LED Flasher relay slow kit ?? where to buy ? how to DIY - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 01-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
evodog

Default LED Flasher relay slow kit ?? where to buy ? how to DIY

Hi guys, i have been thinking about doing this for a long time but never really get into it. I have went back to the thread i started months ago and i found out some people use " LED flasher relay slow kit" it just plug and play.

What i'm planing to do is change out all 4 turn signals to LED and break lights too. I found out those bulb came with kawi takes out a lot of wattage.
21W when flashing and 5w when running....

reason i want to change all is because i look at my indicator for battery, it always stay in yellow when i hold break or turn signal is flashing, but when not using signal or holding break it stay green.

so anyway i talk too much. lets get to the point, Where do i buy those flasher relay plug and play?? how do they work ? do they work lets say one flaser relay for one signal ? or one flasher relay for both rear or front ??
where do i plug in ?

thanks to anyone who have info about it or pictures how they hook it up.
thanks.
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Davego

EVO make it easy on youself and go buy a electronic flasher at any auto parts store. replace your stock flasher with the new one and all will work.Electronic flashers don't care what blubs you have they flash the same with 1 or 10.It does not depend on the blub load to make it work like the factory flasher does.Hope this helps.Have a great ride.
Davego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
evodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davego View Post
EVO make it easy on youself and go buy a electronic flasher at any auto parts store. replace your stock flasher with the new one and all will work.Electronic flashers don't care what blubs you have they flash the same with 1 or 10.It does not depend on the blub load to make it work like the factory flasher does.Hope this helps.Have a great ride.
Can you be a little more specific ? which electronic flasher should i use ?
do you have it on your bike ? if you do please let me know where you got it and what brand or part number it is. thank you so much
Old 01-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
evodog

I found these two flasher relay from old thread, does anyone have any idea how to or where to install ? pic would be helpfull, thanks

do i also need a diod for the green indicator light when i change the flasher relay ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180345282841

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290710789489
Old 01-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Vulcan_tom
Banned

If you're going to install LEDs for turn signals, you need to replace your OEM turn signal control flasher unit and install a Standard DOT Flasher below. With this 2 wire Standard DOT Flasher you will lose your automatic turn signal cancel feature, meaning you will have to push the button manually to turn off the signals.
http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_flasher.htm

Also you will need to install a Diode Kit for metric cruisers on the speedo turn signal bulb wires, here is the Diode Kit below
http://www.customdynamics.com/loadeq...iser_Diode_Kit

Diode kit goes like this in the speedo if you have a bulb.

If your bike has a circuit board in the speedo, the diode kit goes like thi.:
Vulcan_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
kingnba6
Top Contributor

easy way out, just get a led flasher relay.
kingnba6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
evodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnba6 View Post
easy way out, just get a led flasher relay.
Ok, so you mean if i get either one of the flasher relay i mentioned above from ebay. I DO NOT need to do the diode mod ??
Because i was under the impression that even i put a flasher relay i still need to do the diode mod.

So in conclusion, If i plug a FLASHER RELAY to replace the original flasher relay, I DO NOT need to do the diode mod.

Please let me know. thank you so so much.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
evodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan_tom View Post
If you're going to install LEDs for turn signals, you need to replace your OEM turn signal control flasher unit and install a Standard DOT Flasher below. With this 2 wire Standard DOT Flasher you will lose your automatic turn signal cancel feature, meaning you will have to push the button manually to turn off the signals.
http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_flasher.htm

Also you will need to install a Diode Kit for metric cruisers on the speedo turn signal bulb wires, here is the Diode Kit below
http://www.customdynamics.com/loadeq...iser_Diode_Kit

Diode kit goes like this in the speedo if you have a bulb.

If your bike has a circuit board in the speedo, the diode kit goes like thi.:
Thank you for the picture diagram, that way its a lot easier to understand.
But for VN900, do i need diode even tho i'm replacing the OEM flasher relay with LED flasher relay ??
Old 01-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
kingnba6
Top Contributor

i have no yet done it to the vulcan, but on 2 of my other bikes, i have done it [just replaced the flasher relay] and it worked 100% correctly without a diode kit.
kingnba6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
Vulcan_tom
Banned

when installing LEDs on turn signals, with a OEM flasher , it will flash at a faster then normal rate, so the Standard DOT Flasher brings the flash rate back to normal again. The Diode kit is needed because with no diode kit, when you turn the left turn signal on, all 4 front and rear signals with flash all at the same time, so with a diode kit installed, it prevents current from back-flowing to all 4 signals and it stops the flow at the turn signal bulb where you install the diodes.
Vulcan_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement