Brisk Spark Plugs - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 05-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Roadie
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Default Brisk Spark Plugs

Anyone here on this forum try any of these Brisk Spark Plugs, they state they out perform any others on the maket and help increase mileage and power. They make them for the Kawasaki 1700 models.

Here is what they state;

Quote:
If you need aggressive ignition performance and spark voltage at unparalleled levels don't miss the chance to purchase Brisk Bike performance spark plugs. Misfires are now controlled and these plugs will allow you to have steadily high levels of improved acceleration and throttle response. Thanks to Brisk's commitment in innovation and its 25-year experience in plug manufacturing, misfires and non-firing issues have been abolished for good and all, consequently combustion conditions have improved dramatically, resulting in increased engine performance. These heavy duty plugs are designed to help Buyers improve HP, torque, kickout time and acceleration furthermore to increase fuel efficiency. Our racing plugs' design ensures optimum mix ignition in the cylinders and warrants extra HP, compared to standard projective tip plugs or other brand performance plugs. 360-degree electrode plugs outperform even iridium spark plugs in regards to firing energy, extra power as well as durability.

Roadie
2011 Vaquero

Amsoil Oil | TLC Bag Liners
Mini Beast Air Horn | Sagebrush Bag Chaps
Power Commander V | Cobra Tri-Oval SlipOns
Thunder Tornado Air Kit | Madcorider Oil Tempstick
Marvellas Trailer Hitch Kit | Rumbling Pride Flag Mounts
Utopia Drivers Backrest | Sagebrush Leather Tank Bib
Michelin Commander II Tires | Classic's Engine/Road Bar Chaps
Wind Vest 10" Smoked Windscreen | Avon Grips with RacNRay's Throttle Mod

4 Wheels Move the Body & 2 Wheels Move the Soul
Roadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

Never heard of them, but honestly, as long as your current plugs are firing everytime, I cant see plugs making a noticable difference i performance. If you have a high performance ignition with higher voltage, a different electrode metal may last longer due to not burning out as quick.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

I have often wonder how companies can sell these products that will "Improve" you performance. A spark plug, is a spark plug, is a spark plug. Get a reputable brand that manufactures a quality products that will withstand the heat of your ignition and go. This is my opinion and opinion only. But all of these "performance enhancing" spark plugs are just marketing gimmicks. 1 ground electrode, 2 ground electrodes, or 1 big one that is a complete circle around the center electrode, you still get one nice blue spark and it will travel the path of least resistance.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
RobinHell

A spark plug does one job:
It creates a flame kernel in the compressed air/fuel mixture.
The flame kernel travels (propagates) across the combustion chamber in the form of a controlled burn.

It never ceases to amaze me how much useless crap is marketed, and how steadily the public gobbles it up.

BTW -- Nobody in business for a slight 25 years makes their own spark plugs. A steel foundry, ceramic foundry, and several hydraulic presses/crimpers are necessary. A very high capital investment for a niche product.

Run what came in the bike and you can't go wrong.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
RobinHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

Anyone want some snake oil? Anyone?

The plugs that come in the 1700 have a good reputation for reliability. I don't see a reason to experiment with something that isn't having a problem, and perhaps introduce a problem that I didn't have!
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
RACNRAY
Vendor

Here is some of my experience with plugs.
First, there IS A DIFFERENCE in plugs and it pertains to the how and where in their operation.
HUH?
As has been said, the plug is the final conduit for the voltage generated in the coil. The gap is the exposed part of that conduit. The "quality" of that gap, where the gap sits in the combustion chamber, how that gap affects the voltage of the spark and the quality and size of that initial ball of flame that starts the combustion process will have an influence on the affectiveness of that plug.

I had a GSXR1000 in the shop a few years back that had headwork, milled head and a set of cams. The work was done by a popular race shop for sportbikes. During the dyno work here at my shop we pulled the plugs to inspect them. We found a set of Brisk plugs. I had never heard of them and was very interested in them as they were very different from what I had seen before. I am guessing they could be classified as a "surface discharge plug" as they had no ground electrode. This is the "how" the plug design affects the spark quality.The spark had to jump from the center electrode to the base of the plug, and that distance was at least .100", quite large. A gap this large would have the affect in raising the voltage required to jump that gap but also shortening the duration of that spark.
Now the "where" aspect. Since the spark must jump "back" to the base of the plug, that initial ball of flame is now starting on the side of the plug. That flame front now has the protruding spark plug in it's path somewhat blocking it's path across the combustion chamber. Such a large path for the spark would suggest a HUGE ball of flame and good and complete combustion.
The plugs were clean and in good shape, but as my curiosity of thier performance grew I decided to install the plugs we use in the GSXR's for a back to back comparison. The plugs we use are platinum tipped dual ground electrode plugs. NGK brand. The dyno runs were less than one hour apart and the results were impressive.
The NGK plugs started to show a power gain at 5000 rpm. There were gains of 2.6 hp @ 7000, 3.4hp @ 8000 and 9000 rpm, 2.9 @ 10,000rpm with a 1.3 hp gain at the peak! The brisk plugs wre no match. I have also seen no gains in performance with E3 plugs when compared to the plugs I sell.

Bottom line, where the plug gap sits in the combustion chamber, how much of the air/fuel mixture is exposed to the gap and how little the plug "blocks" the flame front from spreading across and thru the combustion chamber is all important. The 1700's use an "extremely projected tip" Iridium plug that is one of the best designs available and I have dyno results and customer feedback documenting that fact.

Iridium is a very hard metal so electrode wear is minimal as compared to a copper or platinum center electrode plug. These plugs can probably last 50,000 miles!

RACNRAY
RACNRAY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Wow, impressive write up. I am not arguing your theory at all when I say this as I do not have the education or experience of you. But in our (average Joe) day to day lives, I do not believe a 1 hp change would make me smile any bigger or smaller while cruising on the V2K. Even though I know I need a good clean complete burn of fuel in the combustion chamber. So I will stick to the NGK _____ plugs that my service manual calls for.

EDIT: Sorry I misread your last post. I reread it after I replied. I thought you said the Brisk Plugs showed improvement over the NGK. My Bad.

Were these the plugs you pulled out of the zook. I have never understood how companies claim multiple sparks with only one center electrode. Doesn't electricity follow the path of least resistance and will still form one spark to the closest/cleanest part of the base of the plug???

http://www.briskusa.com/products/spa...gs/multispark/
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.

Last edited by SWVA_08V2k; 05-21-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
RACNRAY
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
Wow, impressive write up. I am not arguing your theory at all when I say this as I do not have the education or experience of you. But in our (average Joe) day to day lives, I do not believe a 1 hp change would make me smile any bigger or smaller while cruising on the V2K. Even though I know I need a good clean complete burn of fuel in the combustion chamber. So I will stick to the NGK _____ plugs that my service manual calls for.

EDIT: Sorry I misread your last post. I reread it after I replied. I thought you said the Brisk Plugs showed improvement over the NGK. My Bad.

Were these the plugs you pulled out of the zook. I have never understood how companies claim multiple sparks with only one center electrode. Doesn't electricity follow the path of least resistance and will still form one spark to the closest/cleanest part of the base of the plug???

http://www.briskusa.com/products/spa...gs/multispark/
That plug looks like what we pulled out, but that this comparison was done back in April 2007. Whether it was the same I do not know.

Brisk is claiming mutiple simultaneous sparks, how that is accomplished I don't know. Lighting tha a/f mixture at 3 different points with the resulting 3 flame fronts would improve combustion efficiency and could be beneficial for performance. Engines with more than one plug per cylinder benefit from better combustion due to "lighting the fire" in different areas of the chamber.

The power improvements on the dyno are the results of increases in torque and that is one of the things you WILL feel. In this example there will also be an improvement in mpg, an increase in engine smoothness and improved throttle response. Positive dyno results will translate into real world performance gains.

RACNRAY
RACNRAY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
That plug looks like what we pulled out, but that this comparison was done back in April 2007. Whether it was the same I do not know.

Brisk is claiming mutiple simultaneous sparks, how that is accomplished I don't know. Lighting tha a/f mixture at 3 different points with the resulting 3 flame fronts would improve combustion efficiency and could be beneficial for performance. Engines with more than one plug per cylinder benefit from better combustion due to "lighting the fire" in different areas of the chamber.

The power improvements on the dyno are the results of increases in torque and that is one of the things you WILL feel. In this example there will also be an improvement in mpg, an increase in engine smoothness and improved throttle response. Positive dyno results will translate into real world performance gains.

RACNRAY
... if it dose what is say it dose... I like being knowledgeable in what products are available but sometimes it is hard to tell what is truth and what is advertisement fluff. And this is something that I (on my own) can test one way or the other.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
sfair
Top Contributor

Every whiz bang type of spark plug has been around since the demise of "make and break" ignition systems and yet the old conventional style of spark plug solders on with maybe some changes in material only.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SA-F...item589d12fe0c

Last edited by sfair; 05-21-2013 at 12:27 PM.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement