Balancing Beads - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Wheels and Tires

Old 05-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Helek_52
Top Contributor

Garage
Default Balancing Beads

In another thread, the subject of balancing beads was brought up again so i thought i'd put in my 2 cents.

A popular and familiar first choice among folks using balancing beads is with a product called "Dyna Beads". I don't want to knock down their product, it's proven effective and a great alternative to lead weights.

I would like to offer up an alternative that i've found, however, and am currently using in my bike. "Counteract Balancing Beads".

I wouldn't presume to make a suggestion as to where you should get it, but i do think you should research what's out there and make a decision on your own as to which product you want and where to get it.

My point to this is that i found the Counteract product to be MUCH more cost effective than the Innovative Balancing product. I bought a 1-pound bag for about the cost of a 5-ounce Dyna Beads kit. I now have enough beads left over for a number of tire changes.

I'll step down off the soapbox now... thanks.

Last edited by Helek_52; 06-28-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Helek_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
1barron

Hummm I went to the counteract site and looked for motorcycle application they had a link posted to go to the dyna balls site. What's up??????

Just wondering

“Not all those who wander are lost.” Tolkien
1barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Helek_52
Top Contributor

Garage

Don't know for sure. My guess is that they're able to market smaller quantities for a higher price that way. Same product, different packaging.

My suggestion holds... buy a 1lb bag and put in the suggested quanty of beads for your tire. You'll have plenty left over for other tires.

Last edited by Helek_52; 06-28-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
fastpakr
Top Contributor

Just curious, but what's the perceived advantage over traditional lead weight balancing?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Helek_52
Top Contributor

Garage

The beads provide dynamic balancing that can change as the tire wears. Really gives you a silky smooth ride (minus the bumps in the road of course). Plus the added benefit of nothing hanging onto or off of your wheel.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
fastpakr
Top Contributor

I can't fathom a tire going out of balance as it wears, short of locking it in a long slide. If the cosmetics bother you, I can see the purpose there. For what it's worth, I don't have any problem with them. Just never understood what the appeal was. Thanks for clarifying that.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
Pretzel
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpakr View Post
I can't fathom a tire going out of balance as it wears, short of locking it in a long slide. If the cosmetics bother you, I can see the purpose there. For what it's worth, I don't have any problem with them. Just never understood what the appeal was. Thanks for clarifying that.
It's the same concept as they point out on cars with their "lifetime balaning" guarantees. Sometimes, albeit rare, a tire can wear unevenly (especially if you don't pay careful attention to air pressure, which is a MUST when using only two wheels). Also, bumps and/or vibration, or constant centrifugal force can sometimes cause you to send a balancing weight flying (happened to me just this weekend).

Although all of these issues aren't the norm, they become more important when you rely on two tires instead of four. I never even considered balancing beads until this weekend, when I rode a couple miles home with a thrown weight in hand and a slight wobble to the bike.

I consider myself lucky that I saw the weight fly off around the corner, and even luckier when I was able to find it! Even LUCKIER that I was within 2 miles from home after a long trek through the lovely countryside of Oklahoma!

Ok, ok... after all that long story, I too can see the value of balancing beads now, and will be switching to them, as opposed to the traditional weights, soon!
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
Pretzel
Top Contributor

Not to mention the fact that it makes self install/balance easier, I'm sure.
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
fastpakr
Top Contributor

Improper air pressure can cause the tire to wear more in the center or outer part of the tread but there's no reasonable way for it to cause a change in balance. The physics are entirely wrong for that to happen. Other than losing a balance weight entirely it simply will not change over the life of the tire.
As to making it easier to balance at home, all it takes is a place to prop the axle so you can spin the wheel. Seems like a solution looking got a problem to solve.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
Helek_52
Top Contributor

Garage

I guess that's a case in point, fastpakr. If you're going to change a tire and balance at home, which is easier? Propping up an axle, spinning the tire to find the heavy location and then getting the correct weight in the right spot, or just pouring in a couple three ounces of beads and inflating the tire?

I opted for the beads.. i'm basically pretty lazy. I'll go for the best job at the least amount of work any time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement