Sputtering/ no power in 2-5 gear need help - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
05gtiguy

Default Sputtering/ no power in 2-5 gear need help

I have a 2012 with 2k miles on it. I have never had an issue with the bike, until today. I was riding down the freeway and it started sputtering almost like it wasn't getting any gas. Then it stalled, when I started back up it idled perfect, first gear perfect but as soon as I shifted to second gear and gave it gas it started sputtering, backfiring and died out again. I pulled off again and turned it off waiting a few minutes and then tried again with the same results idle and first gear work perfect but as soon as I shift to any other gear it sputters, lacks any power, and just backfires. The f1 light comes on only after I shift into a higher gear. It will let me ride like nothing is wrong in 1st gear no matter how hard I hit the throttle but as soon as I switch to 2nd or 3rd I experience the issue. Any idea's what this might be? Bike has 3inch straight pipes, a barons big air kit, and power commander.
05gtiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Do you have a service manual? If so, check out the troubleshooting section, but with your fuel mgmt system installed you'll have to take that into consideration.

Without testing fuel pressure, my guess would be along these lines a fuel pump, fuel filter, bad fuel (water), fuel line obstruction. After these it could be the power cmdr (you could test by removing), and finally the ECU.

I am surprised it does not cut out during first gear acceleration. Hope you find your problem.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
silenthill
Top Contributor

Bad gas, was it laid up for the winter? Too much Stabil?
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
silenthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
ErnieC
Top Contributor

Garage

Check the hoses on top of the cylinders, I had a lot of backfiring etc one time after 1st, I found the vacum hose on top of the cyclinder had come off

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:
http://www.youtube.com/user/erniechiasson
Here is another Hobby of mine model boats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ATi_sSJOvs
ErnieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

I agree with BOSCO about removing the PC just to see if that's the problem. You might check the code that's now stored in the ECU to see why the FI light was coming on. I'm going to guess it's the throttle position sensor, but it's only a guess.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
sfair
Top Contributor

As Sojourner said, remove power commander and try again.
The FI light may be coming on due to stall. Removing PC may clear FI light.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

First thing I would do is get some fresh fuel in there if it has been sitting of a while. (doubt it is because of winter since you are in Hawaii)

Second thing I would do is check the charging system, low power going to the ECU and Fuel System can cause some crazy symptoms.

Third for me would be the PC. I can't help it but I tend to follow the aftermarket added parts before I suspect factory components.

A question for the 900 gurus, does the 900 have a shifter position sensor like the V2Ks. The V2Ks timing changes depending on what gear it is in. The reason I ask is because I find it odd that it doesn't cut on in 1st.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
whoaru99
Top Contributor

I third or fourth the recommendation to remove the Power Commander before any further troubleshooting.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Daboo311
Top Contributor

Quote:
a barons big air kit, and power commander
I'm thinking if bad fuel or water in gas, you would not be able to run fine in 1st.

With the low miles you have on it, it is a kit/pc problem. This is one of the reasons I don't care about making these types of additions to stock bike.
Daboo311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
05gtiguy

Thanks so much for all the help. The thing that throw me is it works fine at idle and in first gear. I ride the bike almost everyday, in fact before it did this I had been riding the same morning without any issue, then in the afternoon this happened about ten min into my ride. I did check all the hoses and everything there looks fine. When I removed the PC I thought that fixed it as i was able to somewhat ride but I got to 3 gear and same issue, and now it's doing the same thing in every gear other then first again. As far as gas it's on half tank and was put in from the same place I always go. I go through a tank in about 2-3 weeks. I don't have a battery tender so checking that myself is out right now. Any other thoughts?
Power Commander
05gtiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement