreciate your input. Anyone else?

2009 V2K / Vietnam Vet / PGR rider

Last edited by Tallannie; 03-06-2011 at 02:50 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

It is a 2006 1500 vulcan with 2-1 pipes. He does not have a commander in it. Is it hard to remove that? I tried on my Suzuki and I was not able to remove much of it. Maybe another product will be better...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Top Contributor

What did you use?

Where on the 2-1 pipes did it blue ? I ask because I am thinking of buying a set myself !!!
if it blued on the muffler itself, you might check that the baffles are still in there. some folks take them out and that lets the outer pipe get hotter than usual...

I have had good luck with removing blueing with 'blue job'... or whatever it is called... any motorcycle shop should have it. once n a really stubborm place I used straight 0000 steel wool with the blue job and it worked like a charm....however that is very very slightly abrasive so you need to be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
It is a 2006 1500 vulcan with 2-1 pipes. He does not have a commander in it. Is it hard to remove that? I tried on my Suzuki and I was not able to remove much of it. Maybe another product will be better...

2009 V2K / Vietnam Vet / PGR rider
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Right where the pipes attach to the motor. I used a powder that I was sold at a bike place. You wet a rag, touch the powder then rub it on the pipes. It turns into a paste while you do that. It removed some but not much and the amount in the container was very small. Im taking it back to check if that is the amount I should have had.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 06:44 PM
len

Old school was pipes turn blue cause you ride the bike. They turn right at the location you describe. It is where the exhaust gas is hottest. Nowadays, they put decorative heat shields on most pipes, maybe yours doesn't have them. I never had much luck deblueing my old pipes, but I have yet to see my heat shields blue. But I do notice that aftermarket exhausts warranties have disclaimers. Burning lean makes the exhaust hotter, hence blues the pipes. So maybe a fuel controller might help. It would be interesting to know, who did make the pipes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode