Risk/Benefit Help Please - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Risk/Benefit Help Please

I have a bit of an issue with the purchase of my vulcan 900 and was hoping for some help.

My fiancee has made the argument that buying it would be wasteful and that I should put the money towards our future, such as a house.

She also made the argument that from time to time I receive financial help from my parents, and they've adamantly stated that if I get a bike I would be "disowned". I know its an exhaggeration but I worry what would happen if they heard that I've spent money on something they forbid.

I stated that the bike would save a world in fuel and parking expenses over my SUV and that its something I've always wanted. This would include buying the bike at $6,100 and yearly insurance of about $860. Did I unintentionally lie?

I'm not trying to air out my personal issues but the truth is that my fiancee has valid points, and its left me with a knot in my stomach. Now I'm questioning getting that which I've always dreamed of having.

I was hoping for some honest and MATURE advice as to the topic and what I've stated, as like I said, I'm left feeling sort of unsure, like taking your feet off the ground the first time you ride.

Personnal/similar experiences would really help.

Any quick responses would be greatly appreciated as I was hoping to pick the bike up
Monday.

Thanks very much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Top Contributor

I would not get the bike unless I was no longer ... ever .. going to receive financial help from the parents, and had the money for both the wedding, and honeymoon already in han!! Or I would dump the girl, say sorry to the parents, buy the bike, and move on with my life \ Dan

2007 EN500-17K miles
USN Retired
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Donít let society influence you.. You should be the influence for society.
To The World You Might Be One Person;
But To One Person You Might Be the World.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerX View Post
I would not get the bike unless I was no longer ... ever .. going to receive financial help from the parents, and had the money for both the wedding, and honeymoon already in han!! Or I would dump the girl, say sorry to the parents, buy the bike, and move on with my life \ Dan
Its a really difficult situation.

The woman is good stuff, supportive but looking out for my best interest so she stays. I feel like most good women would want everything invested toward the future, wedding or otherwise.

I suppose the biggest issue is the parents. I'm an EMT in NYC so while I have a career, its far from a well paying one. And I honestly couldn't say when ill be able to turn down money but the last thing I want is to be 65 with grandkids saying to myself "I wish I would have gotten it before I had a house/kids/grandkids that needed my full financial attention".

That's why I'm stuck. I can't let myself be irresonsible but if I don't get it now then I might never get it. I'm having trouble deciding if this is irresonsible or not.

Can anyone relate?

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Top Contributor

Well, really it boils down to the basic question of independence. Some folks go their on way, others do not. You need to decide which group you want to be in, ie, how you want to live the rest of your life.

If you want to live the rest of your life with your parents and fiancee/wife telling you what to do and when to do it, then there's no problem, because that is what they want to do. No conflict.

If you don't want to live that way, then I'd guess that you have got some serious conflict headed your way. You'll need to prepare for that, if you choose that road.

I forgot, you wanted personals. I just bought a bike, my 900, against my wife's wishes. I have 2 long time friends who both want to buy cruisers. Both are financially well off. One of them is actively seeking a new bike, even though his wife doesn't want him to spend the money. The other guy will never own another motorcycle. He owned one when he was single. His wife forbids that now and forever.

Unfortunately, you only live once. Choose wisely.

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Kerry; 11-26-2010 at 11:44 PM.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 11:44 PM
cricketsman05

Dude if you want a bike go get you one. If she doesn't understand then find you a chick what wants to go riding and enjoy being happy with the wind in your face. Your parents will always love you. If they quit giving you money get a second job and enjoy riding your bike to and from work. It is your life! Man up Dude and go get your bike on Monday!!!

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 01:19 AM

Not to be blunt but it sounds to me like the first thing you need to learn is how to be your own man. Ask yourself if 15 years from now you'll be able to look at her the same way while you're filled with regret over "what if?"

Trying to rationalize buying a bike due to the savings of fuel and parking costs is a false economy at best.

As far as the parents I guess I can't relate as my parents while supportive have never assisted me financially as an adult.

2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI
2009 Kawasaki KX450F
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Top Contributor

To me it is not a question of economy as a motorcycle is generally for pleasure rather than just a transportation device as I have to have a car as well. Always end up spending more with insurance, accessories, etc. In regards to your fiance, I find that compromise often is the best solution in a relationship. I was fortunate in that my wife and I both had off-road bikes shortly after getting married (much to the chagrin of the in-laws who did not like bikes). Once kids came along we sold hers, I hung on for a few years but just did not have the time after that. Once the kids got older, and time and money were a little more available we got back into biking by mutual agreement. She could have waited a bit longer but I was raring to go and have had 2 Goldwings and now the Vulcan in the last 6 years. If money is short right now and you are having to borrow just to get by, sometimes the "extras" have to wait. I would have loved to have had a bike when the kids were young but the money just was not there. So if this is really getting to you, my suggestion is to have a discussion with your fiance about finances and priorities.

2006 V2K Classic LT Black/Chrome
Lots of chrome goodies, sagebrush engine guard chaps for cold days in Manitoba, Rumble Road speakers, Garmin gps, tank bib, modified seat, Ohlins rear shock - best investment ever!!, locking saddlebags, Kuryakyn luggage, brake-away cruise control, and more stuff every year.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 09:15 AM

Talking

[QUOTE=mjtski;93234]I have a bit of an issue with the purchase of my vulcan 900 and was hoping for some help.

My fiancee has made the argument that buying it would be wasteful and that I should put the money towards our future, such as a house.

She also made the argument that from time to time I receive financial help from my parents, and they've adamantly stated that if I get a bike I would be "disowned". I know its an exhaggeration but I worry what would happen if they heard that I've spent money on something they forbid.

I stated that the bike would save a world in fuel and parking expenses over my SUV and that its something I've always wanted. This would include buying the bike at $6,100 and yearly insurance of about $860. Did I unintentionally lie?

I'm not trying to air out my personal issues but the truth is that my fiancee has valid points, and its left me with a knot in my stomach. Now I'm questioning getting that which I've always dreamed of having.

I was hoping for some honest and MATURE advice as to the topic and what I've stated, as like I said, I'm left feeling sort of unsure, like taking your feet off the ground the first time you ride.

Personnal/similar experiences would really help.

I think your first have to decide if it's something you need, or something you want. You alone must decide the priorities in your life, but IMHO, buying a bike wouldn't be at the "TOP" of my list. If you can't afford to live on your own (without financial assistance), then listen to your fiancee. The parent's response is probably based strictly on emotional feelings, so that's up to you to convince them that you're responsible and mature enough to own a bike. One BIG mistake you're making, is to assume that the cost and insurance are the only expenses in owning a motorcycle. Unless you plan on doing all your own maintenance, a motorcycle is very expensive to have a dealer do the repairs and maintenance. Tires, batteries,oil changes are much more expensive than cars or trucks, and need to be done on a more-regular schedule. Owning bike can be much cheaper to operate on a daily basis, but over-all costs per year are much higher on a bike. Set a goal and a time to get a bike in the future, save a little each week, and see if it's want your really want in a few years. Planning your finances now will help keep you out of debt in the future

Bob
NJ Bikers For Christ
Colossians 2:10- And in Him you are made Complete.
2006 V2K LT
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
While the timing may not be perfect for getting a scoot, NEVER give up your dreams!! If you do, there will be regret and resentment. A good woman/life partner will be willing to reach a compromise that both can be satisfied with. From a personal standpoint, it's worked in our house for the last 23 years. From a parents standpoint, it was never an issue with me, I moved out of my parents house at 16 and never looked back. I am who I am and I'll not change that for anyone, including my parents. If you go through with it, stick to your guns and make it work, if you have doubts, the don't buy it just yet, but do not give up, make sure that your fiance is aware that you're not giving up, just post-poning the inevitable. A someone said, life is a one-shot deal, make the most of it, it's way to short to have regrets. Best of luck with your decision!

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Top Contributor

can't live with em.....

I had a bike on the road from the time I was 13 until shortly after I was married, and then didn't have another one until 30 years later.......A person can't help but think of the way things could have been, and what might have happened if I had kept on riding instead of concentrating on the house, the kids, the career etc. My wife didn't ask me to sell my bikes, I just did. She liked riding with me, but at the time I was into the superbike stage and couldn't keep my throttle hand under control, so I figured that it wasn't fair exchange of risk for reward.

When I was transferred to my current residence, I had to get my kids out of my old house and my wife into my new one. When she arrived at the new one there was a brand new 04 V2K toured up and idling in the driveway. She rides everywhere with me, and didn't even bat an eye when I bought my 900C, on Mother's Day

My advice is to pick your battles carefully. I obtained financial security thru a series of ups and downs, without a bike, but I would probably have done the same if I had one. As for the safety aspect, you can't read a book on a bike, you can't eat a breakfast sandwich on a bike, you don't usually text or telephone on a bike, so it is much safer to commute on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode