VN900 Exhaust - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 03-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
Channo

Default VN900 Exhaust

My first post on the main site, could only get on the new members site last week, thanks the ErnieC and Romans5.8 for their replies and the links.
Was wondering if anyone has shortened the exhaust on a VN900 Classic? There’s lots of 2nd hand exhaust systems around so was thinking a grabbing a set and reducing the overall length. If you are asking why – just cause with a few mods I have been doing the standard exhaust just look a bit long and out of place – don’t really want to go the expense of some after market ones. My main concern is if the shortening will have any performance issues or create any potential engine issues. Hope someone can help and this is what i am planning, baffles are already removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture3.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	18170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture4.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	18178  
Channo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
MINI NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channo View Post
My first post on the main site, could only get on the new members site last week, thanks the ErnieC and Romans5.8 for their replies and the links.
Was wondering if anyone has shortened the exhaust on a VN900 Classic? There’s lots of 2nd hand exhaust systems around so was thinking a grabbing a set and reducing the overall length. If you are asking why – just cause with a few mods I have been doing the standard exhaust just look a bit long and out of place – don’t really want to go the expense of some after market ones. My main concern is if the shortening will have any performance issues or create any potential engine issues. Hope someone can help and this is what i am planning, baffles are already removed.
It won't hurt anything. Be sure to post pics if you do it.
MINI NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

You should be able to. Inside that 'back' end would be the baffles, which will have to be removed to do that (Good riddance!). In front of that is where it gets a little more complicated (eyeballing it, I don't think option three will work), that's where the cat converter is.

If it were me, I'd remove the baffles completely (It's pretty easy, I can walk you through it if you need), then I'd look inside at the 'plate' you'll see in there with another small opening, looks alot like your exhaust does NOW only further down. That's where the cat is. I would cut far enough in front of that, that you don't look at the back of the bike and see the ugly cats. ANOTHER option would be to cut in FRONT of the cats, but that would be a REALLY short exhaust...

If you look underneath the bike you can see the cat converter, it's not inline with the pipes, it's under the bike and sort of snakes around. That's the culprit. If you were pretty skilled, you could probably remove it and replace it with a welded piece of pipe inside the chrome shield. BUT, you'll possibly alter the A/F ratio and might need a programmer, and it will be super super loud without that cat! (Removing that cat and the baffles would make it a straight exhaust. Removing just the baffles makes it deeper and a little louder, but the cat still sucks up most of the noise)

EDIT: I don't know what I was looking at, option 3 will work. Any of the three cuts you have mocked up there would be behind that catalytic converter and thus not an issue. Just yank the baffles and cut!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
deadvulcan

Default VN900 Exhaust

Please post pics of what you do. Been thinking of the same thing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
deadvulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Any of the options will look great, my fav is #3.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
4U2V

A couple of days ago i had the same idea. I was looking at doing option 2. I am waiting for my 600 mile (1st) service to come tho. I figured if i don't like it i have an excuse to buy a set of V&Hs.
4U2V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I just stumbled upon these;

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ37...nt_description

I've never seen them before, but they might be an excellent option for you. Looks like you'll just cut the exhaust off at the cat, and then slip these on and bolt them in place. They look sort of like what you were planning, but have a great tone (listened to some YouTube videos) and include baffles.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
rick
Top Contributor

Garage
Default VN900 Exhaust

I like 1 or 3. Option 2 I dont think would look right with different length mufflers, may have affect on perfomance also. Kinda like unequal length headers, will work, but equals are better.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
Channo

Thanks for all the replies. I have already got the baffles out, I am only thinking of chopping around 250mm (10 inches for you boys in the states) which is just before the flange that the baffles were welded to. Now just waiting for a set of pipes to come up at a good price and I will give it a go and will put some pics up. This is what she looks like so far. I have cut my own front fender from a damaged original, chopped the rear fender and repositioned a bit lower to get rid of the massive gap, got rid of all that stuff hanging down at the back on the fender and repositioned licence plate, repositioned and change indicators to LED’s. Solo seat, de-baffled, moved foot boards forward, lowered 2 inches, new grips and a bit of black paint here and there as was all a bit neglected and rusty when I pick up. 200 tyre going on soon and chop the pipes. What next? any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG LS_0176.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	18338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG LS_0178.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	18346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG LS_0179.jpg
Views:	236