Newbie to biking - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Newbie to biking

Hubby plans on buy his first bike in the next few weeks and we've started looking at bikes while he locates a school to take an MSF course. Thus far he's liked sitting on the kawasakis and the Vstars He's also wanting me to get my MSF class and a bike too but I'm a bit hesitant. Any suggestions? Right now the Vulcan 900 and 1100 are his leading favorites. We have had ppl say he really needs a smaller bike than the 900 but he doesn't feel as though a 650 would be a good fit unless he were to adjust the height and other things like peg placement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Top Contributor

I'm not the expert since I started with the 1500 (but many years of dirt biking prior to that). I think if he is riding any distances he will be unhappy with less than a 900 after a short time (based on what I have seen from a couple of my friends).

And welcome to the forum !!!

2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 - carbed
Grips, Freeway pegs, engine guard
Floorboards, Nomad rear seat,
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome! Hubby's wanting a bike that is versatile for going to work and school, as well as packing up gear for a weekend or more away from home for the 2 of us. I understand it will come down to his MSF class deciding which starter he will get. He complained when looking at bikes recently that the seat on several bikes hurt when sitting on the bikes trying to get a feel for day rides on the bike. He doesn't know if it's something that can be corrected with a different seat style or not.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Top Contributor

Good luck with the big decision !! The MSF course is a great way to start.

As for the seats, you will find a lot of threads here with all different opinions of different custom seats. Some love the Mustangs, some have tried them and got rid of them. There a several pads out there, one is the "Airhawk" which we purchased - it is appearing to be a great pain preventer, but we haven't had it on a real long ride yet either so the verdict is still out.

Let us know what you turn out to get, whether it is a Kawi or not

2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 - carbed
Grips, Freeway pegs, engine guard
Floorboards, Nomad rear seat,
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
The 9 wasn't my first bike, I originally had a VN700. But in terms of comfort (for me and the wife), as well as rideability, the 9 was leagues ahead of that bike. And it's only about 100 lbs heavier than a VN700/VN750, and with its lower center of gravity and better engineering, i found it way easier to ride. I think it'd make a pretty decent first bike for anyone with anything resembling a natural sense of balance.

And I've said it before, and everyone probably thinks I'm crazy, but I think the stock seat is A-okay.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Hubby made a point to say that when sitting on the bikes he didn't feel there wasn't enough padding it was too wide in the groin area and was an uncomfortable pressure that he knew would get worse as he rode a bike. Not knowing much about bikes, and not feeling comfortable about asking a sales guy about the seat he chose to pass on the bikes he saw, wait for me to research and come back with a report. The Vulcan 1100 had mustang seats which was the only used bike that didn't have the stock seats, so he wasn't sure if it was the Mustang seat or just that the Vulcan was built different than the Vstars, Shadows, HD, etc
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Top Contributor

The 900 is a great bike to start out on. The problem with starting out on small bikes is that you end up spending a lot of money on a succession of gradually larger motorcycles until you find the one you really want. The 900 should be a good one for doing everything you described. After some time, and if you discover you like long distance riding, you may find yourself trading up to, say the 1700 Vulcan, or Nomad, or a good, lightly used late model 1600. For some reason, Kawasaki made the jump from 900 to 1700, without anything in between. They're missing a niche market there.

Or---you may decide to ride your own bike, and you can each ride a 900. They're great motorcycles, with decent power, comfort, handling and fuel efficiency. Congrats and welcome. Oh, and the MSF course is a great thing to do.

"Don't sweat the small stuff---it's all small stuff"

'09 650 VStrom
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

That was kind of our concern...constant upgrade to a bigger bike. I would love to ride, but I'm very hesitant to do so. I lost a dear friend in November while she was riding her bike. Other than not traveling a heavily traveled road there was nothing she could have done to prevent the accident. It's making me rethink the idea of riding solo. Hubby still wants me to take the MSF class and get my license to leave the option open to ride when I'm ready.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Welcome to the forum from MN.

You haven't mentioned anything about the physical size of you or your husband. You can change seating positions of any motorcycle through aftermaket seats, handlebar and riser changes, and lowering kits if need be.

I feel the 900 is not a bad choice for a male as a first bike because it has enough engine to keep a guy happy for quite a while, yet is light an nimble enough to control easily. I'm not so sure about it being good for females to learn on however.

I think the 750 Honda Spirit would probably be a better choice for you.

Both bikes have a low center of gravity, are responsive and dependable, and IMO are asthetically pleasing. Both bikes also have a nice selection of aftermaket accessories (windshield, saddlebag, seat, gearing, etc.)

The best thing you can do is just go around sitting on a bunch of bikes at various dealers and see what fits you best. From there on out, you can change things to personalize it.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Hubby's 5'10" and I'm 5'6".... Yeah, I'm short...I know What hubby was originally looking at getting...and may still do was a 1st gen Yamaha Venture (80's model) as his touring bike because they are cheap, there's plenty of tech knowledge out there and still parts and a well kept used one is priced well. We're still looking...Have been for a year now since he announced he wanted bikes! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode