engine knocking - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Engine Work

Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
marley

Default engine knocking

I have an 04 1500 vulcan and since reaching 20,000miles there is a knocking coming from the engine. It's particularly noticeable at idle but I can hear it at speed too. Should I be worried?
marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Adamshirley

not sure about the 1500, but i know the 800's have some rubber isolators in the bottom end of the engine that harden after a few years and make a knocking sound. If the 1500 has the same thing that could be what it is, my 800 has done it since i bought it and other than the noise it hasnt caused any issues.

"The reason I don't ride a Harley isn't that i cant afford the motorcycle...it's that I cant afford the damn clothes" - Me to a guy that said "why didn't you buy a Harley instead of that rice burner, can't you afford a real motorcycle"
Adamshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
PatC
Lifetime Premium

My '04 1500 has made noises since I've had it and have gotten louder as it broke in. There are days I swear it's going to come apart, but it seems to be quite normal for these bikes. Knocking, rattling, clicking- it would be hard to tell if anything was really wrong! I have 41.5k on mine and it's still running strong.

Here's a good resource. Scroll down to number 5.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/newbie.htm
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
PatC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Dr.G

It's the nature of a V-Twin. Every one that I've owned (7 of them) have had a knock and other crazy engine sounds. My current 2011 Voyager has just shy of 50,000 miles on it. It runs great uses no oil and knocks all the time, sometimes worse than other. I don't even hear it anymore, or at least just ignore it. The Vulcans are still quiet compared to a Victory or a Harley.
Dr.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
07vn2000

Garage

Check the timing chain seems to be a common problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DWz_p-2BSA
07vn2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
marley

Well,that helps but when I got on it today it would only stay at a high rev. When I downshift it doesn't slow like the throttle is stuck.
marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Dr.G

Well that's a different kind of problem. Check to make sure the throttle cables are adjusted correctly. Sometimes when people put on new grips they don't get the cables back to the proper adjustment. Ray has a good thread on the proper adjustment technique here on this forum. Also may be time to clean the throttle bodies, there is also a thread on this topic if you do a search. Both are pretty easy to do, hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Dr.G

Another thing, I just noticed your bike is a 04. It has a fast idle adjustment on the left side used for cold starts. Make sure that's not in the out position.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
PatC
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
Well that's a different kind of problem. Check to make sure the throttle cables are adjusted correctly. Sometimes when people put on new grips they don't get the cables back to the proper adjustment. Ray has a good thread on the proper adjustment technique here on this forum. Also may be time to clean the throttle bodies, there is also a thread on this topic if you do a search. Both are pretty easy to do, hope this helps.
If it's an '04 classic, it's probably carbed.
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
PatC is offline   Reply With Quote