So 900 Classic or Custom - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Question So 900 Classic or Custom

Hi all,

Debating with myself on getting a classic or a custom.

I like the fatter front tyre on the classic and the bulkier looking forks.
I also like boards and can add highway pegs pretty easily.
Additionally I can get it in Black which is cool.

I dont like the IMHO hideous guards the classic has.

On the Custom I do like the position of the pegs, and the controls and seating are much more to my liking.

The guards are way nicer, the alloy wheels look awesome, but the front tyre needs to be a little wider.

In Australia the custom is only available in Blue or Red - both actually look good - I just want Black or Kwaka Green though :-(

Both models will need mods of course I am just not sure where to start .... Had my licence and 20+ years of owning sports bikes, so I am older and my back, butt and shoulders now like the feeling of comparitive comfort offered by the Vulcan, and the 900 is a good weight and size for commuting and day tripping.

All opions and thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Top Contributor

The difference in tires is really in looks and preference, and that's about it. As for the rest... sit on both, test ride if you can, and make the choice based on that. All the Custom owners are going to say pick the Custom, all the Classic/LT owners are going to say pick theirs, but in all honesty, BOTH are great bikes! YOUR seat of the pants assessment is going to be the best for your situation.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 01:17 PM

For me it came down to which ever one I got the better deal on. I got a better deal on a Leftover 2009 classic as opposed to the 2010 classic SE, which was over 2k more. I love the chopper look of the custom but not for 2 k more....and that hideous silver seat just looks so out of place on a blacked out bike. Would I have got the custom if I had gotten the same deal, yes...hope this helps...

And btw I love my new classic....have no regrets whatsoever...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

At the moment both the same price for a brand new bike, and the seat is one think I *know* I will have to change regardless of choice.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
The difference in tires is really in looks and preference, and that's about it. As for the rest... sit on both, test ride if you can, and make the choice based on that. All the Custom owners are going to say pick the Custom, all the Classic/LT owners are going to say pick theirs, but in all honesty, BOTH are great bikes! YOUR seat of the pants assessment is going to be the best for your situation.

I like both for different reasons they both are comfortable but a 20 min ride is nothing like 3 hrs or so.The arguments and opinions of both sets of owners is exactly what I am looking for they have lived with their bikes for long enough to have an idea of whats the good or bad..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 05:14 PM

Talking

My 2c worth!

As a fellow Aussie rider, I had the same agonising choice. I loved the custom look, and so sat on as many as I could find (being on a restricted licence at the time could not ride one) before ultimately buying a Candy lime green '07 custom. The only cruiser I rode previously was a 650 vStar which I found awkward and uncomfortable for my 5' 11" height. Yes, it was a gamble buying the custom unridden, but I have not regretted the choice. At the moment I have no problems with the stock seat, even after a 2 hour spell in the saddle. Both my arm and feet reach is fine, and I can squirm around a bit in the saddle to ease any numb bits.

There are plenty of threads here regarding tyre choice. I insisted on a new rear as part of the purchase, as the stock dunlop was almost gone. The dealer put on a std. size Metz 880 - perfect!!

You can go to a 90/90 21 Metz on the front (check out this thread https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=10934 - thanks Mr Spock!!) if you are concerned about the size, but I have had no issues so far - even on NSW's atrocious back roads.

A 200 on the rear is definitely the go, but it isn't listed on the Australian Metzeler website (only the US), so availability could be a problem here

Either way you, will not regret your choice, the VN 900, custom or classic, is a fine choice of rides!!

Live long and prosper!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks guys, alyays room for more opinions though!!
I am leaning to a red VN900 Custom which I can paint to black if I *really* need to go that way.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 05:37 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Juju View Post
Hi all,

Debating with myself on getting a classic or a custom.

I dont like the IMHO hideous guards the classic has.
I've had a Classic LT since August. It's a great little bike. I don't think there's a bad choice between the 2 and it really depends on what you want to do to the bike later on. You want a bagger type bike? The Classic would be a better platform. Otherwise, the Custom is a great choice. I wish that the Classic had alloy wheels available.....

Dunno what you're talking about with respect to the "guards".

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Aussie colloquialism guard short for mudguard.
I think the American term is fender.

Fender for me is a guitar, bass and amplifier manufacturer... ;-)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Top Contributor

Personally, I like the looks of the Custom 900, especially the blacked out special edition model. The Classic, especially the Classic LT seems to be set up more for longer distance riding, but the Custom takes it for looks, IMO. One big difference is the front wheel and tire. That large 21" hoop is more sensitive to lineal blemishes in the road surface--cracks, pavement heaves, etc, while the fatter tire on the LT seems to go over them without any difficulty. I also feel that the smaller diameter, fatter tire handle better than the 21" setup. In short, if most of your riding is short distance or in town, the Custom is the way to go. It just looks cooler. You'd probably be happier with the Classic or Classic LT if you like to travel.

As for the front fender on the Classic/LT, I'd be willing to bet that you can find a suitable replacement from the aftermarket. Oh, and if you opt for the Classic or LT, the first thing to go will be the seat! Mustang makes a good replacement.

"Don't sweat the small stuff---it's all small stuff"

'09 650 VStrom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode