Shinko 230's on Custom - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Delta_Shread

Garage
Default Shinko 230's on Custom

I know I'm opening a can of worms here and everyone has their preference...but I need to replace both tires immediatly (I bought the bike at 14+k miles with both stock tires...all highway miles). Money is an issue right now and I will be changing them out at the end of the season but for now the Shinko 230 are looking like a great deal for just over $130 w/shipping.

Has anyone ever run with these tires on their Custom? I'm looking at 80/90-21 front and 170/80-15 rear. If money wasn't tight right now, I'd go for some RCII but gotta keep the wife off my back

Thanks in advance!

D
Delta_Shread is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Palmetto_1600

Garage

I haven't had many dealings with the shinkos in person. I know when I rode my crotch rocket, a lot of straight line guys swore by them. Most people don't care for them if they like to carve out curves and stuff, which is not usually a big problem with these bikes.

I would say, get the best tire you can afford. Either way they will be better than the racing slicks you have on there right now. We can't all afford the "best" tires every time. That's why there are cheaper tires out there... I say get the shinko's and go ride. You just may need to ride easy for a while as you get used to them. All tires ride differently, and some are like night and day when you change from one brand to another.
Palmetto_1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Vulcan_tom
Banned

I have my advice on tires, and it's this, Do Not Go Cheap On Tires. Because tires are what keeps your bike on the road and a good set is worth ever penny. You can say that you owe your safety while riding to your tires. So if you want to go cheap, it's your bike and your safety. Personally I think going cheap on tires is the worst decision anyone can make, and if you wife thinks cheap tires on your bike is the way to go, well then she does not think much for your safety. That's all I have to say on that. Good luck.
Vulcan_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Daboo311
Top Contributor

Just got 2 on my custom and no complaints. I also so them as a good deal. I only have the dunlops to compare them to.

If they fail, I've learned a lesson but for now they look and ride great. I say go for it!
Daboo311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Delta_Shread

Garage

Thanks for all the imput. Vulcan Tom...I see your point bro and its a good one!

What are people's thought on running mixed mfg? Example: Metzler rear and Bridgestone front or do people usually stick with the same company?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Vulcan_tom
Banned

Tire experts recommend not to mix brands of tires on a motorcycle, but it can be done, just that handling will be unpredictable.
Vulcan_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Delta_Shread

Garage

Copy all...makes sense! Thanks
Old 04-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
Lonestar_R

I bought my 07 Custom 3 years ago with 3500 miles on it. Both tires had been replaced by the dealer I bought it from. Front was a stock Dunlop and the rear was a Shinko. I am still on them today. The bike now has a little over 12000 miles on it. I will probably get all of this season out of them and maybe the start of the next. I will most likely replace them before next winter since I won't have any down time next season.

I know people don't like the Shinko's, but I have no complaints. I keep both inflated properly and wear seems to be very even. I am not hard on equipment tho. When I buy tires they will be something different. But if money is an issue you have to buy what you can afford. so you can ride.
Lonestar_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
issaccheriyathu

I have switched to Shinko 230s from stock Dunlops.

One thing I have noticed is that they offer better grip. Probably because they use a softer compound since I also read some reviews that they don't last very long. I'll update about the wear factor once I get about 5000 miles on them.
issaccheriyathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #10
Nati

I have them on my bike and have gotten the bike far enough over to drag the pegs on several occasions with no issue what so ever. I also had a set of these on my zx10 and had no issue "carving corners"

Shinko bought out yokohama motorcycle tires in 98 and yokohama is a pretty well known brand so to say these are "cheap" is misinformed IMHO
Nati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement