New to Riding - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

New to Riding

Hello Everyone

I'm new to riding and will be taking the basic instruction course next month. I did have a Yamaha 450 about 30 years ago during another life. I'm looking at a Vulcan 900 Classic LT. I was wondering if anyone had a little experience with this bike. I'm 5' 8" and weight 230. Is this bike big enough or too big for a newbie. How is it on long rides say 250 miles. I love to ride from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon and it's 250 one way.

Also, I read that the RPM's are high around 70 MPG. Does anyone have any numbers on this.

I was also looking at the Suzuki C50T. Here's a loaded question, which do you prefer and have taken out for a ride.

The dealership here will not allow any test drives. So I'm a little confused as to how I'm going to pick the right ride for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott
Mesa, AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Welcome to the forum, Scott.

If you decide to go with the 900, you'll find it to be a very apt bike. Since you've already had a bike, albeit a while ago, i wouldn't really consider you a newbie. You'll adapt very quickly to the 900 and it will satisfy your needs for years to come.

The higher rpms that you MAY experience if someone hasn't already put on a sprocket are really of no concern. The bike is made to run at those rpms and will not suffer from it. Lowering the revs while at speed is a personal preference that many of us have opted for.

As far as being big enough for a Canyon run, I used to go there two-up on a 650 Yamaha and the 900 Kawi has a good deal more umph in the engine and comfort to the bike. It will handle the trip easily, especially if you're on your own.

Can't help you with the Suzuki... never owned or ridden a C50T.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Sprocket replacement

Thanks Helek

Question: have you done the Sprocket swap and if so I have a couple of questions for you.

1. Does this void your warranty?
2. How did it affect you MPG?
3. What is your RPM's at 65 or 70?
4. Did you install it yourself?

When on the highway at 70, I don't want the engine so loud as to make the ride unpleasant or have say ringing in my ears for 15 minutes once I stop. Now please remember I don't have the bike nor have a been able to ride one. This is all new right now.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:40 AM
Lifetime Premium

Hi Scott; Welcome aboard!

09 Vulcan 500 LTD
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svhopta View Post
Hello Everyone

I'm new to riding and will be taking the basic instruction course next month. I did have a Yamaha 450 about 30 years ago during another life. I'm looking at a Vulcan 900 Classic LT. I was wondering if anyone had a little experience with this bike. I'm 5' 8" and weight 230. Is this bike big enough or too big for a newbie. How is it on long rides say 250 miles. I love to ride from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon and it's 250 one way.

Also, I read that the RPM's are high around 70 MPG. Does anyone have any numbers on this.

I was also looking at the Suzuki C50T. Here's a loaded question, which do you prefer and have taken out for a ride.

The dealership here will not allow any test drives. So I'm a little confused as to how I'm going to pick the right ride for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott
Mesa, AZ
I bought a 900 Custom in 2008 so that my wife and kids could have a bike to learn on, ride around with me etc. After I rode it a few times, it became my first choice when I was going for a solo ride (I also have a 2004 VN2000). I never worry too much about the revs at higher speeds. I piped the bike with Cobra HP 2into1, which is a louder pipe, but once again, I never really noticed the noise at speed. I am considering the sprockets just to change the "in-town" gearing a bit. The one thing that I did change that was absolutely necessary for me (6' 275lbs) was that OEM seat. There is way too much hype about the revs on the 900. Engine is designed for it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	2882  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Quote:
1. Does this void your warranty?
No. It doesn't make any internal changes to the engine. Some dealers will install it for you. Also, FYI... it's not really a sprocket, it's a belt drive so the bike has pulleys front and rear.

Quote:
2. How did it affect you MPG?
Can't honestly say as i haven't paid that much attention. Others have said it improved their mpg.

Quote:
3. What is your RPM's at 65 or 70?
Can't answer this either since i don't have a tach installed.

Quote:
4. Did you install it yourself?
Yes. It's not particularly difficult, but it's not what i'd call an easy mod to do either. If you're fairly competent with a wrench you'll be able to do it. You may need a helper when it comes to breaking loose the nut holding the pulley. Correct belt tension and alignment is important.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by Helek_52; 09-13-2010 at 10:34 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:40 AM

My 2 cents, your first upgrade should be the seat. You will quickly notice that sore butts and stock seats on the 900 go hand in hand.

You may not find the rpms at 70 objectionable, try it and see what you think.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 03:19 PM

Hey. i have a 900 Classic and I love it. I ride 175 miles both ways a day to work. I am not sure how you would feel after 250 miles. Might be a little sore. My bike gets around 50 mpg which is why I got it. I think you will enjoy it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 04:32 AM

Hi this is bgreer1, I have recently joined here. I am a new rider......
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreer1 View Post
Hi this is bgreer1, I have recently joined here. I am a new rider......
Or a sig spammer bot.

04 1500 Classic
Mustang Seat
Sissy bar, luggage rack,
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,