Classic 900 ideal windshield heights? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 01-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
mayorblurps

Default Classic 900 ideal windshield heights?

Yesterday we rode to a dealership just to have somewhere to ride, and of course to look at Vulcan accessories. They had a 15" Memphis Shades Slim windshield with the black gradient that when held up to my bike looked pretty awesome. The top of the windshield was below my eye level, which I thought was ideal. I don't care about looking through a windshield while driving; in fact I think I would prefer not to. I simply want some protection from the wind at high speeds to reduce fatigue, and of course save my helmet shield from bug splatter

Since I'm relatively new to motorcycling, and even newer to the Vulcan Classic I was wondering if anyone out there has a Memphis Shade Slim windshield. If so, what height did you go with?

Any thoughts or suggestions on windshield heights?

Just to throw it out there, I am about 5'8", (so no problem flat-footing the bike at stops) and proportionate, so my torso isn't long and my legs short or vice versa. As I mentioned, the 15" windshield 'appeared' to be about nose level or below when I was sitting on the bike. The guy I was working with said most people try to avoid a windshield where the top hits them at eye level since you either have to look through it or over it and are constantly adjusting their heads to do so.

I'm just a new girl (utterly addicted to my Vulcan) with plenty of questions, and always open to suggestions, feedback, and helpful hints!

Highway Hawk Extreme Fat Bar (black)
Mustang seat with backrest
Klock Werks Kontour Fairing
Kuryakyn Phase 7 LED headlight
Kuryakyn Constellation Light bar
Tsukayu hardbags
mayorblurps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

The fun thing about windshields are you never know what they will do until you get one. I had the same windshield on an 1100 v-star and it done wonderful by its self. Now I have an 08 V2K with the factory windshield. I got a lot of turbulence and air from below the windshield. I had to drill new holes and laid the windshield back to kill the turbulence. Now the air is hitting my wife square in the head. I fell like I can win for losing. I have though about just taking it off and going with out it except in the winter (wife don't ride with me much in the winter)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Chas63

Small windshields just don't do the job, IMO. The bottom of the WS should come down to within about 3/4" of the headlight to prevent too much air from going under the ws at this point. Meanwhile, the top needs to be tall enough for me to look through it at the road ahead.

I like to look about 2" or 3" below the top of the ws. Since I'm 5' 11" and sit pretty straight up on the seat, I need a tall ws. If a rider looks over the windshield, he/she had better wear glasses because sooner or later some big beatle type bug is going to hit him in the eye. I've been hit numerous times on the front of my helmet which is just about where my eyes would be if I were looking just over the windshield.

Also, head buffeting from the wind is often an issue if you look over the windshield. Just giving my opinion based on my experiences. I'm sure others may have different opinions.
Started riding motorcycles in 1963.
Chas63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
histguy

Many of the dealers have a test windscreen from Memphis Shades that you can have someone hold in place while you sit on your bike. It has markings to show you where a 13,15,17,19 inch screen will come too. I found it very handy while trying to make that same decision a few weeks back.

I ended up going with a Fats 17" on my 900. I am 5' 9" and of equal proportions. I have yet to take out the bike with the wind-shield installed to provide feedback but it seems right when I sit on it in the garage. The top of the screen is 2-3 inches below my eyes when sitting at a relaxed posture.

Add on's/Mods:

Memphis Shades Fats 17"
Cobra Short Round Sizzy Bar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Cobra Passenger Floorboards
Tsukayu Strong Leather Hard Bags
Sena SMH10 Bluetooth Communicators
Mustang Vintage Wide Touring Seat w/backrest
Baron's Front and Rear Pulleys
histguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Sit on your bike on a flat stretch of road. Measure 50' in front of your bike and put something on the road to mark the distance. Your line of sight should be able to just look over the top of the windshield and see the mark on the road.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
pacomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
Chas63

I'm curious. Why is it that we should look OVER the windshield? No one seems to complain about looking through the windshield in their car. Even if they have a convertible and have the top down, no one (that I know of) tries to look OVER the windshield. They still look THROUGH it.

If there were some severe distortion looking through a motorcycle windshield, then I could understand not wanting to look through it, but all of them that I've had were clear and perfectly normal looking through them. I've ridden for 50 years looking THROUGH windshields and haven't missed seeing anything yet.
Started riding motorcycles in 1963.
Chas63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
AZPoseur

I set mine so I look through it but don't have it any higher than that. It never occurred to me that I might want to look over the windshield.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #8
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

I have only had two windshields, both I looked over the shield (about 2 inches). I prefer to look over versus thru. Even with a new clear windshield it distorts more than I care for. I currently have a MS Batwing with a 9" windshield, and protects great (I am 6. The next size would be the 12" and think I would be looking thru the edge which would be distracting. I guess it's all personal perferrence, but I still like a little bit of wind in the face.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #9
fawlty99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas63 View Post
I'm curious. Why is it that we should look OVER the windshield? No one seems to complain about looking through the windshield in their car. Even if they have a convertible and have the top down, no one (that I know of) tries to look OVER the windshield. They still look THROUGH it.

If there were some severe distortion looking through a motorcycle windshield, then I could understand not wanting to look through it, but all of them that I've had were clear and perfectly normal looking through them. I've ridden for 50 years looking THROUGH windshields and haven't missed seeing anything yet.
Paco is correct. Measure so that you look over the shield. You might be the exception but the shields will deteriorate over time and distort your vision - esp at night. Remember that they are not made of glass but perspex or variants of that. Even micro scratches which are inevitable will have an effect. Rain will also cause visibility problems as you don't have wipers.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #10
Vandy

Garage

I would suggest trying it both ways. Try it higher, 2-3 inches above your eyes, and try it for the 50ft mark as others have said. I would not try it in between that, it is too much of a haste.

For all you rain riders out on the road, I find it nice to have the windshield over my eyes by 2-3 inches so I can look over it if need be. This also comes in handy for wet fog, which collected on the windshield like glue the other day.

What are some home remedies for fog (shaving cream?) and rain (rainx?) on our windshields to repel this condensation? I heard rainx may not be good for the plastic on our oem windshields?
But I was treated mercifully because I didn’t know what I was doing—didn’t know Who I was doing it against! Grace mixed with faith and love poured over me and into me. And all because of Jesus. Here’s a word you can take to heart and depend on: Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. I’m proof—Public Sinner Number One—of someone who could never have made it apart from sheer mercy.

1Tim 1, MESS Bible

2006 Vulcan900 Classic
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement