Motorcycle riding can damage your hearing - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle riding can damage your hearing

I'm posting this in the New Riders forum because I wish I'd seen it last year. I'm 55 and I had mild tinnitus (ringing in the ears) before I got back into riding last year after a 30+ year hiatus. I bought a VN900, found this forum, and began learning a lot about motorcycling. I'm sure I came across ear protection topics but did not give it much thought. Well, about early Fall I realized my ear were ringing a lot more. It kind of snuck up on me because sometimes my ears would ring more than other times... I was use to that. But, they were ringing more and louder. Over the Winter I fully realized what had happened. Wind noise. It can damage your hearing and once the damage is done there's no cure, no going back. You're going to hear that ringing forever. I've made my peace with it but I'd pay about anything to fix it.

So, this year I started wearing ear plugs, the little cheap foam ones. I tried a few other styles but these work best. At first I thought I might not be able to do it and may have to give up the bike. But, after the third time I rode with them, I realized 20 minutes in that I hadn't even thought about them. Then I realized how much more relaxed I was. So, now I'm hooked. I went for a quick ride tonight so thought I'd skip them, wasn't going to go too fast. Wow... now I miss them when not there.

Anyway, New Riders looking at the New Rider forum, if you don't know about this or think it's not an issue, I encourage you to think again. Learn about it. Forever's a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Dave,
I can hear a slight ringing right now.
Earlier today I could hear the cicadas in the trees.
Last year I couldn't have told the difference.

Wear earplugs every trip and there's hope it will get better.

Scott
Misfire likes this.

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 12:15 AM

Location: Deep in the heart of the NW part of a major metro area in the SE part of a very large SW state.
While wearing plugs is never a bad thing, always wearing a quality full-face helmet nearly negates the necessity to wear ear plugs, in addition to saving your ugly mug should you end up face down on the asphalt.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 05:07 AM

Wearing ear protection will also reduce fatigue on long rides. I really don't like ear plugs but I wear them anytime I go any distance.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
Dave,
I can hear a slight ringing right now.
Earlier today I could hear the cicadas in the trees.
Last year I couldn't have told the difference.

Wear earplugs every trip and there's hope it will get better.

Scott
Glad to hear you have gotten better. I hope I can report the same next year.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX1677095 View Post
While wearing plugs is never a bad thing, always wearing a quality full-face helmet nearly negates the necessity to wear ear plugs, in addition to saving your ugly mug should you end up face down on the asphalt.
I got this helmet last year when I started riding and always wear it. Noise level is mid-range per the reviews. I wear glasses and can't get a regular full-face helmet on over them but the modular works well. I've considered better modular that is quieter but haven't come across one for a reasonable price that looked much better for noise. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...r-helmet-solid
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 02:06 PM

A couple hundred thousand rounds through a machine gun, helicopter rides, explosions, having both eardrums ruptured three separate times, loud as hell heavy metal in my younger "party going" days...

I don't even worry about it too much anymore, about the only thing I can really count on hearing is the ringing.

By the way guys, there are eardrops and oral supplements in the pharmacy sections of the freakshow (walmart) that supposedly relieve tinnitus. Don't bother. If you're at that point already, you're screwed.

Something most of us never took notice of in our younger days: our bodies are the only ones we'll ever get. Oh, you may get lucky with a heart or lung transplant, sure. Kidney, liver too.

But there is so much crap we do to our bodies without fully comprehending the consequences. Smoking (guilty) leads to heart disease, emphysema, COPD, cancer... drinking leads to liver failure, sclerosis, obesity, dead brain cells... loud shit leads to hearing loss. Unhealthy eating leads to more health problems than anyone can list.

While many injuries are repairable, many more are not. Hearing loss is one. Obesity is almost impossible to completely conquer once you enter that realm (ask Oprah). lung cancer, survive it, then let's talk about how good you feel every day.

We gotta take care of ourselves, gents. I'm trying to raise a good kid, but I look at the rest of my generation, and others of my son's generation, and ya know what? The whole world's screwed if we don't stick around to beat some sense into these dimwits.
Misfire likes this.

Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step will surely be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge.

Without the rain, we'd never appreciate the sun~E.S.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Top Contributor

It can also cause death, paralysis, broken bones, scars, brain damage, lost limbs, etc, etc, etc.

It's not for the faint of heart, but it's well worth it!

"I taught your boyfriend that thing you like . . . "

Vulcan 900 Classic

Harley Davidson Road King (103")
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip286 View Post
A couple hundred thousand rounds through a machine gun, helicopter rides, explosions, having both eardrums ruptured three separate times, loud as hell heavy metal in my younger "party going" days...
Do I live with you? You sound like a guy that I live with! LOL!

"I taught your boyfriend that thing you like . . . "

Vulcan 900 Classic

Harley Davidson Road King (103")
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH_Z View Post
Do I live with you? You sound like a guy that I live with! LOL!
Lol, nah man, but I've had some good times!

Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step will surely be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge.

Without the rain, we'd never appreciate the sun~E.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode