Do I need new exhaust gaskets - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
Lunarunit

Default Do I need new exhaust gaskets

I just purchased the Cobra 2 into 1 HP pipes for my 900 LT. I've got 1600 miles on bike. Can I reuse the exhaust gaskets or do I need to buy new ones? I'm betting the dealer will gouge me for the price of the gaskets. Does anyone know what the price of these should be?

Thanks,
Lunarunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
MN-Rider
Administrator

Garage

You need new ones are they are usually very cheap. They are crush gaskets and conform to the pipes and head. If you reuse the old one, you will most likely have leaks and that can produce popping on decel. Another tip when tightening them down to torque spec, alternate between the bolts in increments, like 3, 6 9 foot lbs. to draw the pipe up evenly.
MN-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
Lunarunit

I appreciate the information. What you said makes sense. I'll go by the dealer today after work and pick-up some new gaskets. I'm taking Thursday and Friday off. This should give me plenty of time to do the job right and still get some riding in. I live in Alabama and the temperature is still in the low 70's during the day. Again, thank you.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
mattk22

when i took my stock pipes off there was just a metal gasket, not crush gasket, now i have a 900 Custom, but i can't imagine there is a difference.
mattk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
MN-Rider
Administrator

Garage
Default Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk22 View Post
when i took my stock pipes off there was just a metal gasket, not crush gasket, now i have a 900 Custom, but i can't imagine there is a difference.
That metal gasket IS the crush gasket, that is what it looks like after being crushed, it conforms in shape to the pipes and heads!
MN-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
Jace Bror
Top Contributor

Garage

The PO of my bike didn't replace the gaskets when he put the Hard Krome pipes on. I was getting pops really bad. When I removed the pipes to replace the gaskets (PIA) they were burnt through in some spots.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
Jace Bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
greran

Yep, good advice previously - most people figure since they are metal that they should be good to go again. For a minimal $, you can save the installation process to only once!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
Lunarunit

I got my Cobra 2 into 1 HP Pipes put on. I bought two crush gaskets from my dealer. They cost me $8.46 w/tax. This wasn't as bad as I thought. I followed ********* recommendation and torque the exhaust bolts 3lbs, then 6lbs, 9lbs and finally 12lbs. There are no leaks. Taking the orginal pipes off was more difficult than installing the new ones. My new exhaust are not too loud. I am pleased with the sound. However I do have backfiring on deacceleration now. I'm not sure how I'm going to address this yet. I'm leaning toward a fuel processor and air intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement