How to train myself for my bike's lean angle? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

How to train myself for my bike's lean angle?

So, I just bought an 800 classic. Loving it so far. It's the first cruiser that I've owned. Used to ride a sport bike. Have rented a Harley fatboy in the past.

My question is this:

The lean angle on this bike is, obviously, much less than that on a sport bike. I'm very worried about scraping the pegs or worse on a corner and am not sure how to learn "how far is far enough" when leaning.

So, is there an exercise or something I can do to help me to learn how far over I can lean safely without injuring myself or my bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 04:49 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBardo View Post
So, I just bought an 800 classic. Loving it so far. It's the first cruiser that I've owned. Used to ride a sport bike. Have rented a Harley fatboy in the past.

My question is this:

The lean angle on this bike is, obviously, much less than that on a sport bike. I'm very worried about scraping the pegs or worse on a corner and am not sure how to learn "how far is far enough" when leaning.

So, is there an exercise or something I can do to help me to learn how far over I can lean safely without injuring myself or my bike?
MOST pegs or footboards are hinged and spring loaded.
My Voyager has a metal "lean indicator" on the bottom of the board. I know that I am at the lean limit of the bike when I start scraping the footboard.

I would guess you can drag your pegs on that 800 if it's stock.
But, you should know that some aftermarket pipes can drag before the boards, and if it has been lowered in the rear but not the front it can cause issues too.

I'm sure someone with an 800 will chime in with more info.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
MOST pegs or footboards are hinged and spring loaded.
My Voyager has a metal "lean indicator" on the bottom of the board. I know that I am at the lean limit of the bike when I start scraping the footboard.

I would guess you can drag your pegs on that 800 if it's stock.
But, you should know that some aftermarket pipes can drag before the boards, and if it has been lowered in the rear but not the front it can cause issues too.

I'm sure someone with an 800 will chime in with more info.

Scott
Thanks for the reply. Just as a point of clarification for other responders... this bike has floorboards installed.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBardo View Post
Thanks for the reply. Just as a point of clarification for other responders... this bike has floorboards installed.

Do the floorboards have feelers? My vaquero does and the pegs on my 900 did. It's really just something you grow into. If you have the feelers you'll know right away when you hit them, and that indicates your limit lol

But yeah, I do think it's something you just have to feel out with experience on your cruiser.

Chris
Black 2011 Vaquero 1700
Black 2007 900 Custom (sold)
VBA #02389
VROC #24810
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_law23 View Post
Do the floorboards have feelers? My vaquero does and the pegs on my 900 did. It's really just something you grow into. If you have the feelers you'll know right away when you hit them, and that indicates your limit lol

But yeah, I do think it's something you just have to feel out with experience on your cruiser.
Oh feelers would be awesome. I wonder if that's something I can rig temporarily. (No, they do not currently have feelers.) Like what if I took some thin springs and just taped them on there temporarily then rode in circles in a parking lot until I got the feel for it?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 09:56 PM

Garage
I started riding again on a Suzuki DR650 dual sport and when I upgraded to the Vulcan 800 I was seriously scraping at every turn. I figured it out by finding a big parking lot and rode lots of circles at various speeds until I got the feel.

There are times I miss the lean angles but I have got used to it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 05:36 PM

Take a couple laps around a "cloverleaf exit system", do all 4 ramps 2 or 3 times each.
Start out slow and work your way up a bit
You'll get the speed and lean angle down pat.

You never see a bike parked outside a psychiatrist's office

07 Vulcan 900 custom,
96 VS800 Intruder,
01 1200 HD Sporty...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Top Contributor

What are feelers ? Does my 2011 Nomad have um ?

I've dragged my floorboards a couple of times and all I noticed was a scraping sound and I could feel the floorboard rise up under my foot.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 12:47 PM

You evetually just get used to it. Goto a big parking lot and practice there, you don't want to practice while going too fast because things can go bad... You don't wanna scrape and eat it !
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 01:11 PM

Garage
Pick as flat and bump-free parking lot as you can. If the tarmac is pulling up and puckering from heat and neglect you're probably gonna catch one of them and pull the bike one direction or the other. Church parking lots are a great place to practice because they're usually flat and level and are unused through most of the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode