spark plug removal - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
tcrider

Default spark plug removal

Hi everyone! I tried to change my spark plugs this past wekkend and found out that you need to remove the gas tank in order to do it. So I had to get me a pump and considering that I just filled the tank I'll have to wait to next weekend to do this, plus I'll have more time.
So the question is, if anybody out there did change the spark plug without taking off the tank??. I think it'll make the process a lot easier.

Thanks for the replies and ride safe !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Jace Bror
Top Contributor

Garage

You don't HAVE to remove it. You can lift it slightly and it will work. I think when I did mine I removed the bezel around the speedo, which is easy. You just remove the allen screw and then gently but forcefully slide the bezel forward. There is a tab inside at the front that clips in. Then you can you can remove the bolt/bolts(cant remember if there is more then one or not). Lift the tank up and use your block of choice to hold it up. I think I used a 2x4 with a rag wrapped around it. Use the spark plug removal tool and one of the open ended wrenches that comes in the tool kit. It is slow going.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
Jace Bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
tcrider

Thumbs up even the front one??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace Bror View Post
You don't HAVE to remove it. You can lift it slightly and it will work. I think when I did mine I removed the bezel around the speedo, which is easy. You just remove the allen screw and then gently but forcefully slide the bezel forward. There is a tab inside at the front that clips in. Then you can you can remove the bolt/bolts(cant remember if there is more then one or not). Lift the tank up and use your block of choice to hold it up. I think I used a 2x4 with a rag wrapped around it. Use the spark plug removal tool and one of the open ended wrenches that comes in the tool kit. It is slow going.
I can see there is enough space to take the rear one , but I dont think There is enough for the front one.
I still have a couple more days to think this.
I did lift the rear part of the tank and place a 2x4, when I tried to take the plug out, it was impossible. I was afraid to brake something if applied to much force to it. It seems that without the tank you can use better tools to work it out.
Thanks again for your help!!
Ride safe!!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
Rollingbones
Top Contributor

I changed mine yesterday. Besides the fact the old ones looked great with 9500 miles on them, changing the plugs was really quick and easy. I use the plug wrench that came with the tool kit and a 12mm wrench to turn the tool.

REAR: Pulled the two tank bolts, a small piece of a 2X4 and there was plenty of clearance (done from the left side)...

FRONT: Put the tank back down. I fed the tool around the the small hose that's in the way from the front of the valve cover, down and in. Came out the same way and reversed the processes to put the new one in (done from the right side)...

The key to not make it any more complicated than it needs to be. Like I said, quick and easy!!! Good luck with it...
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch

Last edited by Rollingbones; 11-24-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Rollingbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
Jace Bror
Top Contributor

Garage

I dont know. It has been awhile since I did mine. I just went off the info I found on here. I know I wish I woulda drained the gas tank, so it was lighter.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
Jace Bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
bass567

The service manual calls for a tank removal. But what Rollingbones describes sounds like a really good solution - to prop it up just a little to get access.

While we are on the subject: How often do you guys feel the plugs need to be changed? MOM says every 12k miles, but that sounds awfully frequent to me. Today's spark plugs should last many times that without a material degradation. The Vulcans don't seem to be high-revving nor hot-running machines, so I wonder what your view is.

Last edited by bass567; 11-24-2009 at 09:03 AM.
bass567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
Helek_52
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass567 View Post
While we are on the subject: How often do you guys feel the plugs need to be changed? MOM says every 12k miles, but that sounds awfully frequent to me. Today's spark plugs should last many times that without a material degradation. The Vulcans don't seem to be high-revving nor hot-running machines, so I wonder what your view is.
I'm with you, bass, 12K does seem a bit frequent w/today's plugs, but (to me) the mileage is a moot point. I pull my plugs once a year regardless of the mileage just as a maintenance routine.

Your other point regarding the Vulcan's being high-revving i think deserves discussion, but i don't want to get off subject, so i'll start a new thread for that.
Helek_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
tcrider

Thanks all for the info. I was changing plugs only 'cause the manual says that needs replacement at the 7500 miles service. I went over 8000 already, and I'm running drilled pipes. Plus my commute ride is over 100 + daily on highway speed.
Taking all this in consideration, you guys think that I should wait longer to replace them??
Thanks again for all your help.

I find this forum very helpful all the time.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
bass567

Mileage may not be such a moot point when it comes to spark plugs, in my opinion. The life of the plug is affected probably more than by anything else by the number of (zillions) sparks it has given over time. It is not exposed to any kind of weather effects like hoses and tires.

I changed plugs in my car several times after many tens of thousands of miles. The electrodes were a little more rounded compared to the brand new plugs, but you had to look really up close. I saw really no difference how the car ran after I changed them (no mileage difference, no difference in the smoothness or anything). I often suspected they would have probably lasted another 30k or 50k miles -- assuming the proper gap adjustment.

Maybe those of us who have changed plugs after a long interval can share their opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to skimp at a wrong place - I know we are talking a few bucks and a 20 minute job, but at the same time I do not replace say the brake lever on my handlebar every other year just because it is easy to do and it is cheap. I hope you get my point.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
oquirrhvulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace Bror View Post
I think when I did mine I removed the bezel around the speedo, which is easy. You just remove the allen screw and then gently but forcefully slide the bezel forward. There is a tab inside at the front that clips in.
Thanks for the above info. I have been wanting to do the resistor fix on the fuel gauge but was not sure how to remove the bezel. I removed the screw but was not sure what was holding the front in place. I always seen to breakoff little plastic clips so I didn't proceed.

To stay with this thread though... Years ago as I'm sure you all remember, plugs had to be changed often, fouled by the leaded gas. I have 85,000 miles on my 2000 S10 and have not changed plugs yet. It is starting to develop a miss at idle though so I'm gonna have to do it soon.

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy
Mustang Seat and passenger backrest
oquirrhvulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement