Nomad 1600 oil leak - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Engine Work

Old 08-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
Keeper

Default Nomad 1600 oil leak

I had a 2006 classic 1600 and I traded it off last year for a 2007 nomad 1600,because of an annoying oil leak under the engine near the front. Had it to dealer 3 times finally gave up and picked up 07 nomad. Now, yep you guessed it, another oil leak on new 07 nomad in approximately the same place. Oil appears to be coming our of lower engine compartment, can't see exactly where. Oil comes out near the kick stand. It is not coming from the shift shaft seal. Anyone got an idea?
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
scss64

Keeper,

Had the same problem. It is probably the oil seal for the clutch that has become un-seated. You will have to remove the foot pad, shifter, and chrome cover. Just slightly to the right and above the kickstand, you should see a circular chrome cover a little larger that a silver dollar. Remove it and you should find a small rod and a hard plastic oil seal. You can re-set the seal usuing a small deep well socket. I would strongly recommend replacing the seal, but by re-seating the old one should temporally stop the leak.
scss64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
PdMay

Ok, I'm replacing the seal in the clutch described in this thread. When done and all is back in place do you replace the clutch oil (brake fluid) at the reservior on the handle bar or at what appears to be the bleeder down where the seal is?
PdMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
BlackClassic

Default Feed back please

Hows it going could you tell me if replacing this seal fixed your leak thanks
BlackClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
PdMay

BlackClassic, yes, replacing the seal did the trick (once I found it). If you haven't taken it apart yet the seal is behind the plunger that's in the component that you remove from the clutch housing. Refilling the reservoir and bleeding the line was no problem either. The service guy at my Kawasaki dealership said these seals need to be replaced about every 2 years. Seems odd to me.
PdMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Gabbyone

Wow you guys really helped have a 2008 and 47000 on it and have had more than a few things go wrong,first front end steering bearing and the water pump and the radiator then clutch started slipping in upper gears,the I noticed a oil leak in the area you have spoke of and feel sure that will be the problem ,glad I bought a extended warranty. on my first vulcan 1600 classic 2003 just changed tires, no problems up until I handed it down to my son at 87,000 and he pushed it a little to hard. thanks again I really love this site.

Gabby
Gabbyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement