GPS information sought - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Motorcycle Safety And Riding Gear Discussions

Old 01-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
EzCruizin'

Garage
Default GPS information sought

I am seeking aid and assistance. I have a 2003 Nomad, and I would like to find a GPS. I have the power outlet, but I have been having a tough time finding a GPS unit that willl take heat and water, and keep on "ticking".

Anyone have experience that they will share?

Thanks
EzCruizin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
george james

Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzCruizin' View Post
I am seeking aid and assistance. I have a 2003 Nomad, and I would like to find a GPS. I have the power outlet, but I have been having a tough time finding a GPS unit that willl take heat and water, and keep on "ticking".

Anyone have experience that they will share?

Thanks
My garmin has never failed in heat or cold (range 20 to 110 f) when raining i remove it or put a sandwich bag over it.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Bear2123
Top Contributor

Default Gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by george james View Post
Sandwich

My garmin has never failed in heat or cold (range 20 to 110 f) when raining i remove it or put a sandwich bag over it.
+1 Ditto. I do the same. It is a Nuvi, and the screen cabe a little hard to see in direct sunlight. Otherwise it's great.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
EzCruizin'

Garage

What model are you guys using? I know I will get one that I also get lifetime maps, and can also use in my truck.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Bear2123
Top Contributor

Its' a Nuvi 1450. Has lifetime maps and the "Traffic" avoidance capability. I use an HD site to create routes that I download to it for trips that I map instead ot it. Noramally I run with it off. Just enjoy the ride and when I get lost, or it gets late, I turn it on and have it route me home!
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
MachU

A Garmin "ZUMO" series will operate in all weather conditions, some are even designed for motorcycles.
I believe harley even offers the zumo series in there accessories catalogue.
However, they are a bit more pricey, also you can purchase a sun shade/shield for them.

Last edited by MachU; 01-01-2013 at 08:32 PM.
MachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
EzCruizin'

Garage

Driving around Tejas, it's a great idea to have gps. There are some great rides, and normally I won't use it either. It is a necessity to have when freewheeling. I've been places and wanted to get from here to there, and took choices that would last 5-20 miles. The road would then dead end, or just end, and we had to turn around and return the way we came in. Not a horrible thing, as long as the gas tank is full or replacement ports are available.
I do enjoy taking unplanned trips, but am looking forward to having assistance once I get on the road. Thanks so much for the info.

Rubber rolls and chrome shines! and the two should never swap sides!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
Hockeyref
Top Contributor

Buy a Garmin. I have had the same Garmin Zumo 450 for 10 years and kept it through 3 different bikes. It has seen rain, wind, heat, cold, been banged around and it has kept on going. If I ever buy another motorcycle gps it will be a Garmin.
Lots of chrome goodies, sagebrush engine guard chaps for cold days in Manitoba, Rumble Road speakers, Garmin gps, tank bib, modified seat, Ohlins rear shock - best investment ever!!, locking saddlebags, Kuryakyn luggage, brake-away cruise control, and more stuff every year.
Hockeyref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #9
siriusjoe
Banned

I love my Garmin Zumo 220. Rugged, weatherproof, designed for motorcycle use.
siriusjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #10
Vandy

Garage

Garmin Zumo ($$$) as others say. Otherwise you could go with a http://www.rammount.com/Gallery/imag...AM-HOL-AQ6.jpg RAM aqua mount. I will be getting this aqua box for my RAM mount and Garmin Nuvi 2595 when the time is right...You may save some dollars this way as well...
But I was treated mercifully because I didn’t know what I was doing—didn’t know Who I was doing it against! Grace mixed with faith and love poured over me and into me. And all because of Jesus. Here’s a word you can take to heart and depend on: Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. I’m proof—Public Sinner Number One—of someone who could never have made it apart from sheer mercy.

1Tim 1, MESS Bible

2006 Vulcan900 Classic

Last edited by Vandy; 01-02-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement