Respect the Machine - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Question Respect the Machine

A phrase I keep hearing is "Respect the machine." I don't feel like I completely understand the concept. Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 06:36 PM

For me it means not taking our bikes for granted to the point that we begin to take risks with it because we get over-comfortable, and over-confident, forgetting about anticipating potential situations that can arise which could cause us harm. When you don't respect something you tend to abuse it, and no longer to treat it with the love that a good friend deserves......ride on.....
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 07:57 PM

Respect it...... don't Rage Against it!!

sorry couldn't help myself!!

06 VN1500 Classic Anniversary
Cobra Slash Cuts Exhaust
Cobra Back Rest
Reckless Fairing w/stereo

Twitter: @rjs_iv

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 08:40 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Victory Cross Country
Displacement/CC's: 1737
Color: Midnight Cherry
I imagine it just means don't forget you're sitting on something that could kill you at any moment. Not because it's mean or evil, it's just inanimate. The machine will ALWAYS react to the undeniable forces of physics...if you drop your guard the machine will not save you.

------------------------
2004 Nomad 1500FI
------------------------
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 10:35 PM

Respect inertia, velocity and gravity.....as id-man states so well, ".....you are sitting on something that can KILL you at any moment." That machine is not a toy and each time you mount it, the games are over...............its a serious matter. Respect it and ride safely, defensively and hyper-vigilantly then you'll be OK.............besides that asphalt is a merciless teacher.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 01:42 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Like the above posters said; respect what's happening.

You are on a machine that doesn't love you, doesn't know you, doesn't care about you. It will do EXACTLY what you tell it to do; and it's very easy to tell it to seriously hurt you, change your life forever, leave you without the use of a limb, leave you needing help going to the bathroom for the rest of your life or leave you dead.

People who don't respect the machine are people who ride well beyond their limits, ride recklessly in traffic, etc. Respecting the machine is like a lion tamer respecting a lion. He's in charge; but he's not going to be ticking off that lion too much because in the end; he's a blink away from becoming just bits and pieces of who he once was. You're in charge of the bike; but listen to what it has to say (road feedback, noises, etc.) and don't push it beyond where you can be safely. And no, I don't care how proficient of a rider you are; simple physics says there's not enough time for you to react if you're doing 110mph in heavy traffic, flying around corners over the yellow line or following so close you can set your coffee on the other cars bumper.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Top Contributor

Don't "ask" your ride to do what it wasn't designed to do. Respect it's capabilities and it won't "bite you in the a$$".............
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

When some young squirt passes you up on his crotch rocket at twice your speed with his front wheel off the ground or with a knee dragging the pavement, he is definately NOT respecting his machine.

Dale

2010 Vulcan Voyager /Ooops - I totaled it!/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode