Throttle hand goes numb... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Question Throttle hand goes numb...

Okay, so I started riding this year in April. First bike, took the MSF riding course, the whole shebang. I've been riding pretty much every day, rain or shine (yeah, I got a rain suit too). I've had a problem since the first days of getting the bike ('97 VN800B) - after a steady ride of 20-30 minutes I notice my right hand going numb. It's as if I've been laying across it wierd and it has started to fall asleep. I thought it was due to me being a noob and white-nuckling it too much but it's still happening. Additionally I've tried different gloves to see if that was the problem.

I'm baffled Is it my technique? Do I have an issue in the handlebars/suspension? I've slapped a Throttle Rocker on the end to see if that helped...still going numb after a while. What am I doing wrong?

'Goon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

I think it's caused by the handlebars vibrating from the engine. Some aftermarket grips are supposed to help reduce vibration.

09 Vulcan 500 LTD
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 12:46 AM
Lifetime Premium

I see you're not that old, but I've had a constant problem with the numbness since getting my 900 Classic this spring. A modest set of risers (2" higher & 3/4" back), plus Throttle Rocker and gloves has done much to help. There are bar end weights you could experiment with, or something called a bar snake that might help. I'm constantly reminding myself to relax, change my hand position on the grip often, and take plenty of breaks. Adjusting the Throttle Rocker as high as possible might help. Good luck!

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger

Last edited by pacomutt; 10-30-2010 at 12:49 AM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 01:31 AM

I have the same problem. For me, it seems to stem from tense shoulders. When my throttle hand starts going numb, I start reminding myself to relax my shoulders and lower my elbows. The relief is almost instantaneous. Give it a try...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

I took a closer look at my right handlebar/grip and found the end weight is only being held on by the rubber from the grip! The underlying plastic looks to have been broken, perhaps when the previous owner hit the deck with her. The left hand seems to be fine.

I guess I'm going to have to change out my grips!

'Goon
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 02:50 PM

I installed a Vista cruise manual throttle/cruise control and it helped a ton. But of course only when riding a highway with no stops!!!

JackL

Last edited by MN-Rider; 10-31-2010 at 10:40 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 10:25 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGoon View Post
Okay, so I started riding this year in April. First bike, took the MSF riding course, the whole shebang. I've been riding pretty much every day, rain or shine (yeah, I got a rain suit too). I've had a problem since the first days of getting the bike ('97 VN800B) - after a steady ride of 20-30 minutes I notice my right hand going numb. It's as if I've been laying across it wierd and it has started to fall asleep. I thought it was due to me being a noob and white-nuckling it too much but it's still happening. Additionally I've tried different gloves to see if that was the problem.

I'm baffled Is it my technique? Do I have an issue in the handlebars/suspension? I've slapped a Throttle Rocker on the end to see if that helped...still going numb after a while. What am I doing wrong?

'Goon
I use the Throttle Rocker. It makes a huge difference, I can ride all day with no cramping, but don't know if it'll solve a "going to sleep" issue.

One thing you want to be very aware of with the Throttle Rocker: if you set it too high on the grip it'll get in the way when you're decelerating. In other words, what's comfortable at 80 mph will interfere with handling at 25 mph. So you have to find a system that works. If I suddenly find myself in stop and go traffic, I'll release the rocker and reset it at the next stop. You'll know what I mean if you get one.

Be safe.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Adjusted setpoint...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewind View Post
I use the Throttle Rocker. It makes a huge difference, I can ride all day with no cramping, but don't know if it'll solve a "going to sleep" issue.

One thing you want to be very aware of with the Throttle Rocker: if you set it too high on the grip it'll get in the way when you're decelerating. In other words, what's comfortable at 80 mph will interfere with handling at 25 mph. So you have to find a system that works.
Yeah, I noticed that right off when I first got it. I had to balance where I have it set or it's totally in the way in parking lots. I've got mine set for a nice ~65MPH cruise.

'Goon
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Top Contributor

I have a throttle rocker, or something similar. I find I just have to remember to relax a little bit, and also when I am going down straight stretches of road I just rest the heels of my palms on the grips, and flex my fingers for awhile. If I do this every 15 minutes or so my hands don't go numb. If they do I just flex for a few minutes and it goes away.

2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 - carbed
Grips, Freeway pegs, engine guard
Floorboards, Nomad rear seat,
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 AM

Examine your seating position and see if your arms are stretched out too much. If your arms are extended too far, it could be causing pressure against a nerve in your neck or shoulder. You might need a modest set of handlebar risers to bring the bars a bit closer to you and relieve the pressure and to allow you to relax your arms and bring your elbows down. The other thing that comes to mind is the seat. You might consider either modifying your seat to fit you better, if it's the stock seat, or purchasing an aftermarket seat, such as a Mustang or Ultimate seat. And yes, if the previous owner dropped the bike and damaged the throttle sleeve and handlebar weight, that could cause some annoying buzzing in the right grip. Sometimes the vibration can't be felt, but it's there. I once owned a Honda VFR 800. It was smooth as silk, but about 15 minutes into a ride my right arm and hand would start going numb. I kept the bike for a month before unloading it. Couldn't take the forward leaning position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode