Just bought a 1996 Vulcan Classic 1500 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1500

Old 10-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
mghvdr

Default Just bought a 1996 Vulcan Classic 1500

Hi everyone, I recently purchased this bike and the one thing I am trying to figure out is why there are two air cleaner covers. The bike has two identical air cleaner covers and yet there is only an air filter on the left side of the bike.

When I remove the right side air cleaner cover I can see the carb throat and the butterfly action when I turn the throttle. Seems to me there should be a filter on this side also.

When I look up this year I find the schematic for the air cleaner showing both the left & right side covers but only a filter for the left side. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaw Vulcan 1500.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	117  
mghvdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
MJScore

That's the way it's supposed to be from the factory. I changed mine out to the Hypercharger and got rid of the left side unit. There are other aftermarket options. You can see pictures of my bike here.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711
Lot's of Chrome
Proud Father of a Marine
PGR Member
MJScore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
mghvdr

Default Thanks!

I found out after I bought the bike that it was a California model so I had the emissions devices removed the gas vent lines re-routed while they were working on my bike.

I just found it very odd that the air cleaner was on the left side and not the right hand side.

This is one nice bike, a real pleasure to ride, it has the looks and the motor.

Your bike looks great, I'll have to look into changing over mine too.

Thanks,
Miek
Old 10-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
jkelley82

great looking bike. i am thinking of getting a 97 vulcan 1500. how many miles does it have, and if i might ask how much did you pay for it.
jkelley82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
mghvdr

Default reply

Thanks. It only had 13,000 miles on it when I bought it, I paid $3,100.00 but ended up spending $1,700.00 for a radiator, fan switch, horns, changing out ALL of the fluids, and finally a new clutch. Apparently the bike had not been used for some time, although it looked great it was mechanically neglected, but you have no way of knowing this until afterwards.

They are great bikes, a friend of mine has a 97 that he bought new, still loves it and it looks and rides great.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
mghvdr

Default figured it out-I am a newbe after all!

After removing the fuel tank I finally got the whole picture on the air cleaner system on my bike.
The air intake is actually beneath the fuel tank where air is taken in and than passed through an air channel to the left side air cleaner housing where the air passes through the one and only air filter element, the filtered air than travels through an air channel between the cyclinder heads to the back plate of the right side air filter housing to the intake of the carburetor.
Mystery solved for me, I know this is probably old news to a lot of you but I am still learning about the mechanics of this beast.

Thanks for the help.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement