HJC helmet help and ideas. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Red face HJC helmet help and ideas.

Ok, I got a big head. ha ha ha... Now with that out of the way

I tried on the HJC CL-Max2 and the HJC CL-17. Living in AZ the CL-17 looks as though it has better ventilation. But the CL-17 put a noticeable red dot at the tip of my big forehead. Even the Sales guy/owner noticed. wow, I guess it showed up real easy. The CL-Max2 fit like a glove. But I did notice that the sides did not feel as firm or tight as the CL-17.

Another sales kid had me grab the chin guard of the CL-Max2 and move it left and right. And he said it looks like it fits just right. But I also have been told the padding will loosen. Both helmets have more good reviews then negative. But ventilation in AZ seams to be the selling point to me. And I did learn over time that ridding positioning plays a factor in helmets ventilation.

The owner asked me. "if we could fix the hotspot. Would you buy the Cl-17 right now?" hahaha I just dont know how to trust business owners and/or sales men on commission. So here I am, A Rooking rider and buying my first helmet. It is going to be one of the 2 helmets that I order. I need it for my ridding test for the DMV/MVD. And my wife told me "no bike ride with no brain bucket." so any opinions on the thought of the owner fixing the hotspot. or just going with the HJC CL-max2?

2007 Vulcan 1600 Classic
Cobra Fatty Freeway Bars
Stock K&N Air Filter

Its better to be hated for who you are. Then to be loved for who you are not. --unknown (country song)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 02:45 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by niteowl View Post
Ok, I got a big head. ha ha ha... Now with that out of the way

I tried on the HJC CL-Max2 and the HJC CL-17. Living in AZ the CL-17 looks as though it has better ventilation. But the CL-17 put a noticeable red dot at the tip of my big forehead. Even the Sales guy/owner noticed. wow, I guess it showed up real easy. The CL-Max2 fit like a glove. But I did notice that the sides did not feel as firm or tight as the CL-17.

Another sales kid had me grab the chin guard of the CL-Max2 and move it left and right. And he said it looks like it fits just right. But I also have been told the padding will loosen. Both helmets have more good reviews then negative. But ventilation in AZ seams to be the selling point to me. And I did learn over time that ridding positioning plays a factor in helmets ventilation.

The owner asked me. "if we could fix the hotspot. Would you buy the Cl-17 right now?" hahaha I just dont know how to trust business owners and/or sales men on commission. So here I am, A Rooking rider and buying my first helmet. It is going to be one of the 2 helmets that I order. I need it for my ridding test for the DMV/MVD. And my wife told me "no bike ride with no brain bucket." so any opinions on the thought of the owner fixing the hotspot. or just going with the HJC CL-max2?
+1 on the big head, XXL here. For us fat heads the modular helmets seem to work better, especially if you wear glasses. I have no experience with the HJC C series but I do have an IS Max. For the money it is a good helmet. I do not wear it all the time but have noticed it is starting to have some rattling and component separation issues after just two winter seasons. I have recently purchased a Shoie Neotec. Is it worth the extra 3-4 hundred dollars? Ask me in 2 or 3 years but it definitely flows more air. You can actually feel the air on the top of your head at highway speeds.

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
VRA Central Alabama Chapter 1-61
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that reply. I cant do the SY-max. Because its more aimed towards a rounder head. My big Mellon takes a XXXL. I tried the Shoei RF-1100 fit like a glove. And firm on the side of my mellon. And no hot spots that I can recall. Then the owner of that shop that had the HJC CL-17 told me for ppl with my mellon. Arai (???) Something was a more ideal choice. Maybe down the road when I plan my dream AZ to Alaska tour. But for now I will be cheap and after all the equipment I hear I need to the safety class. Thanks bud for the reply and input

2007 Vulcan 1600 Classic
Cobra Fatty Freeway Bars
Stock K&N Air Filter

Its better to be hated for who you are. Then to be loved for who you are not. --unknown (country song)

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 04:49 PM

I proper fitting helmet should be snug all around. So that when you move the lid up and down, your forehead skin should be moving with it. Same with side to side, your cheeks should be moving too. However, you should not feel any uncomfortable pressure at any point. If while wearing the helmet, and you feel pain or discomfort on or around your head, it's too small. If it moves around too much without the snugness I mentioned above, it's too big. Some helmets will fit comfortably, but will still leave "hot spots" as you call it. As long as it doesn't hurt.

Keep in mind, no all brands will fit you the same. Try a few. Once you find the right fit, it will be easier for the sales person (if they know their job) to fit you with something in your price range, and style. I don't know anyone with an XXXL. lol That actually might serve you well. ;-)

2002 Vulcan EN500C
Dyna mufflers mod
Reupholstered leather seat

"One of the things I love about riding...she never complains of a headache."
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics72 View Post
I proper fitting helmet should be snug all around. So that when you move the lid up and down, your forehead skin should be moving with it. Same with side to side, your cheeks should be moving too. However, you should not feel any uncomfortable pressure at any point. If while wearing the helmet, and you feel pain or discomfort on or around your head, it's too small. If it moves around too much without the snugness I mentioned above, it's too big. Some helmets will fit comfortably, but will still leave "hot spots" as you call it. As long as it doesn't hurt.

Keep in mind, no all brands will fit you the same. Try a few. Once you find the right fit, it will be easier for the sales person (if they know their job) to fit you with something in your price range, and style. I don't know anyone with an XXXL. lol That actually might serve you well. ;-)
Thanks for the reply and info. With my size and shape head. 2 out of 5 places had one or 2 helmets that were my 3XL size that I could try on. Out of them there were like 2 high end makes and the lowest priced 2 helmets was the HJC CL-Max2 and the CL-1700. SHOEI rF-1100 was a great fit. But at a high price. I took a chance and took someones advice by ordering online a Gmax 54s. Lots of vents for our arizona heat. But she did not fit at all in 3XL. $16 to UPS her back. And I just got my new HJC CL-Max2 3XL at our door today.

I got the HJC CL-Max2 in black. I pray the helmets pinhole vents are good enough. Otherwise. I got her in solid black. Because if she is too too hot in our summer time. She may be great for a winter helmet. Being a HJC helmet, I can buy a breath box for it, a chin Curtin for wind noise, a pinlock visor, and I think they even have a electric visor. And the helmet is modular.

When I take the safety class and get my licence for the motorcyxle. I will defiantly write up a review on this HJC CL-Max2 helmet and its vents.for any other riders out there with big heads and living in hot areas. So for a winter helmet I pray she works out good. And as for summer right now. I hope my head dont turn into a poached egg. Haha I will tey to find other helmets to try on over time. Being a new bike ridder and looking at 100's of helmets. This helmet does seam naked without a chin Curtin that other makers include with all there helmets. But HJC does sell then separately.

Thanks everyone

2007 Vulcan 1600 Classic
Cobra Fatty Freeway Bars
Stock K&N Air Filter

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 10:18 AM

I've been riding for 20+ years now. For the first 8, I wore full leathers, and a full face. Summers were brutally hot, most especially when your stuck in traffic. Even just sitting at a red was unbearable. Some friends suggested stop wearing full leathers, and switch to a shorty/beanie style helmet. Having been so used to my gear for the last 8 years, I was pretty apprehensive. But I was pretty comfortable and confident with my riding skills. I decided in the 9th season of me riding, to wear a little less. Bought my first beanie, and just wore jeans and a leather jacket or vest, boots and gloves. Man, that made a huge difference in comfort. And I've been wearing the same gear for the rest of the time. I've even switched to wearing the Icon Truant boot/shoes. All the protection of regular boots, but much lighter, stylish, and more importantly ventilated. I'm currently wearing Akoury beanie helmets (a matte, and a carbon fibre). Very comfortable. Very ventilated. And great on hot days. Plus, it looks better on a cruiser. ;-)

Some people are still apprehensive about wearing open face helmets, and I wouldn't force it on anyone, especially new riders. Get confident in your riding skills, get some experience, then when your ready, ponder on switching to an open face. I can only imagine how hot it gets in Arizona. Btw, I do have an HJC IS-17. But I only wear that when the weather gets too cold for open face (I'm in Canada), or if I'm riding on the highway (I do mostly regular roads, no faster than 45-50mph, the scenic route). It is pretty comfortable, and good ventilation. Mind you my head is only a large size. It does feel a little awkward having my whole head covered though. lol My peripheral vision isn't as good as with my Akoury. A note though, the wind gets pretty loud at higher speeds, so I wear plugs on long runs. But even with full face helmets, it only muffles the wind a little bit. Some people actually wear plugs underneath those too.

Good luck on your riding test, and the helmet hunt. :-)

2002 Vulcan EN500C
Dyna mufflers mod
Reupholstered leather seat

"One of the things I love about riding...she never complains of a headache."
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Top Contributor

All the other replies are spot on points to consider. I can tell you that HJC helmets fit a bit tighter than some others. I have one HJC half helmet same XL size as my other two different brand helmets but it was noticeably tighter on me. But the HJC XXL was too loose. I liked the HJC helmet and it was on sale for a good price so I bought it.

It had a removable liner so I removed it, and took a dremel tool with a 1/4" wide, round grinding wheel and carefully ground down the Polystyrene shell a tad where it was tight on my head.

I then (with the same tool) ground down a bit of the foam padding (on the removable liner) around the ear areas cause it was really tight on my ears. Then I sealed the ground foam shell areas with a latex acrylic sealer (clear color). You can't spray or use any paint with solvents or it will melt the foam.

Anyhow now my helmet fits nice without the uncomfortable tightness around the ears and forehead. I've been using it now for a couple of months. If you aren't handy with tools or your helmet does not have a removable liner, don't try this, just buy the next larger size and make do with it. Or you could look at some other brands in the type of helmet you want. Hawk brand fits a bit looser than HJC (even though their sizing charts have same measurements)

Good luck with your helmet issues.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 09:50 AM

Try the Arai. They made 2 different styles, one for a round head and one for an oblong shaped head.

IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 11:15 AM

Garage
Yes, I have a recent hjc bt something I am using right now. It is awful. The screws fell out of the visor bracket on the side. They replaced without question, but the noise is absolutely awful. There is so much plastic buffeting with the vents it drives me crazy listening to it. I will definitely spend the money and go with something better made soon. I have heard only good things about the fit of Arai's, mine will be a Defiant. The HJC fits me well, but the noise and make quality are far worse than the good fitting benefits for me. Snug as a bug, with a little room for your chin. MSF says that most fatal deaths come from the chin area, over 70%. My modular HJC needs to go just for this fact alone. My 2 cents. . .

But I was treated mercifully because I didn’t know what I was doing—didn’t know Who I was doing it against! Grace mixed with faith and love poured over me and into me. And all because of Jesus. Here’s a word you can take to heart and depend on: Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. I’m proof—Public Sinner Number One—of someone who could never have made it apart from sheer mercy.

1Tim 1, MESS Bible

2006 Vulcan900 Classic

Last edited by Vandy; 05-05-2015 at 11:17 AM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
That hot spot is going to HURT 30 minutes down the road. Nope, no good.

Why do you think you need HJC? You just might not have an HJC head. Try different brands to find one that fits well.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode