Battery replacement for Vulcan 500 (question) - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 500

Old 09-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Tassadar

Question Battery replacement for Vulcan 500 (question)

A friend highly recommended the YUASA YB12AL-A2 replacement battery (Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries (AGM)) for my 2003 Vulcan 500. Anyone had any experience with this battery?

Thanks all

CC
Tassadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
mouka

Buy a cheap one (EverStart is the name I think, I am not 100% sure) for $25 from WallMart, they work nicely and are very cheap.
You need to buy a battery tender though, the battery charge drains fairly quickly if you let the bike sit for several days. I bought mine from (surprise!!) WallMart for $20, it is a 1.5 A battery tender, hooked up the battery with the connector sticking from underneath the seat, any time the bike sits for a few days, I connect the battery tender for an hour or two, it has an LED indicator, when it turns green I know I am done, the battery tender keeps it in top shape.
Yuasa are fine batteries, but a little pricey.
Your call now.
mouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
flw

AGM just means it won't spill acid if tilted over. I think what your searching for is a deep cycle battery that can be completely drained and then recharged.

I don't know of one for the Vulcan 500 but am searching for one myself.

If you just want the AGM aspect I found one $58 includes shipping at http://www.batterystuff.com/batteryS...007&m=1#result

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassadar View Post
A friend highly recommended the YUASA YB12AL-A2 replacement battery (Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries (AGM)) for my 2003 Vulcan 500. Anyone had any experience with this battery?

Thanks all

CC

Last edited by flw; 09-28-2009 at 10:25 AM.
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
GeorgiaRider
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassadar View Post

Thanks all

CC
Here's the one I got. Had it for a year or so with no issues.

Call Powersports Batteries at 1-888-561-7100 or I think the website is www.bikebatts.com.

YB12AL-A2 BikeBatts AGM, Sealed Activated Maintenance Free Motorcycle
battery
Model: YB12AL-A2 AGM
Type: AGM Maintenance Free
Volts: 12v
Amps: 12.00 Amps
Size: 134.00mm x 80.00mm x 161.00mm
Weight: 9.50 lbs
Price: $52.00

Saddlemen Cruis'n Large Slant Saddlebags
Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips and Throttle Boss
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock
GeorgiaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
laidbacokie

Don't be cheap on battery. The YUASA is the factory equip for your bike. My mech says it is best for the money. The extra you will spend is like an insurance policy. What's an extra $30? How much have you spent already?
laidbacokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
fastpakr
Top Contributor

I wouldn't buy a cheap battery either. At least get a decent maintenance free battery, and definitely spend $20-30 on a float charger (Battery Tender or otherwise). Here's a discussion I was involved in at another forum about some of the inexpensive options.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Drifter

A YUASA battery will last 6 to 8 years a cheap one 2 if your lucky. My 99 Drifter battery lasted 8 years and the 02 500 6 years. If you plan to keep the 500, you should great little bike ,spend the extra cash and get the good battery. Riding beats pushin!
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
pickandpray

I looked in batterymart.com but they didn't seem to have an AGM for the vulcan 500. I've heard that the AGM batteries don't lose their charge after sitting for a while and the idea of not need to mess with acid or worry about spilling is worth a few buck in my book.
pickandpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:56 AM   #9
GeorgiaRider
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
A YUASA battery will last 6 to 8 years a cheap one 2 if your lucky. My 99 Drifter battery lasted 8 years and the 02 500 6 years. If you plan to keep the 500, you should great little bike ,spend the extra cash and get the good battery. Riding beats pushin!
Anyone know if Yuasa makes a maintenance free battery for the 500?

Saddlemen Cruis'n Large Slant Saddlebags
Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips and Throttle Boss
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock
GeorgiaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
tekrsq

Personally, I don't like maintenance free anything. EVERYTHING needs some type of maintenance. I'd just assume be able to check/fix it myself than have to replace it. Do yourself a favor...replace with the battery with a Yusa, get a decent battery maintainer, and check the fluid level in the battery every couple of months. How hard is that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement