Car Tire On Rear Motorcycle - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Wheels and Tires

Old 07-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
mpointer

Default Car Tire On Rear Motorcycle

has anyone done this or tried......was riding this weekend with some people and a buddy put a 16 inch car tire on his VSTAR and absolutley loves it....got tired of the cost of a motcyle tire...he now has like 13000 on this tire and will last 75000 or better...
mpointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
pasnbyu

I have a friend of mine in our chapter of the VRA who put a 15" car tire on the rear of his 900 custom. He had to do something to the bead to get it to fit, I'll ask him when he returns from the national rally in NC.

pasnbyu

Pearl City Life Riders RC
'11 Voyager
Utopia Backrest
Mirror Extensions
Kury Offset Pegs
pasnbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
Helek_52
Top Contributor

Garage

Yes, there are a number of folks that have done this on their Vulcans. It's called going to the "Darkside".

Google "darkside motorcycle" and you'll get plenty of information or for that matter, just search this forum for darkside.

Last edited by Helek_52; 07-12-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Helek_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Bison Mike

Just answered a thread else where on this forum. Iput a 195/60r16 ct on my 1700 Lt and love it. Bison MIke
Bison Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:05 AM   #5
Uncle Wulf

I've been running car tires on my bikes (rear only, of course) for decades. I first encountered it back in the mid 70s. We'd put VW Bug tires, 145s or 155s on the old Harleys and Indians we were riding in those days. They didn't work as well as today's car tires, but they were superior to 1970s mc tire technology for our uses.

These days, the only time there's a bike tire on the rear of one of my bikes is if I bought the bike that way and haven't worn it out yet. Or if I needed a tire on the road, and there was nothing else available.

Here's a shot of my last bike, a Suzuki VS1400 Intruder:

The tire is a Kumho PowerStar 758 in 165/80-R15. A steel-belted, radial car tire that cost about sixty bucks, delivered. Front is a Metz ME880, if memory serves. Look at the tread depth remaining on the rear. Hard to believe it's got almost ten thousand miles on it. 8)
Old 03-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
len

Wulf,

I remember those tires from the 70s, they sucked bad. Wore out fast, were good at training you to slide around corners in the rain. All tires are better now. But MC tires still wear out too quick, and are way expensive. I have been looking at doing the car tire on my vulcan. I have about 4000 miles on it and it is needing replaced at this rate, in just a few months. I was looking in to it, and found that the tire in the size I need still crosses over to a VW.
len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Uncle Wulf

Which Vulcan do you have, Len? Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 03-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
len

2009 1700 classic lt nocturne blue/pearl biege
Old 03-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
Uncle Wulf

And it takes a VW tire? Fascinating...

I'm fixing to try cramming a General Altimax HP 205/60-R16 in the swingarm on my 1600A. Your 1700 will likely have at least as much space.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
len

Modern VW...Ooops I wasn't clear on that. Let us know how that tire goes? I am getting ready to try a yokahama Avid Envigor 205/60/R16 V Good price, believe it or not, its made in the US. How is that weather in Vermont? I spent a couple of years across Lake Champlain, so I understand Cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement