New Meat! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

New Meat!

Hello to all. Buying a new 2010 Nomad next week. Hope to obtain a lot of good info from all of you Nomad afficionados. One question first up though. What is be preferred gas to use in a 1700? The manual states regular gas, yet my buddy who rides a 1600 Nomad suggests only premium. What about E10? Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Steammarc; 12-25-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steammarc View Post
Hello to all. Buying a new 2010 Nomad next week. Hope to obtain a lot of good info from all of you Nomad afficionados. One question first up though. What is be preferred gas to use in a 1700? My buddy who rides a 1600 Nomad suggests only premium. What about E10? Thanks for your help!
Well, first off, follow the owner's manual on fuel or you'll void the warranty.
If it's a stock bike, it's set up lean from the factory to meet emission standards. This means it will run hotter, so premium fuel is indicated as it burns slower and not as hot. However, should you put aftermarket pipes and remap the injectors, you could probably get by on regular gas. A lean mix detonates earlier than a rich mix, so premium gas slows detonation. But if your bike is running normally or a bit rich, premium will eventually create carbon buildup and deposits.

Ethanol in gas doesn't burn as efficiently as undiluted gas, it too can make your engine run hotter by making it work harder, and your mileage is worse. I just read a study where a guy with a research company drove a car about 300 miles round trip on straight gas, then repeated it at the same speed and distance with ethanol juiced fuel, and got about a 4-5 mpg difference. This means your engine has to work a little harder to operate at the same speed as it would with straight gas. I also read they want to switch to E15, with the ultimate goal being E27.

04 1500 Classic
Mustang Seat
Sissy bar, luggage rack,
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Lifetime Premium

As I understand it E-15 was approved for newer vehicles only. When they start selling E-15 along side the E-10; I wonder what grade will be E-10 and what grade will be E-15?

09 Vulcan 500 LTD

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:42 PM

Go ahead and use premium gas...I'm sure your buddy has a better understanding of the engineering required to run your engine at it's best efficiency than those dummies at Kawasaki. (Taking tongue from cheek now)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Funny thing is this. Some motorcycle review websites are stating that the 1700 requires regular with 91 octane as a minimum. That is essentially premium grade where I come from
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steammarc View Post
Funny thing is this. Some motorcycle review websites are stating that the 1700 requires regular with 91 octane as a minimum. That is essentially premium grade where I come from
In my area regular gas has a 87 octane rating.

09 Vulcan 500 LTD
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Top Contributor

Octane ratings - confusing? From Wikipedia:

"Research Octane Number (RON)

The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.
[edit] Motor Octane Number (MON)

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON), or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load, as it is determined at 900 rpm engine speed, instead of the 600 rpm for RON.[2][3] MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON, however there is no direct link between RON and MON. Normally, fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON." (Wikipedia)

So it is possible that gasoline which is rated at 87 octane may also be rated at 91 octane! Net result for me is that my VN900 with a 9.5:1 CR runs fine on gasoline which is labeled 87 on the pump switch.

Last edited by Hot Cruiser; 12-28-2010 at 10:10 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Here's a little easier to understand definition of octane.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...question90.htm

If you look at the pic they use the (R+M) /2 method to get a 87 octane rating.

09 Vulcan 500 LTD

Last edited by Red Rider; 12-28-2010 at 08:27 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 PM

It was a lot simpler when Ethel was still available! lol
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Top Contributor

Actually, the owner's manual states you should use only 91 octane premium gasoline in the Nomad 1700. Perhaps it's different for the Canadian models, though.

"Don't sweat the small stuff---it's all small stuff"

'09 650 VStrom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode