Why are new dealers selling outdated bikes at MSRP? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Why are new dealers selling outdated bikes at MSRP?

I went to my local bike dealer the other day and was very surprised that they still had quite a few 2012 bikes sitting on the show room floor. Naturally, I presumed they were used since they were a couple years old, so I made a comment along the order of their asking price (which was current MSRP for 2014 models on a the Honda Shadow that I was referencing at the time) being somewhat ridiculous. Basically, the salesman got all cocky, fluffed his rooster feathers, and I had no clue why he was so edgy until I realized it was actually "new" in the sense that it had never been bought. I felt slightly stupid for about 3 seconds, but that feeling quickly subdued as there's no way I'd pay MSRP for a 2 year old bike anyways if I were going the new route.

My question is, why would a bike dealer still be asking MSRP for a 2 year old bike? It's not acceptable for a car dealer to sell cars at MSRP that are that old (heck, they practically give them away after 1 year), so why do bike dealers think they can get away with it, or are these guys just weirdos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Lifetime Premium

You have a very good point, and I am interested in the answer myself.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 10:42 AM

Same thing happened when I was shopping. Saw a 2009 used bike that they wanted just under $1,000 less than brand new MSRP. I made a cash offer at the blue-book value, and when they said they wouldn't come down I penny, I laughed in their faces and walked out. I've driven by since, and the bike is still sitting there...

LTJG, VT-21, USN, 1390
2014 Vulcan 900 Classic
Saddlemen Drifter Teardrop bags
OEM Engine Bars
Million Color LEDs

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcducttaper View Post

My question is, why would a bike dealer still be asking MSRP for a 2 year old bike?
Two reasons: 1) They're hoping someone will pay it and 2) it gives price negotiation a starting point.

DH and I did this on a car that was 2 years old, but brand new. List price was $19,000 and the salesperson started there. We reminded them that the car was two years old and they were coming up on the date when they would have to pay for "flooring" for that car again. We got the price down to $13,000, which was $1000 below the current KBB for the car.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
They want MSRP for a 2 year old bike, and they still have it. Doesnt that say it all? When I was shopping for another bike, I looked at a 2012 Nomad that they came down $500 on I believe. Shortly after I found the 2012 VoyagerABS $2500 off. I have owned the Voyager 1 year on the 26th of this month.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
They want MSRP for a 2 year old bike, and they still have it. Doesnt that say it all?
That was my thought posting this thread, but as I'm not familiar with the bike sales process so much, I was wondering if there was something else that I hadn't thought of. Apparently not. It seems like they're just being stingy and holding out in hopes some sucker will come along.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBarlow View Post
Two reasons: 1) They're hoping someone will pay it and 2) it gives price negotiation a starting point.
Right.

From a practical standpoint they're NOT selling them at MSRP, otherwise they'd not still be there.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Right.

From a practical standpoint they're NOT selling them at MSRP, otherwise they'd not still be there.
Generally speaking, that's probably true, but this guy wasn't budging a bit. It was technically a new bike and he was going to get MSRP + dealer fees if it killed him. If I recall correctly, it was a "manager's special" too. If a managers special accounts to a 2 year old bike going for MSRP on a new bike, I'll just take my business somewhere else. That just makes absolutely no sense to me other than just to prey on suckers who don't know better. Kinda ticks me off a bit actually...
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
worse than you think, when you consider some of those '12s might've been delivered in fall of '11.

Personally, I've never seen a dealer try to pull that. Usually they want the old bikes gone cuz keeping them around takes up space and costs money. I got my 900 for 1500 less than MSRP and my Cross Roads for about 2 grand less. These guys are clearly a bunch of knuckleheads.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 04:44 PM

It depends on the dealer, you can look up sky powersports in new port ritchey, fl. he has 2012 vulcan 900's for $5999. never been ridden, some people are pigheaded, they'll go down with the ship before they'll be flexible, others want to sell more bikes and can be realistic.....ride on....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode