Exhaust Mod - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 2000

Old 03-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Black Beasty

Default Exhaust Mod

I just finished the Exhaust Mod on my stock VN2000 pipes as described here in earlier threads. WOW. What a difference. I cant believe that I almost shelled our $600 for V&H pipes... These now sound and perform amazing. My guess is that bike was running rich from day one...

Thanks to those who have described how to do it.

My spin on the MOD:

Went down to Home Depot, puchased a 1" hole saw and a 12" extension rod for my drill. Drilled through both ends of both pipes really slowly. Stopped every 1-2 minutes to clean and re-lubericate the hole saw bit. (used a generic circular-saw lube that i had already).

Total cost, about $25 bucks!

Now at idle, sounds like a low rumble, not super-loud but a bit more than stock.

When you twist the throttle, much more chop... now the sound matches the look!
Black Beasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Old Bike Guy
Top Contributor

I'd love to try this modification but the rumor around here (Kalifornia), is that the storm troopers are about to change the smog rules for bikes that will require an UNMODIFIED, stock exhaust system. What a drag.....
Old 03-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Dadinator
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beasty View Post
I just finished the Exhaust Mod on my stock VN2000 pipes as described here in earlier threads. WOW. What a difference. I cant believe that I almost shelled our $600 for V&H pipes... These now sound and perform amazing. My guess is that bike was running rich from day one...

Thanks to those who have described how to do it.

My spin on the MOD:

Went down to Home Depot, puchased a 1" hole saw and a 12" extension rod for my drill. Drilled through both ends of both pipes really slowly. Stopped every 1-2 minutes to clean and re-lubericate the hole saw bit. (used a generic circular-saw lube that i had already).

Total cost, about $25 bucks!

Now at idle, sounds like a low rumble, not super-loud but a bit more than stock.

When you twist the throttle, much more chop... now the sound matches the look!
Pics? Sound clips?
Old 03-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Black Beasty

Default Emmisions...

OBG: I suggest you drive over to AZ and register your bike!!!! As for me, theres no emmisions test to pass here in AL.

As for the request for pics: I didnt think they were needed, as the stock pipes look no different to the eye. I may upload a vid to youtube this weekend though so it can heard.
Modifed Stock Exhaust
Old 03-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Old Bike Guy
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beasty View Post
OBG: I suggest you drive over to AZ and register your bike!!!! As for me, theres no emmisions test to pass here in AL.

As for the request for pics: I didnt think they were needed, as the stock pipes look no different to the eye. I may upload a vid to youtube this weekend though so it can heard.
That would be great!!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:01 AM   #6
Daddy J

Hey guys, I'm very seriously considering drilling out the baffles with the hole saw as well. I'm not worried at all about it being too loud, but I am worried about backfiring. Black Beasty, have you had any backfire at all? I would really love to know, because I'm dieing to debaffle those pipes, but like a lot of guys say on here, there's no way back if I don't like it.
Daddy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
Black Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy J View Post
Hey guys, I'm very seriously considering drilling out the baffles with the hole saw as well. I'm not worried at all about it being too loud, but I am worried about backfiring. Black Beasty, have you had any backfire at all? I would really love to know, because I'm dieing to debaffle those pipes, but like a lot of guys say on here, there's no way back if I don't like it.
Daddy J-

Do not worry about it being too loud. After the Mod, I've found that there is not much difference from the stock volume (at idle).

As for backfiring, I have not had that problem at all; not even once.
Modifed Stock Exhaust
Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
Daddy J

Well I did it. That's about the best I can say. Ive had them debaffled for about three days now and I like the sound, on throttle, on idle it's not much different. What a mess it was to do. In retrospect, I wish I had just left well enough alone and waited to buy some new pipes.

I used a one inch holesaw and extension just like black beasty did, but I had a hell of a time getting all of the baffles out. There are 3 thin walls of steel built inside the pipes, these are super easy to drill out. What I was NOT prepared for was the honeycomb of metal that sits about dead center in the pipe. My holesaw hit that and shredded pieces of metal all over the place. It became compacted and immovable. 6 hours later, and with a lot of banging, pushing, drilling, and cussing, I finally got the holesaw bit out and a majority of the twisted metal pieces, I say most because there is still some crammed in there that will be there untill the good lord comes back for us.

when I moved to the second pipe I was wishing I'd never started. However, I did things a little bit different to save me the trouble. I drilled through the 3 metal walls VERY gently and stopped before I went too far and destroyed the metal honeycomb. That took about 15 minutes and gets just as good airflow and sound as the first pipe.

Unfortunately the first pipe is now bent slightly and doesn't quite bolt right to the bike anymore, I can only get one bolt to line up. also it's tilted down so it touches the bottom pipe at the rear. Not very pretty. But louder....

If you want to debaffle your pipes, be very careful and don't drill through the honeycomb, it will save you a lot of trouble.
Daddy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement