1996 vulcan 1500 model 88 gas tank? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1500

Old 09-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
keith scott

Default 1996 vulcan 1500 model 88 gas tank?

does anyone know if any other gas tank will fit the Vulcan 1500 model 88, thanks for any help.
keith scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
mumbles
Top Contributor

I belive the vn1500 88 has a fuel gauge on the tank doesn't it?
If so the vn1500 Classic wont be the same.

Where in Texas are you?

vn800
mumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
keith scott

Yes it does, the gauge is on top of the 88 and the float is also on the bottom, the gas tanks I have seen that look to fit my bikes do not have placement for either gauge or float, can I reroute the gauge and does anyone know how the tanks with out the floats read gas or am I missing something? If you go to ebay under motorcycles, type in vulcan 1500 gas tanks there are two that have the same layout as mine but does not have gauge on top or a place to put the float. The tread to the tank is below, anyone have any ideas, need help please. Denton county is where I live and have called everyone that sells used motorcycle parts with no luck at all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Kawasak...a115d6&vxp=mtr

Last edited by keith scott; 09-19-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
ikillbugs
Top Contributor

Garage

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried Bates Cycle? They are about 50 miles east of Denton, just south of Farmersville. It's a little ways from you but it's worth a try if you haven't checked them out already. http://www.batescycle.com

I have a photographic memory... but sometimes I run out of film
ikillbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
keith scott

Ya called them, didnt have the tank either
Old 09-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
mumbles
Top Contributor

The tank on the ebay listing is from a VN1500 SE. I believe they were from years 1987-1991 or so.
The vn1500 Classic has the speedometer and fuel gauge in the tank console.
Yours has the speedometer by the handlebars right?
What is wrong with your tank?

vn800
Old 09-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
keith scott

Both my tanks got hit, one got a tear threw the side and the tank is beyond repair, other one can be fixed but would like to replace then wield on it, I seen that the 87-91 tank had the same setup on the bottom as mine but did not have a place for the gas gauge an I am unsure if it will work on mine.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
keith scott

I want to turn one into a bobber style so gas gauge is not important just don't want to spend the money and the tank will not even fix, link down will show the setup I want to do but all black no chrome. Still got to figure out where the rear fender came from, guy selling it bought it that was so he has no idea.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/4085724683.html
Old 09-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
mumbles
Top Contributor

Those years had 2 different versions of the vn1500. The tank with the gas gauge is wider than the one without. Don't know for sure if it's a direct fit though.

vn800
Old 04-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #10
samditis

Garage
Default 93 VN1500 88 Tank vs 88 S.E. Tank

I restored a 93 VN1500A and discovered that the tank was too corroded inside. So, I set out looking for a replacement. I looked for a 87-95 tank, the kind that has a chrome console with a gas gauge and fuel door mounted on the center. After a few weeks of searching with no luck finding a direct replacement, I happened upon a guy who was selling what he listed as a 92 tank...but in the picture, the tank had no mounts for a console and came with a simple chrome locking gas cap. I ordered it and even though the tank was shallower than my original tank and had NO fuel level sensor nor place to install one, the tank fit PERFECTLY and dramatically changed the whole flavor of the bike. I love it. The way I figure it, the Vulcan 88 S.E. tanks were more old school bobber style with no gauge or console but fit perfectly and are an excellent optional replacement. As long as you are ok with having no fuel gauge.
samditis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement