Test Drive - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 06-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Denis

Default Test Drive

Local dealer had a test drive session on Kawies. I tried the Voyageur thinking the 1700 might have more oomph to offer. I was pleasantly surprised. With the tall windshield my face was searing with heat. So where the legs. I figured perhaps with the boost in "cc" I'd get a smoother, snappier and more quiet ride. Nope on all fronts. Kawi also shorten the footprint on the voyageur. I couldn't stretch out like on the 900 and experienced aching knees in a short period of time.

All in all I paid $10.00 to ride that goes to charity and got to appreciate the 900 all over again!

Isn't she sweet...
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
DANAD
Top Contributor

Default Test rides

I have been on a few "ride days" lately to see what is out there. I agree with the assessment on the Voyager as "cramped". I have an 04 V2K so I am spoiled a bit as far as room goes, but all the bikes that I have ridden in the past few months have roughly the same wheelbase as the Voyager except for the Yamaha Stratoliner. I also have an 08 900 Custom which by the numbers has a similar wheelbase to an Ultra-Classic but seems to ride more comfortably (as far as body position for me anyway). The Kawi 900 presents itself as a full frame easy riding bike with adequate power and outstanding economy. Probably why it is such a popular bike, both in the market and the Forums.
DANAD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Jace Bror
Top Contributor

Garage

I have to agree about the Voyageur. I have done a few test rides and have not been impressed with it. I think you have better control on a bike when you are in a more upright position like that, more like a sport bike.

That said I got to do a really good long test drive last weekend on a Goldwing. That was a mistake, that is all I want now. Fast, great handling, extremely comfortable and has tunes. It didn't feel much heavier than our 9. It was a little hot, but I guess with some fairing wings it can redirect and keep you cool. But with heated seat and grips that engine heat in the winter would be great. It is like riding a bike sport bike that is comfortable.

My wife says we are too poor and too young to get one.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
Jace Bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

The Voyagers boards are a little closer into the riders triangle.
Highway pegs can resolve that.

Your 'butt dyno' is way off though.
The VV has 108 lbs of torque, while the 900 only has 58.
That means the Voyager has more oomph.
Being a six speed; it also runs about 2k rpm lower at 70 mph, giving a smoother ride. I can really tell it in my mirrors.

I put 10k on my 900 in under a year and have 12k on my Voyager in 10 months. I liked the 9, but the Voyager is an awesome bike.

The mono-shock on the 9 may look cool but after an hour or so in the saddle I would dread back roads.
The dual, four way dampening, air adjustable shocks on the 1700s smooth out the ride considerably. I can go more than twice as long without comfort issues.

I had the LT and enjoyed having a large windshield on both the 9 and the VV.

My 2012 model with KAMS felt about as hot as my 900 until I wrapped the headers; now I wouldn't trade the heat on my VV for the heat my 9 had.

I'm really glad you like your 900. The only thing I can say that I miss about mine was how easy it was to back up.

Different strokes for different folks!

Scott

All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Scott_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
Your 'butt dyno' is way off though.
The VV has 108 lbs of torque, while the 900 only has 58.
That means the Voyager has more oomph.
[/I]

Scott
true IF both bikes weighed the same.... but the voyager weighs a lot more... torque to weight ratio on those bikes are quite similar.....
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
true IF both bikes weighed the same.... but the voyager weighs a lot more... torque to weight ratio on those bikes are quite similar.....
Here's the numbers.
The stock weight of the lightest 900 is 610.8lbs with 58lbs of torque.
The stock weight of the heaviest Voyager is 895 with 108lbs of torque.

That means a stock 900 custom only has 78.69% percent of the torque to weight ratio of the stock Voyager ABS.
I'm not sure I would call that 'similar'.

Weight------ Torque------ Torque/Weight ratio
610.8-------- 58------------ 0.0950
895---------- 108----------- 0.121

-------------------------------% of torque per lb
-------------------------------78.69%

The 900 still has plenty of power to get you up to highway speed faster than you need too.
Just not quite as fast at the VV.

Scott

Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Wolo Bad Boy
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Denis

I wasn't making claims to numbers on my thread but merely 1st impressions. My 900 has both OD pulleys and they plays out well for me for oomffs. I also have an engine guard with chaps on it...heat is fine and good. Have the mustang seat with backrest...touring and mileage is great...65,000 km's (40,000 miles) and counting. When I compared my existing ride (more upgrades as well...pullback risers, cruise control, ISO Grips, etc...) the 900LT for me just did it compared to the stock voyageur. The fit I have would be hard to beat for me...I tried victory, BMW, and others...so far the 900LT holds it's own...with upgrade may that be. I'm pleased. They are all great rides and yes to each his own...
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
I wasn't making claims to numbers on my thread but merely 1st impressions. My 900 has both OD pulleys and they plays out well for me for oomffs. I also have an engine guard with chaps on it...heat is fine and good. Have the mustang seat with backrest...touring and mileage is great...65,000 km's (40,000 miles) and counting. When I compared my existing ride (more upgrades as well...pullback risers, cruise control, ISO Grips, etc...) the 900LT for me just did it compared to the stock voyageur. The fit I have would be hard to beat for me...I tried victory, BMW, and others...so far the 900LT holds it's own...with upgrade may that be. I'm pleased. They are all great rides and yes to each his own...
The 900 is a dang nice bike!
And once you get any bike set-up to your tastes; it's gonna be hard for a stock bike to feel right.

I was REALLY shocked the first time I rode a Voyager; that my 900 had more leg room.
Actually, I think the stock 900 has more leg room stock than just about anything but the Victory touring bikes.

If your bike puts that smile on your face; then stick with it.
But, if you need to replace it sometime; don't write off the Vulcan 1700 line. There's a LOT to like about them too!

Scott

Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Wolo Bad Boy
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector

Old 07-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I think a lot of the issue with power has to do with gearing. The 900 is so dang short geared that it's always got tons of on-demand power. If you're shifting early on the VV, running low RPM's, it's not going to have the roll-on power the 900 does, not without downshifting.

I, too, experienced the same thing. Until I realized that, like the 900, you have to let it spin. The difference is, where I might be in 5th in the 900, I ought to be in 3rd on the VV. It's geared for the interstate, whereas the 900 is geared for the state roads (even though it does the interstate fine). Once I got used to that I found it did have quite a bit more power than the 900.

I, too, found it a little 'cramped' compared to the 900 but you get used to it. That slightly tighter posture does lend itself to better handling, probably more of an advantage than people realize on a nearly half-ton motorcycle.

The 900 'spoils' us in two ways (even though we often complain about the same). First, it's stinkin' huge! Forget what everyone told you about cc's because there are NOT a lot of bikes out there as 'big' in the cockpit as the 900.

Second, it's geard soooo stinking low. You can flip it into 5th at 40mph, roll on the throttle and take off like a bandit. Can't do that on a VV! Although on a VV, 5th at 40mph (and it still has a 6th!) is a lot lower RPM's, AND, the engine doesn't rev as high to begin with!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I think a lot of the issue with power has to do with gearing. The 900 is so dang short geared that it's always got tons of on-demand power. If you're shifting early on the VV, running low RPM's, it's not going to have the roll-on power the 900 does, not without downshifting.

I, too, experienced the same thing. Until I realized that, like the 900, you have to let it spin. The difference is, where I might be in 5th in the 900, I ought to be in 3rd on the VV. It's geared for the interstate, whereas the 900 is geared for the state roads (even though it does the interstate fine). Once I got used to that I found it did have quite a bit more power than the 900.

I, too, found it a little 'cramped' compared to the 900 but you get used to it. That slightly tighter posture does lend itself to better handling, probably more of an advantage than people realize on a nearly half-ton motorcycle.

The 900 'spoils' us in two ways (even though we often complain about the same). First, it's stinkin' huge! Forget what everyone told you about cc's because there are NOT a lot of bikes out there as 'big' in the cockpit as the 900.

Second, it's geard soooo stinking low. You can flip it into 5th at 40mph, roll on the throttle and take off like a bandit. Can't do that on a VV! Although on a VV, 5th at 40mph (and it still has a 6th!) is a lot lower RPM's, AND, the engine doesn't rev as high to begin with!
Now that you mention it....

The power curve of the bikes is quite a bit different..

I hadn't even thought about it until now, but in my second touring bike review, I noted that it would take a bit to get used to.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=28784

Scott

Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Wolo Bad Boy
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement