Simple Wood frame Jack - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 04-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
MrClean
Top Contributor

Default Simple Wood frame Jack

I didn't come up with this. Frankly, I don't know if I can come up with the originator as I've seen three different posters. Could be like minds, could be people just passing on info. That's what I am doing.

Now, I know I'm lazy. I know I'm cheap. But WHY didn't I get around to doing this sooner? I do have a Sears Motorcycle jack. Got it on sale for a price after rebate of about 35 bucks. Not bad for a 70ish list jack. It has full-filled my every need. I can jack the bike up to a nice height, strap it down and move it around my garage as needed and I have needed. But sometimes you just need to get a wheel up and don't need to go through the trouble of getting the bike up straight (I use a HF front wheel chock) and then positioning the jack and getting it up and strapped. Takes about 10 minutes for me to get the jack out of storage till the bike is up. No complaints.

But what if I just need to spin a wheel, change the oil or adjust the rear pulley like I did today?
This jack takes 30 seconds? Depending on where you store it. Make sure the bike is in the correct position. Slide the jack under the bike and position it to lift the front or rear. Straighten the front wheel up and pull the bike up level. Push the jack lever down till the bike stands up on the board. Slide the pole halfway ensuring that the boards can't tip back either direction(safety feature).

How do you make it?

Acquire two boards, 40 inches long. For most bikes I'm told, 2x8's are sufficient and that has proven so with the 900. If you have a really low slung bike, maybe 2x6's would do. Frankly, I think 40 inches is overkill but I had the wood and it was the suggested length. Glue and screw the wood together giving you for all effect a 4x8x40 inch long board. (okay, I know the dressed size is smaller, you get the point)
Acquire a 4 foot section of pipe or something for a handle. Pipe works best for because you can just drill through the boards the correct size hole for the pipe. Fencing T-posts might be pretty difficult. Come in from one end of the board and drill a hole all the way through both boards, perpendicular to them, for the pipe. For longevity, if you can find one to fit, attach a metal washer cover for the hole to keep it from wallowing out over time.

My Jack? I bought a new truck this spring and after a couple of trips to the store with the groceries being at all sorts of places in the bed, I decided to put a board across the back and as I had the jack in mind, I bought a 2x8. Just before I cut the wood I noticed that Ford had already put a notch in the bed JUST for that purpose. Heck, maybe they all do. So I measure twice, cut once and was about an inch short! Seriously. I had a 2x6 left over from last years deck build to double the 2x8 with. I figured it would be good enough. Well, the wife had pity on me and told me to spend the extra 5 bucks and buy a new one (they were on sale, don't know what they usually go for, didn't ask just told the wife they were on sale)

So now, after a little trimming, I had the two 40 inch pieces. But I couldn't find anything to use for the lever. All I have is a couple pieces of Copper tubing and that's too flimsy. A piece of galvanized 3/4 inch plumbing would be perfect. Too bad I don't have any. But a friend of mine at work had a big, aluminum pipe he had used as a cheater on a pipe wrench. It's threaded on one side and tougher then you'd think. He didn't know what it was used for originally. I actually had a spade bit the right side, so the cost for me was NOTHING!!!

Here's a picture of the bike up on the jack with the handle half way over.

Too let the bike down, put the handle flush with the bottom of the board, pull up on the handle slowly while holding the handlebars. Let the weight of the bike do the work. Set it down on the kickstand and slide the jack out from under the bike. 5 seconds and done. It is simplicity at it's best.

Now, if you go out and buy everything you'll probably have to spend 25 bucks. I think a 2x8x10s are about 10 bucks. 4 foot pipe is about 8. You'll need some screws and for glue I used Poly U glue but Hard as Nails or Elmers would do I'm sure. If you have a building project, just remember the size lumber you need and get that extra foot or two for the scrap pieces.

Last edited by MrClean; 05-01-2010 at 07:10 PM.
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Dale900

That is so cool MrClean. I ran right out to the garage and made one and I'll be jiggered, it works perfectly. Thank you for bringing this to us.
09 Vulcan 900 classic, VROC #31898
I'm not afraid of heights but I hate gravity! ❦

Last edited by Dale900; 05-01-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Dale900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
R-man
Top Contributor

Nice Job ! I also made one a few months ago for my 1500. I ended up cutting a recess in the middle of mine so the frame was the only thing hitting the board, and also put some scrap carpet over the top so as not to scratch the paint on the frame. Plus this thing doesn't take up much room - just stands in the corner of the garage.
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
R-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
pkmonson

Default Harbor Freight Jack

I went to Harbor Freight this past Sunday to buy their $99.99 Motorcycle/ATV jack. (Yellow) good for 1500 lb. Had a $20 on line coupon. Didn't see model on the floor. Girl pulled out a flyer for May 13-30 sale items. Listed it for $40 off.Gave it to me for sale price even though not started yet. Got it for $63.59 tax included. Put it together in 10 minutes. Came almost completely assembled. Works great and has safety lock mechanism.
Cobra Light bar w/Visors
Demon Cycles Tachometer
Shark 100w stereo
Fully debaffled
Scootworks Front pulley
Luggage rack
Kurayakyn flame grips
Stebel Air Horn

Mark
pkmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
Jeep Pirate
Top Contributor

Tried to make one this weekend. I had the spare board laying around. Also had some 3/4" rebar about 5 foot long. The rebar did not work. I didn't know this, but rebar is made from really soft iron and will just bend when you apply pressure to it. I will buy a piece of pipe which will be more rigid. Just thought someone would like to learn from my mistakes.
Jeep Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
NikonDutch
Premium Member

Garage
Thumbs up Harbor Frieght

Hi PK, any chance you might have the harbor freight number for the jack. just looked at the web site and didn't see anything by that description.

Thanks a lot
NikonDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
RHKman

Item #2792 at online store listed for $109.00

2011 Victory Vision pearl white/ Pearl the White Lady
1999 VN800b4 classic
Mods
1 kury iso flame grips
2 cobra slash pipes
3 cobra floor boards
4 MS fats windscreen
5 kury iso highway peggs
6 kawi light bar
7 kury mirrors
8 kury swingwing pass peggs
9 sissybar with pass back rest and rack
10old leather saddle bags
11 hard chrome volt meter
12 mustang solo seat with back rest
RHKman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
slaponte
Top Contributor

Coupon link : http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...01719&keycode=
Old 05-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
NikonDutch
Premium Member

Garage
Smile Many Thanks

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.
NikonDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
Helek_52
Top Contributor

Garage

Same thing as MrClean's, different perspective:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

One thing i liked about this one is they suggested putting a couple of eyebolts into the edge for hooking up a tie-strap to put over the seat. Good idea for stability.

Last edited by Helek_52; 06-22-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Helek_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement