MSC pre class pratice time. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

MSC pre class pratice time.

I taking my class the 18th to the 20th. Any good tips for a nerves guy taking it. Been riding since I was a kid but 6 years ago tomorrow I had some medical set backs that took my riding abilities away from me for a wile. I am finely able to ride again after some rehab and confidence boosting form family, friends and Doctors.
I am in Michigan and have time to do some practice riding down road in a church parking lot.

Last edited by cannaert; 06-30-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 10:13 PM

the msf courses take things pretty slow. they are really geared to take someone who has never been on a bike before, to passing the driving test in a matter of a few days. I'd say don't sweat it and get too worked up over it. just enjoy getting back in the swing of things!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 12:57 AM
BOTM Winner, June 2014
Premium Member

Like spearcrow said the class is geared for new riders. So you're already ahead with your previous riding experience. When I took the class last year the bikes were provided. The bikes were small Honda Rebels which were easy to handle and maneuver. Just take it slow and everything will come back to you.

Deciding to take the MSF course already proves you're taking the right path to safely get back in the saddle and back on the road riding again.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 AM

I took the course at the end of May and was very nervous the first morning on the bike but that only lasted about 30 minutes. For me the only difficult thing was getting the "box" down. The main thing to remember is if you go out of the box it will not fail you for the test. My class had a wide range of folks in it and with the exception of one know it all kid, they were all great to be around.

So don't sweat it and have a good time!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys. I really can't wait to take the class. Just the typical nerviness butterflies I guess.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 PM

I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos in preparation for my class in September. Anything by Motorman (Jerry Palladino) or Captain Crash are worth watching. I also looked up the course layout for Indiana's test and drew it on the ground in a school parking lot with chalk. Best of luck to you and glad you're back riding.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 08:15 AM

In Ohio, when I took the class, I think I went outside "the box" once and still passed. The thing was NOT to put your foot down and you were still good. Everything else was pretty easy. Don't stress yourself out and you will do just fine.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Dan-O thanks for telling me about the videos.

Tubthumper I think that is the thing I am more worried about is putting my foot down on a slow maneuver more than anything else. I went for a ride with my Dad the other day and I was just fine doing all the things he and I worked on besides the super slow turns.

All the Advise is has help out in my time practicing down the road in the parking lot.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to let you guys know, I passed with Flying Colors. Passed the Class with 2 wrong answers on the written part of the test and 3 points on the Driving part (stopped too conservatively on the one part) and at the SOS/DMV got the questions about having a passenger wrong.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 11:37 AM
BOTM Winner, June 2014
Premium Member

Congrats. Ride safe and enjoy putting miles in the saddle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode