Rain Gear 4 Your bod... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Motorcycle Safety And Riding Gear Discussions

Old 01-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Vandy

Garage
Default Rain Gear 4 Your bod...

I am getting some new rain gear and would like to hear any suggestions for waterproof gear that is not too restrictive, acceptably protective (pads and armor), reasonably priced although well made, and casual looking (black, not looking too much like a fishing suit). If you have any information on any of these subjects I would sure appreciate some feedback. I look forward to hearing your thoughts...
But I was treated mercifully because I didn’t know what I was doing—didn’t know Who I was doing it against! Grace mixed with faith and love poured over me and into me. And all because of Jesus. Here’s a word you can take to heart and depend on: Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. I’m proof—Public Sinner Number One—of someone who could never have made it apart from sheer mercy.

1Tim 1, MESS Bible

2006 Vulcan900 Classic
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Gary W.
Top Contributor

Garage

I myself have not ridden in the rain, but I was just reading the thread on the adventure rider forum about the guy who went to Alaska on his 900:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=vn900&page=6

Down near the bottom this is what he said he used:

Riding Suit aka "The Space Suit":
TourMaster Centurion One-Piece Suit I bought the Space Suit specifically for this trip. Usually I would just wear a military Gor-Tex over all my riding gear (which was always a pain in the ass). But for this trip I needed something that would keep me dry, warm, and safe. Once again, this might have been an expensive purchase but it was money worth spent. After buying it I took it for a test ride through some rain and it leaked around my left leg. I took it back to the store and they had no problems with replacing it. This suit is guaranteed 100% waterproof so it was nice of them to replace it without a hassle. Unfortunately I wasn't able to test it prior to my departure because rain is a bit hard to come by out here in southern california . On the Dalton I noticed that at slow speeds it would "leak" a bit but as soon as I was going faster I stayed completely dry. Now, on that note, I can't guarantee that I actually got wet on the Dalton. It was raining and it felt like my jeans were getting wet. However, I was still on the road for a few hours and when I stopped my pants were dry so it could have simply been that I had mistaken cold with wet. Anywho, I love The Space Suit but unfortunately I won't have any use for it in the next few years. One last thing, I had to get an XXL because all the other ones were just too short for me. But I still had to take the knee protectors out because they would just dig into my knee-caps and yea, that hurt . Another important thing (sorry): The Centurion has a ton of vents, however, they didn't really do me any good because I had the windshield and yea, vents don't work too good without wind
Old 01-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Gary W.
Top Contributor

Garage

Also, if you can get Romans attention, I know he's got a lot of experience and advice in this area. Well, MOST areas!
Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
Vandy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
Also, if you can get Romans attention, I know he's got a lot of experience and advice in this area. Well, MOST areas!
Thanks guys. I am commuting to school and work in a one car family. I more times than not will be riding in the rain when it pours down from the heavens. Just wanted some good ideas and things to look for before investing hundreds into rain gear.

Albeit said, I invested somewhat blindly. Purchased RiverRoad Taos pants (black) and Firstgear Jaunt T2 Jacket (dayglo). Figured that having a first mfg. leather jacket (I love it, it rocks, and would suggest their craftsmanship and quality to anyone) that has a waterproof inner lining to wear on the outside can be my backup plan for those sunny day surprises. Dayglo will work well for those gloomy days and bad vision in motor vehicles from the elements of heavy precipitation.

I would still like to here feedback from any that have experience with these products or any others. Thanks...
But I was treated mercifully because I didn’t know what I was doing—didn’t know Who I was doing it against! Grace mixed with faith and love poured over me and into me. And all because of Jesus. Here’s a word you can take to heart and depend on: Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. I’m proof—Public Sinner Number One—of someone who could never have made it apart from sheer mercy.

1Tim 1, MESS Bible

2006 Vulcan900 Classic
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
Hockeyref
Top Contributor

I have ridden in light rain, heavy rain, and rain with extremely high winds (which was quite miserable and I don't recommend it). Buy what fits and is comfortable, I have frog toggs that go over whatever I happen to be wearing that day and they work quite well and are relatively inexpensive. If I was commuting to work every day I would probably invest in something more expensive as you have. If you have engine guards, engine guard chaps are WONDERFUL - they stop a lot of wind, rain and keep your bottom half protected. That and a windshield at the correct height so you can still see go a long way.
Lots of chrome goodies, sagebrush engine guard chaps for cold days in Manitoba, Rumble Road speakers, Garmin gps, tank bib, modified seat, Ohlins rear shock - best investment ever!!, locking saddlebags, Kuryakyn luggage, brake-away cruise control, and more stuff every year.
Hockeyref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Vandy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyref View Post
I have ridden in light rain, heavy rain, and rain with extremely high winds (which was quite miserable and I don't recommend it). Buy what fits and is comfortable, I have frog toggs that go over whatever I happen to be wearing that day and they work quite well and are relatively inexpensive. If I was commuting to work every day I would probably invest in something more expensive as you have. If you have engine guards, engine guard chaps are WONDERFUL - they stop a lot of wind, rain and keep your bottom half protected. That and a windshield at the correct height so you can still see go a long way.
Do not have engine guards. However, I do have a oem windshiled as well as in the process of making my own lowers to help with wind and rain. Thanks for the advice...

1Tim 1, MESS Bible

2006 Vulcan900 Classic
Old 03-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
The Heater
Lifetime Premium

I put rain gear over my regular MC protective wear. Step through Tour Master suit or a two piece.
The Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #8
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I get stuck in the rain all the time. Just my luck. I don't plan on it, I don't like it, I don't want to, but it never fails that I'm 500 miles from home and the heavens open up.

The one piece rain/motorcycle suits like Gary mentioned are awesome for long trips but kind of impractical for every day. However they do offer the best protection. Problem is, they are harder to store on the bike, not always practical, and while they certainly help if you're packing for a trip or heading out on a rainy day, they don't help if you're caught in the rain and you had to leave them at home. BUT, if you have enough room on the bike to store a good one piece rain suit? GO FOR IT! Just make SURE you get a motorcycle-specific rain suit that has heat protection in the legs. It's worth the extra money. It's bad enough to melt your rain suit to your pipes, but you don't wanna be those guys whose rain suit and flesh become one! Just spend the extra and get the ones treated for high heat on the lower legs, cuz in the wind and rain that material will flap around and touch the pipes. Here's what I do;

I have a Fieldsheer jacket with armor, and a rain liner. Rain liner works great. Now, a jacket with a liner will get HEAVY in the rain, wheras a rain-jacket won't because it won't get wet! The rain liner stays dry, the jacket gets soaked. But it doesn't bother me.

Tourmaster overpants, they do a great job of staying dry in all but the most insane downpours.

Scotchguard spray on the boots

Gloves I haven't figured out yet. Got some thinner leather gloves that work pretty good, though of course leather eventually saturates with water.

Full face helmet a must for riding in the rain, IMO. There are lots of great gloves with a 'visor wiper' to wipe the rain off of your visor.

Also; one thing I found- those cheap little plastic ponchos you can get at wal-mart work wonders in a pinch. Believe it or not, the 2 or 3 dollar ones that are made of heavy plastic don't work at all- they just blow up in the wind and make you look like the stay puft marshmellow man. But the thin cheap ones made out of super thin plastic work great. Like 89 cents a pop. They are so thin they cling to you and don't ride up or blow up with air. In a pinch, they work well. I always have 5 or 6 of them on my bike, along with disposable hand warmers and boot warmers. When you're out riding with unprepared buddies you can pass it out and keep them better. And if you just happen to be out and the rain hits and you don't have your rain gear- they are small enough to squeeze and fit on the bike and have them there 24/7.

I have one saddlebag dedicated to 'incidentals', it's always packed. Among tools and first aid stuff, I have;

A T-shirt, sweatshirt, socks and a pair of gym shorts. If you get caught in a sudden harsh downpour and don't have your raingear, it can be really miserable to ride in wet clothes. Having the extra T-shirt and stuff I can change and be dry, and throw the sweatshirt on because it's usually cooler when it's raining.

I have my rain liner, folded up. The aforementioned ponchos, and 'hot-hands' hand warmers and boot liners. I also have a pair of heavier leather gloves.

Also, check this out;

http://www.revzilla.com/product/fiel...port-20-jacket

That jacket (and others like it) have the 'RainGuard' features that my pants have, and let me tell you it works! The pants are thin and breathable, and you can feel air flow through them, but not a drop of water gets through them. I waded out into a creek once in my riding pants and it took 3 or 4 seconds before the water started to trickle in. I think I read somewhere the fibers swell up when they get wet so the water can't get through? I dunno, some sort of something! But it works. If you are the type that wears gear all the time, that may be the best solution of all, because it's thin and light gear you'll always be wearing, and you'll ALWAYS be waterproof. If it starts to rain you just keep riding!

Worst I've been in is actually a tornado. My buddy and I went riding, one of those classic scenes from a movie where the forecast changes as we walk out of the door. Calling for some thunderstorms early the next morning (like 2AM). Well, unbeknownst to us, it changed to 5PM. So, 5PM rolls around, we're 300 miles from home heading back, starts to rain, then storm. We pull off, get our rain gear on, starts storming like the dickens. We're riding down the interstate about 45mph, noticing that there are almost NO cars on the road AT ALL, we get pelted with hail, debris from trees start to fall. We pull off and see that this was the tip of the storm, moving about 30-40 miles an hour, and it was one bad mama jama comin up. So we decided, the best bet was to keep riding along the tip of the storm, and not wait around all night for it to get bad. In retrospect? A motel would have been a better choice, had we known. Anyway, storm picks up speed (again, we had no idea) and catches up to us. Hail and debris like crazy. We get to my house (he was another 20 minutes away, gonna wait until morning), and we start watching the news about a tornado that touched down right where we had ridden through, probably 5-10 minutes after we rode through it.

Moral of the story? Pay attention to the weather and don't mess with the storms. But, we thought we were smart, turns out we weren't. Made it out alive but what an eery experience. Everyone ELSE, with their car radios and not-dumbness, knew how bad the storm was and was gone. Kind of eerie when it's 5 in the evening in the summer, pitch black, and not another soul on the road as you and your buddy are riding along the road!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Last edited by Romans5.8; 03-16-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement