First Long Ride EVER.... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 05-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
bartbow

Default First Long Ride EVER....

I am gearing up for what would be my longest ride to date. I am in South Ga (right near the Fl border) working and left my beautiful VN900 Custom at home not thinking I'd have time to ride. Well that is not the case and it looks like I may be taking a trip home to pick her up and ride her down. The distance one way is just shy of 600 miles, my longest ride EVER....I am looking for ANY advise that more experienced riders may have. I am a little nervous about the 9 hour (+/-) ride on that stock seat.....
bartbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
angelo
Top Contributor

Well, you could look at it that way.

Or you could look at it as a good, solid day in the seat.

OR, you could find an 18 hour route home and overnight camp it somewhere.

I have some experience at longer travel - all on stock seats. It is more desire than anything else. It is also more enjoyable (but less expedient) on random, off the beaten path two lanes roads. So, I guess the real question is do you want to (or have to due to time restraints) slab it home or make a ride out of it?

Either way, sounds like you are committed to it and that is the biggest and best step. Congrats. Enjoy!

Of course, take breaks as needed, drink water, etc, etc .... And, by the way, there is only one way to find out if the seat will suit you
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Daboo311
Top Contributor

Quote:
I am a little nervous about the 9 hour (+/-) ride on that stock seat.....
Put you a gel pad on that stock seat and take a break every hour. Nothing to be nervous about.... just take your time and enjoy the ride.
Daboo311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

Cheap insurance, purchase a quality set of padded bicycle shorts.
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
Stitch

Garage

Some Gold Bond in the shorts might help. Depending on the length of the ride sometimes I start out with some ibuprohen to ward off the aches and pains. Stay hydradated.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
ikillbugs
Top Contributor

Garage

Good luck, and +1 on the previous advice. Don't push it, STOP when you get tired, even if it's just a 15 minute break just to loosen up, and like Stitch said: stay hydradated. lol Stitch it seems like you're pretty "hydrated" yourself!

I have a photographic memory... but sometimes I run out of film
ikillbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
Palmetto_1600

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
Cheap insurance, purchase a quality set of padded bicycle shorts.
damn... this never even crossed my mind... and I own a couple pair of these shorts already... great idea
Palmetto_1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
HRH_Z
Top Contributor

On a long trip like that, when you're trying to just GET there, I-95 is your friend!

Vulcan 900 Classic

Harley Davidson Road King (103")
HRH_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
RogerE

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartbow View Post
I am gearing up for what would be my longest ride to date. I am in South Ga (right near the Fl border) working and left my beautiful VN900 Custom at home not thinking I'd have time to ride. Well that is not the case and it looks like I may be taking a trip home to pick her up and ride her down. The distance one way is just shy of 600 miles, my longest ride EVER....I am looking for ANY advise that more experienced riders may have. I am a little nervous about the 9 hour (+/-) ride on that stock seat.....
IMHO that is just too many miles in one day. Be smart and safe and stay overnight along the way. You will enjoy the trip a LOT more. Just one man's opinion.

Grasshopper backrest
Lowered passenger boards
W/S bag
Kuryakyn offset dually pegs
Airhawk 2
Shell Rotella T6 synthetic oil
Racnray's throttle mod
K&N air filter
Drilled exhaust end caps

Patriot Guard Rider
Taps Bugler - Bugles Across America
Sons of the American Legion NO-VEL Post 159

I spent most of my money on wine, women and motorcycles. The rest I wasted.
RogerE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #10
CustomRider
Top Contributor

I have taken a few long distance rides on my Custom. As other's have suggested, way too many for one day, especially in the stock seat. Split it up over a few days, or more if you have the time and resources.

If you have saddlebags (or any type of storage, such as a backpack) keep a few tools handy (you never know), and pack for a few different types of weather. (I have been in some of the worst rain storms you could imagine on mine, and luckily had rain gear!) Stay hydrated, take frequent stops to stretch out. Again, as others have said, don't push it.

Check tire pressures, oil level, make sure everything is functioning before your ride, and enjoy! The Custom is a very competent cruiser for trips like this. (Although I couldn't ride longer than 30 minutes without pain, and ditched the stock seat long ago, others have found it fine for longer trips).
CustomRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement