Little Girl, Big Bike - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Red face Little Girl, Big Bike

I recently purchased an 09' Vulcan 900 Classic. I've already taken MSF class and did great on the little Rebel 250 we trained on. Although I haven't even picked up the new bike yet, I'm a little nervous about starting out on the 900 (even though I knew it was the perfect one for me) Since I'm a relatively small person at 5'5 and about 125, I'd appreciate any stories or advice from other ladies who've been in a similar situation! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Top Contributor

You'll be fine. You just need to learn a few things and then practice them to build your confidence. Watch this video clip from motorman. At the end, is a very petite woman demonstrating how to pick up a big harley. If you go to youtube, search for motorman and watch some of the clips. Good stuff. I highly recommend buying his Ride Like a Pro DVD and doing the exercises in it. It helped me a great deal with my slow speed riding problems.

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Congratulations on your new bike, and welcome to the forum!

You'll do fine on the 900, although you might want to lower it just a bit. My wife's fairly small and she can handle my 900 custom just fine.

Enjoy, and ride safe!

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:00 AM

Garage
congrats with the new bike.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Top Contributor

gosh... congratulations...and dont worry... it will be OK... :-)

I am a big woman...and strong... but I do recall my first bike after MSF very well.... LOL.... I bought a new Suzuki C50 ...and confidently rode it off the lot into the curb on the other side of the street... ! I had it just about stopped.... but it laid down on the left side... thankfully no damage. My issue was not so much size but lack of familiarity, I think. I gave it slightly too much gas to get out into the roadway and ended up turning just a bit wider than I should have....

Soooo... I think if you take time and go slow and practice in parking lots to really get to know your ride, you will do well. Dont let others pull you beyond what you know.

Also... you may start feeling like you really HAVE finally learned it all around a couple thousand miles... be careful when that happens ! Back off !
That is another story... and not a good one... bike riding is a constant learning experience...... LOL...

Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan_Girl View Post
I recently purchased an 09' Vulcan 900 Classic. I've already taken MSF class and did great on the little Rebel 250 we trained on. Although I haven't even picked up the new bike yet, I'm a little nervous about starting out on the 900 (even though I knew it was the perfect one for me) Since I'm a relatively small person at 5'5 and about 125, I'd appreciate any stories or advice from other ladies who've been in a similar situation! Thanks!

2009 V2K / Vietnam Vet / PGR rider
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:30 AM

Congratulations and good for you!!! A little confidence goes a long way, take it slow until you're comfortable. My wife is 5'4" and 125, she cannot lift my 900 off the kick stand so she is riding a smaller bike. If we would have started her 10 years sooner she may have been able to ride a bigger bike, however she has never been the stongest gal on the block.

2009 Vulcan 900LT Red/Titanium

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy
Mustang Seat and passenger backrest
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the great tips! This helps!
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Top Contributor

As long as you can sit on it and get both feet onto the ground at the same time you should be fine. As others have said begin slowly, and if possible in some place without traffic until you feel confident enough to take the plunge. As you've taken the MSF class that will help you quite a lot. Congratulations on your new ride!
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:20 PM

I might consider adding a engine guard if it doesn't already have one. It can help protect the bike somewhat if/when you lay it down, which usually happens at some point. I'm talking about being stopped and loosing your footing, getting off balance or applying the front brake with the wheel turned. More importantly though, it can keep your leg from getting caught underneath when you do have to set it down.

I watched my wife go through all of the above and more as she was learning to ride. Most of all, be safe, ride within your limits and practice, practice and more practice.

Congratulations on passing your MSF class and on your new 900. They are sweet bikes and very enjoyable to ride!

Skeeter

Skeeter
When you’re PSYCHOTIC you never ride A L O N E !

'02 Nomad 1500 FI

Patriot Guard Rider #330
ChromeAholics #759
KawaNow #1391
VROC #31938
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:21 PM

Welcome to the Vulcan club! Started with a 900 three years ago after an MSF course, I took the instructors advice and practiced in an empty shopping mall parking lot. Spent 30 minutes once a week just doing slow u-turns. What I found was that once I had mastered the slow stuff (with no traffic) riding on the street became much less stressful.
One year ago I upgraded to a 1700 Nomad, had all the same concerns about handling the weight (I'm 5' 11", 175 lbs, the bike is over 800), used the same slow speed exercises to really feel comfortable. Ride safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode