Vulcan 900. Which trim? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Volcano900

Default Vulcan 900. Which trim?

Hello from Colorado,
I'll b getting a new bike this coming summer. I'm 6" tall 190pounds. I need a practical (not bulky w/ low center of gravity), comfortable (The smoothest suspension the better) & an affordable bike (under 10k). Which of the following would fit me best (Classic, LT or Custom)? Any must do mods? I'm not into looks, comfort is my thing. Is it reasonable to cruise at the 80mph range on this 900's? I'm not a motorcycle racer. Just trying to know the limitations of a mid weight twin. I don't want a big bikes such as Vaqueros and Voyagers. I really want a 900. I would like to know based on my requirements above the, trim that would work best.
Any feedback will b appreciated.
Best regards,
Volcano900
Volcano900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Graybush
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcano900 View Post
I need a practical (not bulky w/ low center of gravity), comfortable (The smoothest suspension the better) & an affordable bike (under 10k).
You pretty much described a 900. If you haven't already, try to find one you can sit on and/or test ride and see what you think. If you don't mind buying used, there are some steals to be had. A guy in town here recently sold an 07 or 08 Custom with around 10k miles for $2600. He put it on craigslist saying, "I'll drop the price $100/day until it sells" and finally it did.

Quote:
Is it reasonable to cruise at the 80mph range on this 900's? I'm not a motorcycle racer. Just trying to know the limitations of a mid weight twin.
I can hop on my bike and go 75mph from gas station to gas station which is about 180 miles on the interstate. I have a 200 rear tire which makes a difference but it isn't like adding an extra gear. I'm sure there are people who go 80mph for long periods of time but there are also people who think 50mph in 5th is too revvy. Completely stock, 75mph in 5th will be around 4200-4500rpm (80mph around 4700rpm) with the engine limited to 7200rpm. The bike doesn't mind those engine speeds but some riders do.

Quote:
Which of the following would fit me best (Classic, LT or Custom)? Any must do mods? I'm not into looks, comfort is my thing.
As far as which model, honestly, I'd say look for a steal on a used bike and make it what you want. An LT is just a Classic with some extras. The Classic and Custom are both comfortable to me but try them both and see what you think. One thing I really like about these bikes is that you can do pretty much anything you want and they still look good. Just on this forum here we have almost the full spectrum from stripped to bagger in all versions. One of the biggest complains about these bikes is the seat so be prepared to spend a few hundred dollars on a new one. If you are okay with the stock seat, then, no problem.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Volcano900

Hello Graybush,
Used is the way to go. I just don't know the mileage cut off. Should I limit my purchase to used bikes under twenty thousand miles?
Thank you very much. You've been quite helpful to say the least.
Best of luck and happiness for 2013.
Volcano900
Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Graybush
Top Contributor

You can find lots of them with <10k. If taken care of, a bike with 20k still has a lot of life left in it, but with so many used low mileage bikes I would try to find one of them first.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Volcano900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybush View Post
You can find lots of them with <10k. If taken care of, a bike with 20k still has a lot of life left in it, but with so many used low mileage bikes I would try to find one of them first.
Thanx Graybush. I'll do as you said. That's why I came to this forum, to gather as much information as possible to make a good purchase. I really appreciated.
Take care,
Volcano900
Old 12-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
Cyclesarge

Unless you are absolutely positive about what you want, get a used bike and buy right now. People have Christmas bills right now and a bike isn't gonna be useful for several months, so there are some good deals to be had. The money you save on any model you get a good deal on will go a long way toward making the bike work well for you.

To ME, the bike you are describing in your "needs" description is not a Vulcan 900 at all. I would look at the Kawaski Versys (like I just bought to replace my VN900 as my go to bike), Suzuki V-Strom, SV650, Ninja 650, ZZR600. Obviously, everyone is different, but for ME, the stock Vulcan is just downright UN-comfortable. The seat sucks, the handlebar position put me in a funky position that makes my back hurt after about 30 minutes. Stop and go traffic kills my legs having to do "straight leg lifts" to put my feet on the floorboards (as opposed to pulling my feet straight up on a sport bike or standard). The "lightweight" VN900 is no where near as easy to maneuver in a parking lot as a middleweight sport bike or standard. Also the slow steering, slow braking, and slow acceleration of the Vulcan makes me less comfortable about my safety on the road.

The reasons I'm going to keep my Vulcan? It looks cool, it's paid for (I'm into my '08 Classic with 16,XXX miles for about $3500 with brand new tires), insurance is cheap, it looks cool, gets good gas mileage, more bikes = MORE FUN, I FINALLY got it reasonably comfortable with a Saddlemen seat and 12" mini ape hangers, besides it looks cool.
Cyclesarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #7
Diamond Jim

Sit on as many bikes as you can. Each one will help you refine what you are looking for in regards to handlebar rise, width, footpeg placement and controls. Obviously you can get different handlebars, risers, foward controls, etc, but they all cost money and some degree of skill and tooling to install. If you can find a bike that needs little or no adjustment for your desires riding position then you'll save a good bit of money. Yet, if you find a great deal on a bike that is a close fit to what you want, one of the mods listed above might make it perfect. Keep in mind that if you test a bike and the brake pedal or shifter seems awkward to operate that they too can be adjusted to some degree. For instance, the previous owner of my bike must have had short legs. I had to lower (rotate forward on the splines) both the brake pedal and shift lever in order to ride comfortable. Handlebar position can be magical for both your shoulders and back. Improperly fit to you they can wreak havoc on your shoulder, upper and lower back muscles. Bars can easily be narrowed.
Diamond Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I have the LT. The Classic/LT will have a wider front tire, and a bit bigger overall look and feel. For myself and others, that's preferable. The skinny front tire on the custom will track grooves in the pavement and some have reported it being less 'smooth' (though I've never ridden one.) Others prefer the custom however, so if possible, try both. Generally though, a skinnier front tire will improve handling at the expense of some smoothness and stability.

The LT is a good deal when you get it used, as you can often get it for about what you can get a classic. If you are already planning on adding accessories like bags and a windshield and don't like the OEM bags, then go with the classic. The Classic LT windshield is very good, however (with some lowers) and is the best looking windshield, in my opinion. I've replaced the bags on mine with hard bags and added a trunk, so I've already gotten rid of the sissy bar and bags!

A sissy bar is a really crucial part for long distance touring. Even if you don't have a passenger, it's a great place to strap and secure luggage. Sissy bar mounted luggage can also make a great riders backrest. Awesome on a long solo trip. Consider the LT model or getting a tall sissy bar if you intend to tour.

The 900 doesn't have the worlds smoothest suspension, though compared to everything I've ridden in it's class it's better. It's not as nice as, say, a Harley RoadKing or a Honda Valkyrie, both of which I've ridden, but neither of which will you get for under $10k. So for the price, I think you are in the right ballpark for a comfy bike.

You shouldn't have any problem getting a Classic LT for $5k. Don't be scared off by older models, there have been no real changes in the line since it debuted. I'd look around until you found the trim you want under $5k, if it were me. (And it was a year ago, and I got my classic LT with 8k miles for just under $5k!)

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
V-Rider

Garage
Default Do I have the bike for you!

I may have just what you are looking for. I have added some real nice things for comfort such as the #1 thing in my opinion, the seat, along with boards for the passenger. Check it out @ http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=30504 and let me know if you have any questions about it or would like some more pics.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
kyvulcan900

I have a Class LT and Custom. For being a bad boy I like the custom for comfort I like the LT. If i had to sell one of them it would be the custom.
Advertisement