Broke grease fitting on bottom of bike! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 09-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Jeep Pirate
Top Contributor

Default Broke grease fitting on bottom of bike!

First, does anyone know the name of the idiot engineer who made the lowest point on the bike a grease fitting into cast aluminum? If I can find him, he is due an ass whooping!

Second, after someone has gone over a speed bump and thereby ripped this silly fitting out of its casting, what do you do? I assume I could spend an astronomical amount of money at a repair shop having the whole rocker arm replaced. But honestly, I don't really want another rocker with the same stupid design flaw. I am thinking of trying to re-tap the hole and just put in a worm screw plug. Any advise would be great. Maybe some of you guys with newer models can tell me if they fixed this on your bike. Mine is an '07. I know they fixed the phillips head screw on the air filter on the newer bikes by making it an allen head.
Jeep Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Rollingbones
Top Contributor

I know there's two of them down there and I believe the front one on mine is gone as well (and I'd be willing to bet that more people have lost it than have it). Hmmmmm... time for a google search on this matter...
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
Old 09-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Helek_52
Top Contributor

Garage

I'm with you guys. The first time i noticed the fittings down there i thought "Now that's stupid. Any big bump or curb and those are history."

I guess if you can't back them out, you'd have to drill and tap. Bummer.
Helek_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
nedley

Usually, the zerk is just knocked out and not broken off - very common (unfortunately). Go to the local parts store and pick up some metric replacement zerks - then flush out the fitting till fresh grease oozes out everywhere!. Then, remove the zerk and replace with a allen head replacement screw that fits flush in the hole. These are available at many hardware stores - Ace included. Problem solved! When you need to add grease - wash, rinse, repeat!
nedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
LabGuy

Usually the nipple just broke off. Remove the threaded portion with an EZ Out. I pulled all my grease fittings and replaced with a metric set screw ( I think that they are 4mm). The set screw should sit flush with the casting. When you need to grease the bearings, jut replace the screw with a zerk, grease the bearing, then replace the set screw.
LabGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
silenthill
Top Contributor

Now that is some good advice! Thanks guys!
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
silenthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
Helek_52
Top Contributor

Garage

Really great idea. Thanks guys.
Helek_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Jeep Pirate
Top Contributor

Thanks for the advise guys. But I do still have one issue. My front and rear fittings are okay and I can do the set screw swap easily enough. However, my middle fitting is the one that has been ripped out. From what I can tell, the threads in the aluminum casting broke completely out of the hole because the zerk is steel and therefore it's threads didn't break first. The old fitting will just slide in and out of the old hole now. I am wondering if there is enough depth to the hole to run a tap set into so that I can go up a size of zerk fitting?
Jeep Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
teamsunbelt

Garage

JP, Me Too!

I lost mine on a speed bump. At my last service, the tech said that when the Zerk broke, it toke metal with it. It would have to be drilled and tapped, and new zerk, and fill in the difference with JB Weld. His price, $75 per hour. And this will never gaurantee that it will not happen again. This is the down fall of buying bikes from a place that big guys weigh 150.

You could look at one of the lowering kits, if you want a little lowerer stance, plus they have sealed joints, I think.

As soon as I get an EZ Out set, I am going to try one of the above fixes.
Cobra Back Rest w/ Plate
Cobra Luggage Rack
Willie & Max Revolution Bags
Memphis Shades Windshield
Kuryakyn Iso Grips w/ Throttle Boss
Smoked Signals
Dually Rear Pegs
teamsunbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
tcrider

Default type of grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Pirate View Post
First, does anyone know the name of the idiot engineer who made the lowest point on the bike a grease fitting into cast aluminum? If I can find him, he is due an ass whooping!

Second, after someone has gone over a speed bump and thereby ripped this silly fitting out of its casting, what do you do? I assume I could spend an astronomical amount of money at a repair shop having the whole rocker arm replaced. But honestly, I don't really want another rocker with the same stupid design flaw. I am thinking of trying to re-tap the hole and just put in a worm screw plug. Any advise would be great. Maybe some of you guys with newer models can tell me if they fixed this on your bike. Mine is an '07. I know they fixed the phillips head screw on the air filter on the newer bikes by making it an allen head.
Hi, I'm trying to check the grease on this fittings and I have a can of "hevron High load carrying capacity Ultra Duty grease EP NLGI 2 ". I'm almost sure that it 'll OK, but just want to make sure.
If anybody knows for sure please let know. \

Thanks.
Likin'the forum. Kind of new still ...
tcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement