Wind - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Wind

Today it's 65 in Iowa but windy, 28 mph gusting to 42 mph. I was getting blown all over the road. I was on county roads and had to slow to 50 - 55 most of the way while head into or adjacent to the wind. Heading back with the wind was a bit eerie, like no wind at all.

How dangerous is riding in high winds? At a few points I was blown a few feet in one direction or the other. I stayed in the right third of the lane so as not to get blown in front of a passing car. Is there any danger of the bike actually losing enough traction that you can spill and if so, generally how bad do the winds have to be to really be dangerous?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 03:48 PM
Top Contributor

I should think it would depend on a large number of factors: your skill, your & the bikes cross sectional area, wind speed & direction, road conditions, straight or curvy road, buildings, under/overpasses, traffic (oncoming, cross or following), and I'm certain I miss several... Ride safe out there.

In God I Trust, all others, Bring Data!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 03:54 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
When it starts making you nervous, it too strong. That can vary from person to person. The more open your wheels are, the less the effect, solid disc wheels are worse than spoke wheels. Each bike can react differently, accesaries can make a difference also. Larger saddlebags catch more wind than small or none, same with windshield. I believe fork mounted fairing are affected more than frame mounted. Stripped down/basic bikes with wire spoke wheeld are probably affected the least.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
Stripped down/basic bikes with wire spoke wheeld are probably affected the least
Wow. I have a 900 classic with no windshield or saddle bags, pretty basic, so I don't think it could be much better. Guess I'd better avoid riding when it's really windy. I mean, I could handle it but it was more work than fun.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 04:42 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
Wow. I have a 900 classic with no windshield or saddle bags, pretty basic, so I don't think it could be much better. Guess I'd better avoid riding when it's really windy. I mean, I could handle it but it was more work than fun.
I've ridden into a diagonal crosswind that made me lean like I was turning a corner. No fun. When a curve came up I had to slow way down since I was nearly scraping my floorboards just going straight. I'll not be doing that anymore. I admit that my bike is a sail. MS windshield, bags, rear bag on rear rack. Not very aerodynamic. Really scary going down I80 once Going straight was fine, but when coming under an overpass, wind stopped, I had to right the bike quick and then reverse it when coming out the other side. Dang near changed lanes unintentionally. Lucky there was no traffic in the other lane.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:09 PM
Lifetime Premium

Wind generally doesn't bother me, just irritates. But the last time I rode home from California, I went on the freeway out to Riverside and beyond up I-15, and it was so windy I was scared spitless until I dropped down out of that pass and onto the desert floor. I also got about 21 MPG on that leg of the trip. Between the 50 MPH side winds and passing semis with teetering trailers, it was high in the buttpucker factor.

04 1500 Classic
Mustang Seat
Sissy bar, luggage rack,
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:26 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
It's a lot of work and fatigue! The weight, wheelbase, etc. of the bike affect it as well. My wife and I were riding around this evening and she was really wrestling her little Honda.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Top Contributor

Went out for a spin last night and found that there was a lot of gusty wind. Unlike a strong and constant directional wind, last nights seemed to come up quick and strong and then disappear as quick. Made life interesting. Then, the rain came...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode