Performance upgrades??? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1600

Old 10-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
Martini Man

Garage
Default Performance upgrades???

I'm starting to get that urge to increase performance on my Kawasaki 1600 Classic. I know the classic three things to do are:

Fuel Management

Air

Pipes

Just because of costs if I do anything, I'll probably do one at a time.

I was thinking either K&N air filter or fuel management system first. I know Cobra has a fuel management system specific to California because of emissions. That one can not be adjusted. There are no settings. Just plug and play. Any of you California folks use that one and if so, what are your opinions? Or if you use a different one, what is it and what do you think?

Pipes would probably be last thing I'd get which leads to the question, what would be the order of performance improvements you have done.....or would do?

2011 Vulcan Vaquero 'black of course'
Auxiliary lights
Cee Bailey's 11" shield
Corbin 'Young Guns' seat
Ipod adapter
Passenger Backrest & floorboards & luggage rack
Saddlebag top trim powder coated black
Kuryakyn black iso grips
Racnrays Invention (throttle mod)
Martini Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
KsVn900
Top Contributor

Garage

Honestly, if you have to do the big 3 incrementally, I would suggest exhaust first. Reason being, you can do exhaust without doing anything else then save for the rest. I wouldn't recommend doing intake without fuel management, because if you add air and are unable to adjust the fuel/air mix then it's a mute point, same thing goes for doing fuel management without intake, if you add no air there's nothing different to manage. IMHO, fuel management and intake should be done at the same time for the best results. Ideally doing all 3 at once is well worth the wait(if you have to save for the upgrades)the change is very dramatic, I know I'm glad I waited A K&N filter in the stock intake isn't going to help much at all. The problem lies in the stock intake itself, the design is crap. Any of the aftermarket intakes flow more than enough for our 1600's, so that leaves quite a few choices.

I can't help ya much with the Cal. version of the Cobra, thank God I don't have to put up with that here, lol! I use the Dobeck TFI and love it, simple to install, simple to tune.
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
KsVn900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
Martini Man

Garage

Great advice....that's pretty much what I thought as far as doing the pipes first. Someone said they did the fuel management first so that kind of threw me off. The emissions controls are pretty strict here though with motorcycles, don't think is much of an issue with enforcement, not that I would ever break the law. ;<)
Only real conundrum I have is, I like the sound of the OEM pipes on the 1600. And people who ride behind me like them too! I'm not really into setting off car alarms and irritating the neighbors when I leave for work at 5:00 in the morning. Any suggestons on pipes?

Auxiliary lights
Cee Bailey's 11" shield
Corbin 'Young Guns' seat
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn black iso grips
Old 10-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
slaponte
Top Contributor

To improve performance, you need to improve flow, to improve flow your remove restrictions, which in pipes basically means mufflers, ergo, loud(er)... I am also not much for extra noise (for the sake of noise), but on my 900 I drilled the baffles to improve sound and eliminate a bit of restriction. How far to go... well...

I also like the OEM pipes, so if I can drill/debaffle them I probably will try that first. Super cheap, simple (in most cases) mod and you will be ready for when better intake and FM comes along...
Old 10-31-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Martini Man

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaponte View Post
To improve performance, you need to improve flow, to improve flow your remove restrictions, which in pipes basically means mufflers, ergo, loud(er)... I am also not much for extra noise (for the sake of noise), but on my 900 I drilled the baffles to improve sound and eliminate a bit of restriction. How far to go... well...

I also like the OEM pipes, so if I can drill/debaffle them I probably will try that first. Super cheap, simple (in most cases) mod and you will be ready for when better intake and FM comes along...
I had a 900 too that I really liked. Great bike. I read in these forums about debaffling and started with 2 holes in each pipe. Two was great so I thought 4 must be better and it was! Then six! Within a week I completely ripped out the entire thing. It sure 'seemed' like that helped performance and at least cagers knew I was near. Of course it would set off car alarms as I went by. I do like the looks and the hum of the 1600. Just not sure I want to rip everything out again to the 1600. Maybe if I could stop at 2 or 4 holes!

Auxiliary lights
Cee Bailey's 11" shield
Corbin 'Young Guns' seat
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn black iso grips
Old 10-31-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
slaponte
Top Contributor

Look up the write up at Gadget's page, is not "as simple" on the 1600 as it was on the 900. But nothing a drill and some hole saw can't solve.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
MN-Rider
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Man View Post
I had a 900 too that I really liked. Great bike. I read in these forums about debaffling and started with 2 holes in each pipe. Two was great so I thought 4 must be better and it was! Then six! Within a week I completely ripped out the entire thing. It sure 'seemed' like that helped performance and at least cagers knew I was near. Of course it would set off car alarms as I went by. I do like the looks and the hum of the 1600. Just not sure I want to rip everything out again to the 1600. Maybe if I could stop at 2 or 4 holes!
If the Classic's pipes are the same as the Nomad, you can do this mod in a half hour. Mine went pretty easy.
MN-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement