Clutch - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Engine Work

Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
STEVEWOOD15000

Default Clutch

I got a Vulcan Mean Streak 1600 my clutch is having problems my bike runs good and when i pull the clutch and drop it in 1st gear the bike try to take off but stalls as if i didn't pull in the clutch at all i keep hearing theres a clutch adjustment but where can i find the adjustment on the bike its a hydraulic clutch just to let you know. Does the mean streak have a clutch adjustment on the bike? if some one can help me out so i can drive my bike again you will be the man haha thanks

*STEVE*
STEVEWOOD15000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
Bob Myers
Lifetime Premium

Lots of clutch problems can be traced directly to the engine oil type/viscosity/etc.
Is you clutch failing to disengage completely or is it just when you first start up after sitting overnight?
My tour bike (Venture Royale has a hyd clutch and if it sits for a couple weeks it does the same thing for the first gear engagement. After the first one it is fine. Both my wife's 800 and my 800 do this too but work just fine after the first one.
When the oil in either of the 3 bikes gets near 2 or 3k miles it will do this more frequently.
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

N4RWM
Bob Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
sfair
Top Contributor

Another thing to check is the kickstand interlock switch for being bad, dirty, loose, out of adjustment, bad connection.
The symtom is you pull clutch, put in first and as soon as you start to let the clutch out, the engine dies.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEWOOD15000 View Post
I got a Vulcan Mean Streak 1600 my clutch is having problems my bike runs good and when i pull the clutch and drop it in 1st gear the bike try to take off but stalls as if i didn't pull in the clutch at all i keep hearing theres a clutch adjustment but where can i find the adjustment on the bike its a hydraulic clutch just to let you know. Does the mean streak have a clutch adjustment on the bike? if some one can help me out so i can drive my bike again you will be the man haha thanks

*STEVE*
Your friction plates are sticking to the metal discs of your clutch. This is not uncommon. The way around it is one of two ways. Before starting the bike, put it in first gear and with the clutch lever pulled in, roll the bike forward. If the bike stops, roll it back then forward again until it frees up. Back to neutral then start the bike. Pull the clutch lever in a few times while it's warming up. The other way is to start the bike as you would normally then when you're ready to leave pull in the clutch lever and rev the engine a couple of times before dropping it into 1st. I would also consider flushing and bleeding the hydraulic line to be sure you are getting the full benefit of the design.

Last edited by Sojourner; 04-01-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
sfair
Top Contributor

[QUOTE=Sojourner;46568]. The other way is to start the bike as you would normally then when you're ready to leave pull in the clutch lever and rev the engine a couple of times before dropping it into 1st. QUOTE]

Ouch!!!!
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Tazlives2ride
Top Contributor

That hurt.........
Old 04-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

Needless to say let the engine speed return to idle before engaging 1st gear.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:39 AM   #8
STEVEWOOD15000

Default Still having clutch issues

my clutch is still not disengaging it feels like theres not enough pressure in the lines but ive bleed it over and over again and i did the breaks just fine but the clutch just gives me problems when i go to take off i pull the clutch and put the bike in first gear but thats when the bike jumps and stalls on me cuz the clutch didnt do its jobs how can i make sure pressures not the issue and fix this problem b4 summers over
STEVEWOOD15000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEWOOD15000 View Post
my clutch is still not disengaging it feels like theres not enough pressure in the lines but ive bleed it over and over again and i did the breaks just fine but the clutch just gives me problems when i go to take off i pull the clutch and put the bike in first gear but thats when the bike jumps and stalls on me cuz the clutch didnt do its jobs how can i make sure pressures not the issue and fix this problem b4 summers over
Wow, a two year old thread and you're still trying to sort out your clutch issue. Leveling the master cylinder reservoir then cracking the bolt at the banjo fitting before pumping the clutch handle may eject any air trapped there. Make sure no fluid gets on your bike. If that doesn't solve the problem then there is most likely damage somewhere in the clutch assembly, possibly one or more broken clutch springs. Sorry but I don't have any hands on experience with the Mean Streak clutch internals to give you any detailed advise.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
Bob Myers
Lifetime Premium

Obviously this bike sits a lot! That in itself will cause the plates to stick together.
Do as suggested in post #4, engine off, in gear, pull in the clutch handle( we are presuming you have a good solid handle but you never elaborate on just how hard it is to pull) and rock it back and forth. If this don't free the discs then it is time to pull the cover and replace those warped steel spacer rings and sticky clutch discs. Once you obtain the new disc, if it goes that far, be sure to soak them in oil for a couple hours before you put them in.
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

N4RWM
Bob Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement